Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got my lincoln 125 plus and thelincoln weldan 225, figured I'd use 7018 on it, maybe stick it together with the mig, Plan on using 3x2-1/2 tubing 3/16 wall or so, gusseted with 1/4 plate, got most all the plan in my head like most of my home projects.... can't seem to handle measuring things when I'm not getting paid to.
That'd be a perfect place to build yourself a jig then it'd go nice and fast if something happens to one too

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Got my lincoln 125 plus and thelincoln weldan 225, figured I'd use 7018 on it, maybe stick it together with the mig, Plan on using 3x2-1/2 tubing 3/16 wall or so, gusseted with 1/4 plate, got most all the plan in my head like most of my home projects.... can't seem to handle measuring things when I'm not getting paid to.
Would you be ahead to find an old mule train pup?

Nice spruce from today average stand diameter is increasing while I move down the hill in my clearcut.

Slower then molasses this winter with mud season every other week and ice in between.

This one bushed out pretty early, but nice sized around.

cff46390e6cfe3cdf6bec07d17ff09f4.jpg

ab9cbda083262f2d119805b6e9385342.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Would you be ahead to find an old mule train pup?

Would need a different truck one with air brakes, and a cdl. Otherwise eventually the plan is to get a tandem axle dumper a bigger better trailer, then maybe add the pup. But first an excavator and dozer.

Would need a different truck one with air brakes, and a cdl. Otherwise eventually the plan is to get a tandem axle dumper a bigger better trailer, then maybe add the pup. But first an excavator and dozer.
If you're going to take it on the road you'll have to certify it.

the truck and trailer? yeah, and get a cdl and all sorts of headache... and better insurance, tonnage, a shrink maybe.

Also, you'll have to sign up for a drug testing program administered by your insurance company. And don't forget BIT inspections and reams of paperwork. Trucks are a pain.

More from this job. Guess its been a while since I've been able to see my wood all laid out.

View from the road again with everything laid out in this kettle.

kettle1sidehilldown2.jpg

Skid trail comes out from the bottom and goes from right to left here onto that little saddle and out.

kettle1west.jpg

From the other side. Skid trail right to left here. Landing in the far distance center.

kettle1downnorth.jpg

Average stick in here. A lot of these trees have been dead for 5+ years I think. LOTS of lookin up and running on this job.

averagestick.jpg

Nice living stick. 40" on stump. 60' to the crotch.

nicestick.jpg

Pretty pist about this, but I called it when I first moved in. I told the forester I wanted to lay the wood along the road. He insisted (per the landowner) that we make the landing off the road like in the first set of pics. Didn't take long to run into trouble with that. Ended up having to move a lot of wood.

landingmoved.jpg

Nice spruce from today average stand diameter is increasing while I move down the hill in my clearcut.

Slower then molasses this winter with mud season every other week and ice in between.

This one bushed out pretty early, but nice sized around.

cff46390e6cfe3cdf6bec07d17ff09f4.jpg

ab9cbda083262f2d119805b6e9385342.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

We've had a real mild winter too. 53 degrees today. Reminds me of the first winter I went logging. Don't know how I made it thru that one. Gas was $4.25 a gallon too then. Fillin the truck every other day was 100 bucks. My wife thought I had made a big mistake. I just kept pushing.

We re in the middle of a warm stretch for sure. Getting into the high thirties. We still have decent snow cover and low teens at night, but the county boys will get itchy to post the roads at the first sign of sun, regardless of temp.

Two weeks left on this job, which is on restricted road, then class A for breakup. We need to pound some frost into the next job though or we won't be able to work it.

You have something lined up for spring, or going to kick up your heels?

Yes they are but also worth it at the same time.

You're right. With your own trucks you know what you've got and you can be pretty sure they'll show up every day. Plus, they're a good write-off.
All the same, they're still a major PITA.

This was our experience. It was a happy day when the last truck was sold.

I understand that. Running a fleet of company trucks, or even just a couple, gets harder every year.
Just before I retired the company I was working for went to an electronic system for the driver's logbooks. They were pretty much forced into it by the insurance companies. No more paper logbooks, all the driver did was push buttons on a keyboard and satellite tracking kept an eye on everything. They showed me some of the printouts. It showed everything the driver had done all day in minute detail.
No more chiseling a couple of extra hours every day if you needed them to get the job done. Lots of short days because there wasn't time, legally, to go get another load. The driver's hated it, the company hated it, and it really cut into productivity.
The gypos liked it because they were still running the old style log books and with a little creative book keeping they could work however they needed to to make a day.

It's been five years since our last one went. We have worked with quite a few subs in the mean time, but we havent had a log book, medical card, inspection report or flat tire. In that time

Been working with the current guys for almost two years now. Good rigs, good drivers, on time and get the job done. What more could you ask?

We re in the middle of a warm stretch for sure. Getting into the high thirties. We still have decent snow cover and low teens at night, but the county boys will get itchy to post the roads at the first sign of sun, regardless of temp.

Two weeks left on this job, which is on restricted road, then class A for breakup. We need to pound some frost into the next job though or we won't be able to work it.

You have something lined up for spring, or going to kick up your heels?
Not much of a winter to keep up my heels on. It rained from midNov- mid Dec and Didn't get cold til new years here. I've got a break up clearcut to do that is halfway decent timber so I've got that to fall back on. I pray its a dry spring after that.

I'm trespassing over here again so I'll keep my head down and stay close to the ground. I borrowed the technique from the wedge stacking thread today to get out of a jam. As most of you know I hate cutting small trees because I am absolutely no good at it. Anyways I misread the lean on two small trees and pinched my saw. Now without a doubt NM and some of you could have just muscled the tree over in the intended direction but they were too heavy for me. First one I just re-cut it at 90 degrees of the originally intended direction and put it in a little gap. The other I bore cut from the face side a wedge slot and hammered it over. I took a whack to my finger by hitting the chain brake on my first good swing. It still hurts. Anyway below are a few pictures. BTW when I was forced to stack wedges on a 24" dead red oak, I did it the old fashion way. One advantage to cutting firewood over logging is I usually can make the stump height whatever I want.

IMG_1032.JPG IMG_1041.JPG IMG_1044.JPG IMG_1060.JPG

Ron

Usually I get to cut after the logging, this go around no logging has occurred and I was told I could cut anything I wanted, Couldn't bring myself to waste good live trees without double checking with the owners so I just cut culls today. While documenting the wedge technique I took pictures of the type of live junk I am cutting - first two are of a doggy poplar next to a nice white oak I saved and the other two are of a snake of a 18" red oak.

IMG_1061.JPG IMG_1066.JPG

IMG_1068.JPG IMG_1072.JPG

Ron

Latest posts

Back