Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
b9680a4653418ae158e0042190ff9f2c.jpg

New vs ground

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Top one looks either dirt on the edge or the cutter or dull to me ?,the corner looks spooned over ?
Bottom one is shallower than i grind ,but looks like it will last good that way .

Top one looks either dirt on the edge or the cutter or dull to me ?,the corner looks spooned over ?
Bottom one is shallower than i grind ,but looks like it will last good that way .
It was a used one it was just to give the east coast guys an idea. It's a little on the small side most of the time I keep my wheel big enough that I nip the tie straps a touch.

Does square get grabby? I run 30 on my rakers. The saw shop gave me two loops of semi-skip a few years ago. I couldn't chase my backcuts like I could with the full skip. It wasn't as bad as full comp tho.
The more angle on the side-plate, the grabber it can get IMO.

90 degree side plate is smooth as silk. 80 degrees makes a perfect marriage of feed and smoothness.

It was a used one it was just to give the east coast guys an idea. It's a little on the small side most of the time I keep my wheel big enough that I nip the tie straps a touch.

Here is a 3/8 semi skip ,looks like has been used in the pic ,but shows about the angles i am running ,seems to self feed ok hybrid 440 square chain .030 11-18-14 001.JPG hybrid 440 square chain .030 11-18-14 011.JPG hybrid 440 square chain .030 11-18-14 013.JPG
I have a bunch of .404 chains i got from redbull660 that were run for a couple cuts each for oil tests he is doing ,so i have pretty much rotated out most of my 3/8 now and running .404 full skip for cutting ,and full comp for milling .the .404 has a sprocket size between 7 and 8 for 3/8 ,seems to help chain speed a little .,the main thing i like about .404 is it is tougher ,if i hit the ground ,it does not take the outer corner out easy like 3/8 does .

wheel angles 404 silvey wheel 121.JPG404 silvey wheel 126.JPG

Here is a 3/8 semi skip ,looks like has been used in the pic ,but shows about the angles i am running ,seems to self feed ok View attachment 462200 View attachment 462201 View attachment 462203
I have a bunch of .404 chains i got from redbull660 that were run for a couple cuts each for oil tests he is doing ,so i have pretty much rotated out most of my 3/8 now and running .404 full skip for cutting ,and full comp for milling .the .404 has a sprocket size between 7 and 8 for 3/8 ,seems to help chain speed a little .,the main thing i like about .404 is it is tougher ,if i hit the ground ,it does not take the outer corner out easy like 3/8 does .

wheel angles View attachment 462210View attachment 462209
Just by eyeing your pics, looks like you and I run the same angles.

Your angles I've run before, more robust fer sure.

Just by eyeing your pics, looks like you and I run the same angles.
Different chains turn out a little different sometimes for me ,sometimes the side is more up and down ,but generally they come out close to those pics
Here is one i found the side plate is more up and down for some reason .seemed a little less grabby ,maybe because of no hook on the side .square chain 4-6-15 114.JPG square chain 4-6-15 107.JPG square chain 3-31-15 012.JPG square chain 3-31-15 010.JPG

I ran them like that before and didn't care for it they chattered in the cut the wheel angles are 10 degrees and 60 degrees. Where as my normal wheel setting are 25 and 65.

Run what you prefer, that is what I do sir. :)

The worst square still cuts better than round chain.

Are you running 32" 63 3/8? You should be able to chase easily with comp or semi skip because I bore and do run straight out the back in some hardwoods alder maple and the little oak that is around here.

Yep. Full comp binds up when really hoggin on it. I don't really bore anything. If I think I can't keep up with the backcut I do a T style coos bay.

The more angle on the side-plate, the grabber it can get IMO.

90 degree side plate is smooth as silk. 80 degrees makes a perfect marriage of feed and smoothness.
i run the same as you and Brian. last year when i got in that block of really big poplar i started using a 90 degree side plate, it really made a big difference. i do agree that 80 makes a real nice all around chain.
i bet skeans chain would be great in pine.
i also like a very clean gullet, i cut them about every three filings. of course, i do it all with a file. must have on glasses and must watch what i'm doing. if i get it right with no beak, it will last a long time.

i run the same as you and Brian. last year when i got in that block of really big poplar i started using a 90 degree side plate, it really made a big difference. i do agree that 80 makes a real nice all around chain.
i bet skeans chain would be great in pine.
i also like a very clean gullet, i cut them about every three filings. of course, i do it all with a file. must have on glasses and must watch what i'm doing. if i get it right with no beak, it will last a long time.
If you look at the way my grinder is set up you can grind the gullets with the last picture I put up the slide has an axis. The way I normally do my chains is what I use in hardwoods as well especially if clear cutting. Like I did say if I adjust it like I'm doing gullets I get a lot of chatter through the saw and it's not smooth Mike.

from today, took about an hour to get it down, ran out of wedges, ran out of gas, had to run and yak at the self loader jockey... worth it though, 107' of logs, 38" on the stump, 137' tall ish... first pic is from the top looking back.

View attachment 462821 View attachment 462822 View attachment 462823
Looks good a 42? I was told we're going to run back into an older stand of 200' tall stuff again should be interesting.

Latest posts

Back