Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bump. No undercut Coos bay. The picture is taken from where the back-cut will be made.

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk 2

I wish I could take pictures with my eyes. Today I was wedging over a dead hemlock when a freaking peregrine falcon flew up and landed on the top. I said, "hey bird, get outta here!" The bird looked down at me, I yelled at it again with no success. So I gave the wedge a smack and off it went! I doubt that will ever happen again!

That was really smooth. Much respect for the ability. I like how you combined hanging in there to avoid fiber pull and running away like a big girl:rock: I would have run away like a little girl, prolly with some squealing:biggrin:

That was really smooth. Much respect for the ability. I like how you combined hanging in there to avoid fiber pull and running away like a big girl:rock: I would have run away like a little girl, prolly with some squealing:biggrin:

Good stuff right there Husk! LOL!

Jacked my first tree yesterday. It was on the edge of a gas pipeline ROW, so I figured that was justification enough to learn how to do something new. Here's the stump:

temporary_zpsc4b3aa3c.jpg

and here you can see the ROW:

temporary_zpsb6006e6b.jpg

Really didn't need to jack it, but it was a lot less work than wedging. That's just a 20-T bottle jack with a steel plate sitting on top of it. It stayed put pretty well, but then it only needed a couple of inches of lift to tip. Figure this means I have another trick in my bag.

nice nathan. have you thought of trying to put a gauge on it? that would make me feel better on bigger sticks.

would post more pics , but i don't have a personal photographer to tag along.:msp_rolleyes:

nice nathan. have you thought of trying to put a gauge on it? that would make me feel better on bigger sticks.

If jacking trees is ever something I do regularly, I will definitely put a gauge on it. In this case, I palmed the wedge in to take up the slack after every pump or two. 21 pumps bought me 2 inches. Almost no wind. 150 ft tall, 32" at the stump. Different conditions would have changed the game. I would also very much like to have a way to actually fasten the plate to the top of the piston. Pretty sure I could have gotten into trouble had the wind and weight moved things around more than they did.

I know who will not be leading the wedge bashing fitness class:mad:

Still got a twinge of pain in my left shoulder from the last time I got over-ambitious with the wedging.

Last edited:
I would also very much like to have a way to actually fasten the plate to the top of the piston.

I may be misremembering, but I think Bitz has a 60 ton with a largish plate welded to the top of the piston

Still got a twinge of pain in my left shoulder from the last time I got over-ambitious with the wedging.

I'll sign you up for Tramp's bashing class:msp_biggrin:

Latest posts

Back