Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you can jump it straight to the starter, you know safely... try that, if that fails or you can't/don't wanna, change the starter... they get old and the bearings and brushes get wore out making them hard to turn over, amplify that to the fords something like 32-1 compression...(don't remember exactly but its stupid high). and you get a starter that turns slow or not at all under load, but will spin fine on its own.

all they do at the parts store is jump it straight to a battery and see if it spins and the bendix ingages.

My friend load tested it and it tested good. I'm betting that the one I replaced was good also.
But here's a?? Does the diesel ford have a voltage regulator. Could that be doing this
That black box thingy is looking to be more like the culprit. Or the key switch.

Like all fords regulator is separate from the alternator, black box only controls the transmission and maybe the rpm gauge (on older diesels... from pics seem to remember yers being late 80's early 90's)

Should be a sub solenoid on the passengers side fender well (the main solenoid for gassers) but otherwise the batteries are wired more or less direct to the starter, except for the solenoid that engages them.

yers being late 80's early 90's)

Should be a sub solenoid on the passengers side fender well (the main solenoid for gassers) but otherwise the batteries are wired more or less direct to the starter, except for the solenoid that engages them.[/QUOTE]

This is the solenoid/ relay we replaced with a new one.

Don't know how to yet

Well it probably won't pertain to your truck, but my '01 Ford has a solenoid bolted to the inside of the front quarter near the battery. A pos lead goes to that and then one from the key and one to the starter. I just use a jumper to bypass from the pos lead to the starter.

Re-reading northmans post that's pretty much what he said. I've also had problems with my transmission relay. The truck didn't want to start because it didn't think it was in park. It would just click at that solenoid.

Last edited:
yers being late 80's early 90's)

Should be a sub solenoid on the passengers side fender well (the main solenoid for gassers) but otherwise the batteries are wired more or less direct to the starter, except for the solenoid that engages them.

This is the solenoid/ relay we replaced with a new one.[/QUOTE]

Should be a second bigger solenoid on the starter itself, like a chevy starter, it engages the bendix, and switches to full power, which if its bad you might as well change the starter

This is the solenoid/ relay we replaced with a new one.

Should be a second bigger solenoid on the starter itself, like a chevy starter, it engages the bendix, and switches to full power, which if its bad you might as well change the starter[/QUOTE]

You can rebuild the solenoid on the starter for cheap, but its really worth it to get a new starter. I was having heat soak problems on my fox, starts fine cold, wont turn at all hot.. very annoying...

Last edited by a moderator:
I have refrained from chiming in on the starter woes of idi fords...:frown:the best starter I came across for those things was the nippon denso. And I agree with northman... change the starter.

When we put new batteries in the pick ups at the shop we always change both. If one goes bad the other one isn't to far behind and it's usually weak already. If jumping the solenoid doesn't turn 'er over then I agree with Northman and change the starter. If it's gotten worse the past two weeks the starter has probably had it. Had starters go in a couple Macks last week solenoid would click with the key and had power at the starter but wouldn' turn over. Mechanic changed the starter and VROOM, fired right up. Hope you get 'er goin'.

My buddy Josh owns an Auto Electric shop. . . If you're still having troubles Glen, I'll call him tomorrow and run this situation by him.

Rebuilding starters isn't hard, you do have to know what the heck you're doing though -- same goes for alternators. Josh knows some neat tricks from years of being in the biz. He's even rebuilding the roller clutches in the drives -- which wasn't done in the past, the drives were just replaced.

And Nipple Denzo's are the good ones to have.

Here's a little 346 action from the other day.

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/42F8AOJNhgI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

My buddy Josh owns an Auto Electric shop. . . If you're still having troubles Glen, I'll call him tomorrow and run this situation by him.

Rebuilding starters isn't hard, you do have to know what the heck you're doing though -- same goes for alternators. Josh knows some neat tricks from years of being in the biz. He's even rebuilding the roller clutches in the drives -- which wasn't done in the past, the drives were just replaced.

And Nipple Denzo's are the good ones to have.

I know an old timer up in VA with a shop out in the country. That old man is the starter/alternator king. People like that are hard to find and disappearing fast.

I know an old timer up in VA with a shop out in the country. That old man is the starter/alternator king. People like that are hard to find and disappearing fast.

They are a dying trade for sure. With all the Mexican't and chicom junk, people just want to buy from the auto parts store and throw them away when they go bad.

Tramp if all else fails give the starter a clunk with a hammer (if ya haven't already) it worked for me once........sparked a bit but it got me to the shop lol

TB, if my day with my Rhino flex wing is any indication, you will soon see a light at the end of the tunnel, of course you'll have to dig through a bunch of #### to get to that point.
This morning I remembered I had an old land pride finish mower sitting on the back of my property, and scavenged the PTO shaft from that. Turns out to be an inch too long, but hacksaw mod fixes that. Suddenly I'm mowing! 5 minutes later I hit a stump hard enough to stall the tractor. Restarted, re-engaged the PTO, and clankity/clankity/clank, spindle bolt broke and the three others went with it. I'm loving this, because the mower has just given me the opportunity to do two of the things I like least about mowing. Replacing a spindle (always seems to leave me with less knuckle skin, but locktite seems to stop bleeding), and replacing a belt. But hey, we're mowing again. Until the outermost front wheel of the port side deck decides to catch sideways and pull the tire off the wheel, turning my mower into a trencher. Awesome, back to the old land pride, scavenge a yoke/wheel combo, set the mowing height, and finally finish my front 10 acres. Seemed like a crisis cause my 4 kids were camping with grandparents this weekend which is a rare opportunity to accomplish anything at all. Hope you and Bitz get y'all's stuff working without as much fun as I had.

P.S. Bustedup's thing about tapping the solenoid with the hammer has started my stuff a time or two. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back