Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Skeans i run a 32 on a 461, i love it. it has more grunt than you'd expect from 77cc but i don't think it would be happy with more than that.
there is alot of truth to what John said, husky is a fine saw, my hands just a stihl better.
i also prefer to adjust my own carb. if stihl made a 90cc just like the 461 i would order three of them tomorrow.
Mike I'll go down and look tonight at what I have for some chains I can set up to send your way, all rakers are set at .25 though and I'll toss them on the grinder to make sure they are sharp as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

25 is fine in pine. time i file a few times they will be 20 lol. lemme know what ya find. i have a semi skip here if you want it, i just don't like it.
I'll throw it on the grinder and I'm sure you won't want them at 20 anymore Mike they are more aggressive then a factory chain set at 25. Semi skip is normally a bit faster and smoother I've noticed and it doesn't take as long to grind as full comp. If it's too aggressive Mike let me know.

yes it can be grabby. more so in non fibrous timber like oak. but i have found ways to make it smooth as silk..........020 rakers, but it has to be sharp, the corner must be near perfectly aligned, no beak or it will be dull in seconds. also i found that a side plate near even with the top plate makes for a smooth cut. now in pine, a slight forward lean is faster.......more fibrous wood.

Does square get grabby? I run 30 on my rakers. The saw shop gave me two loops of semi-skip a few years ago. I couldn't chase my backcuts like I could with the full skip. It wasn't as bad as full comp tho.
30 works on round ok but 25 on square seems to be smooth for boring ,when i go back to round now,it all feels grebby to me

Any skip isn't as smooth as a full comp chain or às fast I just hate how long it takes to grind. Semi is a compromise between the a little more vibration a little harder to bore with too, then full skip is only good personally on a true long bar where you need the chips to clean out because you're running a small powerhead like a 60 on a 395.

Any skip isn't as smooth as a full comp chain or às fast I just hate how long it takes to grind. Semi is a compromise between the a little more vibration a little harder to bore with too, then full skip is only good personally on a true long bar where you need the chips to clean out because you're running a small powerhead like a 60 on a 395.

Hardwood seems to be a different story. Full comp will bind and you'll end up splittin yer tree out chasin the back. Believe me I tried full comp for several months on the 32". Semi wasn't a night and day difference either. Our trees are shorter, more top weighted, and fall faster. I really don't bore either. Just the guts from the face.

Hardwood seems to be a different story. Full comp will bind and you'll end up splittin yer tree out chasin the back. Believe me I tried full comp for several months on the 32". Semi wasn't a night and day difference either. Our trees are shorter, more top weighted, and fall faster. I really don't bore either. Just the guts from the face.
Skip Square is Great on 28" and up Hardwoods.

I've got Full Comp Square that's Sharp as ****, and it does a good Job, but it takes forever to sharpen.

Are you running 32" 63 3/8? You should be able to chase easily with comp or semi skip because I bore and do run straight out the back in some hardwoods alder maple and the little oak that is around here.

b9680a4653418ae158e0042190ff9f2c.jpg

New vs ground

Back