Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hell I don't even pay for bars the boss does. I just like to get our moneys worth out of them. Being a young gun has nothing to do with it. Just trying to keep all the costs down I can

For longer, expensive bars (Tsumura and Sugihara come to mind) -- it's probably worth the effort to rebuild the rails.

My local saw shop hardly does it anymore except for harvester bars. Johnny homeowner bars aren't pricey enough to justify the labor.

Eventually I'll have my BarShop setup, & I will be able to regrind and reslot after welding up the worn rails.

Been a while since I've posted been busy cheating using the hydraulic saw a bit
6b70fa378e2ab3912323935a5c671232.jpg

The before
9c1c83043216adb1a715e8c2379a3401.jpg

The after

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heres a big wolfy ash I cut for the county this morning. I had set a cable in it and the plan was to have a county guy pull it. Well I got there at 5 to get set up and once I saw how clean the face was I decieded to jack it. I knew it had some rot cuz I bored it months ago when I agreed to cut it. She was 4ft across the hinge and it took 3 1/2 inches to tip er. After I got over my double stack of wedges I put a chunk in so I could keep a wedge tight. Thats the square piece laying there. I didn't have my jack seat deep enough originally. Man I hate these big topped bitches. The county guys showed up at 6:30 all scratchin their heads.

Blockin out.jpgBlocked out.jpg

Lifting.jpg

Tipped.jpg

Snipe.jpg

wow, i never seen an ash that short with that big a top. all of um here look like the second pic only with no heart. i am jealous of the new tires:****you:

i don't think i'd get away with that in white oak here even if it was punky.....i have pulled that much in red oak though.
That park must have been donated land by a farm or something. I'm guessing that ash was a fence line tree. Don't worry you can get away with that in all oak. Punky or not. What do you guys get for a new 23.1 x 26? That was 2 grand. Its a primex log monster. 16 ply. I had qoutes well into the 3s.

IDK, once the rails start spreading, the chain slops around, cuts get crooked/bind and you slow down. I tighten the rails with a bench vise (could never make the fancy tool work), but they will always spread really quickly.
Colton could pick up a new 16" bar for 25 bucks
You sure that"s why your cuts are crooked?

That park must have been donated land by a farm or something. I'm guessing that ash was a fence line tree. Don't worry you can get away with that in all oak. Punky or not. What do you guys get for a new 23.1 x 26? That was 2 grand. Its a primex log monster. 16 ply. I had qoutes well into the 3s.
no clue bro, dammed if i will pay for a new tire........so far, used 23s are becoming scarce. i did pick up three a couple years ago off a junked franklin.........300 bucks on wheels. the fourth was slick, the three are 75%. i am looking all the time.
if i did have to buy new, i'd prolly search the internet for free freight and mount them myself, tire guys around here think they are worth a lot of money..........even though they pinch the tube most of the time.
i have a 28 mounted tube less, that may be the way to go. rim must be clean though or it will leak.

Used are tough to find. I can't justify paying 500 bucks for a tire at 30 percent. Thats what I got when I called around. All the tires were near new when I bought this machine. They are probably 80 percent or better yet. The tire that went bad was flattened when a guy I had runnin the machine almost tipped it two years ago. It damaged a lot of the cords and the sidewall really opened up this last winter. I had it sectioned repaired once but it opened in other spots. Too bad to cuz there was a lot of tread left.

Had a new thing happen last week ,2/3 into the back cut on a cedar and the bar nuts fell off ,was cutting ,looked up ,looked down then the sprocket cover hit the ground ,then zing..........powerhead is in my hand running with no bar on it ,luckily i had 3 wedges in the back cut so the bar slid back out ,bar nuts were lost forever though ,had hike up the hill to grab a couple more :confused:

Find those bar nuts Brian. They are in the sawdust somewhere. Just take your file or bar wrench and stir up the sawdust till you hear that clinking sound. Lol
I was cutting on a hill ,lot of slough brush on ground and branches and nettles ,i looked in the chips for a bit and gave up ,factory stihl ones too :( ,i would have rather found them then hike up that hill ,hills make me breathe hard and sweat and stuff .

Latest posts

Back