Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a spare set of West coast dawgs if you're interested.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Thanks for the offer. I've got a set of five points from Baileys, one from Madsens, and the bigger stock 4 points from husky. The set from Madsens is thicker than the baileys set, but I always find a way to use my saw to break my fall. I don't even bust out undercuts with em anymore. The two five point sets are cracked on the outer dawg. The stock huskys are not, but they don't get the leverage I need around the roots swells.

Thanks for the offer. I've got a set of five points from Baileys, one from Madsens, and the bigger stock 4 points from husky. The set from Madsens is thicker than the baileys set, but I always find a way to use my saw to break my fall. I don't even bust out undercuts with em anymore. The two five point sets are cracked on the outer dawg. The stock huskys are not, but they don't get the leverage I need around the roots swells.
Another way to help not burn through too is use a copper backing then crack the volts and wire speed up like it needs and then heat to slowly cool as well.

never actually used the copper backing... always thing about it after I blow holes in important stuff.
Those copper spoons from harbor freight are great and cheap.
cff06fdb94c83d868b9db6dfd131434e.jpg
1dd8891c9edcfc88b67bc78466f23cc8.jpg

Damn batteries went out in my hood.

got a solar powered version, not sure who makes it, not horrible fright, but so far its been my favorite enexpensive too, like 70 bucks and no redneck flames on it either.
Some of the solar ones don't go dark enough for tig welding is the issue.

Those copper spoons from harbor freight are great and cheap.
cff06fdb94c83d868b9db6dfd131434e.jpg
1dd8891c9edcfc88b67bc78466f23cc8.jpg

Damn batteries went out in my hood.

The batteries are dying in mine. Annoying. Anyway what is going on in the first pic and whats with the copper? I taught myself to weld 10 years ago on a stick machine. Its still all i use and im pretty good at it, but that pretty much means i know very little about the rest.

the copper acts as a heat sink, allowing you turn the amps up and get good penetration on relatively thin material, and keeps the puddle from dropping out the bottom. Though stick welding thin material is still going to be an ass ache. As i said before known about them for years even have some copper laying around just in case... never think about it until after I fill all the holes I just made.

If you have a few exter bucks consider getting a mig set up, probably around 600 for a mid grade homeowner model and a bottle, maybe a little more if you go all out and get upper end stuff. Not as powerful as a proper stick machine, but nice clean welds for the average do it yerself back yard hack like myself. Plus they weld out of position very well without all the bothersome technique you need with a stick welder... well most of it anyway... Find units all the time on C's list for reasonable prices.

The batteries are dying in mine. Annoying. Anyway what is going on in the first pic and whats with the copper? I taught myself to weld 10 years ago on a stick machine. Its still all i use and im pretty good at it, but that pretty much means i know very little about the rest.
Northman hit it dead on the head.
the copper acts as a heat sink, allowing you turn the amps up and get good penetration on relatively thin material, and keeps the puddle from dropping out the bottom. Though stick welding thin material is still going to be an ass ache. As i said before known about them for years even have some copper laying around just in case... never think about it until after I fill all the holes I just made.

If you have a few exter bucks consider getting a mig set up, probably around 600 for a mid grade homeowner model and a bottle, maybe a little more if you go all out and get upper end stuff. Not as powerful as a proper stick machine, but nice clean welds for the average do it yerself back yard hack like myself. Plus they weld out of position very well without all the bothersome technique you need with a stick welder... well most of it anyway... Find units all the time on C's list for reasonable prices.
I just picked up that tig 1675 with cart and argon bottle brand new, Lincoln just came out with a nice little inverter mig for 1200 out the door with no bottle or cart.

I've heard good things about the inverter machines, but mine are just fine for what I do so can't justify buying new machine only cause its neeto. Though I'm still looking at getting a scratch start TIG torch to run with the engine drive.
Like a 26 flex head torch then?

Yes!

Just haven't gotten around to it yet... welding shop closes before I can get to em, same with the saw shop lately too...
That's the great thing about online just make sure it has everything you need, valve, and the adapter to make it live.

I like supporting local business. and they can give me a heads up on the things I might be missing or suggest better versions etc.

Flea bay is all well and good when you know exactly what your looking for, but I'm no more a welder then I am a cook, i can do it and the results are satisfactory, but I don't always know how I got there...

Speaking of welding some time in the not to distant future I plan on fabbing up some bunks for the equipment trailer, nothing super fancy but removable and fairly short. Just have to get the steel and get at it... you know in between working 40-50 hrs cutting steel, 20-30 hours cutting timber and sleeping somewhere in between

Speaking of welding some time in the not to distant future I plan on fabbing up some bunks for the equipment trailer, nothing super fancy but removable and fairly short. Just have to get the steel and get at it... you know in between working 40-50 hrs cutting steel, 20-30 hours cutting timber and sleeping somewhere in between
Sounds like a good place for a good mig or something like a Miller Shop Master 300 multi process machine.

Got my lincoln 125 plus and thelincoln weldan 225, figured I'd use 7018 on it, maybe stick it together with the mig, Plan on using 3x2-1/2 tubing 3/16 wall or so, gusseted with 1/4 plate, got most all the plan in my head like most of my home projects.... can't seem to handle measuring things when I'm not getting paid to.

Latest posts

Back