Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally had cause to try Cody's alternate siswheel method (the one where you slide the cut off the face rather than pulling out a wedge behind it) and found it to be easier and more effective. Turns out the question isn't so much how far can you pull it but rather how far do you need to pull it.

As you can see, I overshot by just enough to inconvenience myself.

I like the block style, but with faces so close to the ground the v type is easier. If its a high stump il use the block.

I like the block style, but with faces so close to the ground the v type is easier. If its a high stump il use the block.

i'll bet i used 20 siswheels today, cutting a chestnutty oakish high knob there at B.C.

I also left a russian coupling on a monster red oak sidehilled at the bottom of the cable's reach, just to tap it 30 minutes later with another chestnut oak, just enough to release it and hear it steam roll far enough to probably be out of reach. bye bye 800 or so bf.

pretty good day though

i'll bet i used 20 siswheels today, cutting a chestnutty oakish high knob there at B.C.

I also left a russian coupling on a monster red oak sidehilled at the bottom of the cable's reach, just to tap it 30 minutes later with another chestnut oak, just enough to release it and hear it steam roll far enough to probably be out of reach. bye bye 800 or so bf.

pretty good day though

That there is why I keep a 100' or so of cable laying around, makes one Hel of a tag out choker... not worth it on little stuff, but if its high dollar I don't mind taking a little extra time to drag line out to it. Also comes in handy for throwing a few snatch blocks in the works for really big SOB's that are stuck in a hole...

I like to see more on this, pics. hard to see jus what ya did.

Here's some video of Cody showing the technique at the GTG last spring.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/QqIl7-ac0xw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nice looking work Sam! Looks like fun wood to be in!

Joe- I'm sure that coupling was in a pretty hairy place too. Anytime I've ever left one its in a bad spot and judging how much wood is have left can be tough. Fortunately I've got the ground where I don't have too often.

Last edited:
I know this may sound lame. But I finally got my saw in the mail on its way to MDavLee. Its only about 5 weeks since I said I'de send it.

I already said Lame.
Now that I've discovered how light the LW bars are. It will mostly live with 36" bars on it. They balance it better than the 32" all steel bars.

Here's some video of Cody showing the technique at the GTG last spring.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/QqIl7-ac0xw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That's the one. He shows it pretty well in a few of his fireline videos as well. It's the same principle as the "classic" sis, only easier to do. I think maybe the "classic" (I'm gonna call it that from now on, I think) might be a better choice if it's critical that a tree hit a very specific spot, since it has that wood in front of the stretched hinge to say "stop here". Meanwhile, I think I'll just keep learning what I can, when I can.

Ok here goes Hemlock falling - YouTube

This video was taken a day after I got out of the hospital, so I was about a pint low on the red stuff, hence I wasn't thinking real clear or moving as well as normal... still got it down though and mostly where I wanted it.

Now that I got the pooter thing figured out I can maybe take some better vids.

I'm actually down a saw and yep got the machine back together. Ended up needing a new flywheel and some other crap. About two grand in parts and nearly two weeks down. I had wrong parts sent to me and lots of bull#### customer service from the parts people at Cummins. When I wasn't playin grease monkey I cut a good chunk of the next job. Got to skidding on it today.

Block face sizwheel with the far side cut off. This pic was from a couple of months ago.

attachment.php

This was what I packed in for a short day of cutting at the end of a job. Typically I'd have 1.5 to 2 gallons of mix and another gallon of water depending on how hot it is. The metal bottles go on my wedge belt. Extra chains in the pack. T.P. Spark plug. Couple of tools. Extra wedges. Starter cord. Electrical tape. Extra ear plugs. Extra gloves. Lunch. Snack. The winter pack gets heavier. That pack along with the short bar means I almost never have to pack out to the truck while cutting. Its tough to make money when you are walking around looking for things.
attachment.php

View attachment 306728
View attachment 306729

Ok here goes Hemlock falling - YouTube

This video was taken a day after I got out of the hospital, so I was about a pint low on the red stuff, hence I wasn't thinking real clear or moving as well as normal... still got it down though and mostly where I wanted it.

Now that I got the pooter thing figured out I can maybe take some better vids.

I had actually seen this video before on one of those "mysteries of Bigfoot" tv shows.
:cheers::cheers:That one would have been perfect for the new 42". I liked how you kept the backcut moving left handed while placing wedges right handed. I also enjoyed how you raised the degree of difficulty by building that obstacle course at the stump:rock: Just don't forget your friends on the "kids" thread now that you've hit the big time:biggrin::cheers:

I'm actually down a saw and yep got the machine back together. Ended up needing a new flywheel and some other crap. About two grand in parts and nearly two weeks down. I had wrong parts sent to me and lots of bull#### customer service from the parts people at Cummins. When I wasn't playin grease monkey I cut a good chunk of the next job. Got to skidding on it today.

Block face sizwheel with the far side cut off. This pic was from a couple of months ago.

attachment.php

This was what I packed in for a short day of cutting at the end of a job. Typically I'd have 1.5 to 2 gallons of mix and another gallon of water depending on how hot it is. The metal bottles go on my wedge belt. Extra chains in the pack. T.P. Spark plug. Couple of tools. Extra wedges. Starter cord. Electrical tape. Extra ear plugs. Extra gloves. Lunch. Snack. The winter pack gets heavier. That pack along with the short bar means I almost never have to pack out to the truck while cutting. Its tough to make money when you are walking around looking for things.
attachment.php

View attachment 306728
View attachment 306729

don't ya just love how a simple thing turns into a major ordeal. nice pic of the sis by the way.

I've been thinking on the whole packing gas, oil and water. I seem to stop mostly for water so I'm thinking on getting a little canteen type thing... just haven't found the right option.

Having stuff hang off of bits of rope would totally #### up my already flailing balance though...

Maybe a camel back? Especially if I could modify it to hook on my wedge belt and act as spenders?

Just some things I think about rather then watching my bar tip or about the fact that limbing and bucking really sucks on steep ground... (trying to figure out a way to show the angle of the dangle of the last few days...)

Back