Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
98c1f62cf89d9d4cf7a8d781d0addfb4.jpg
aba8b497726603677756ff9c250091b8.jpg

Well my 15 year old 385xp finally bit the dust crank bearings went out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

not too limby Lots of viney maple on this job, so finding the stumps can be tough. Mostly cotton wood so the evergreens got real tall and limbless, that and doug firs have a habit of delimbing when they hit the ground, same as cotton woods really.

The viney maple is a curse though, tough springy vines 20-30' long, and tangled they can hold an entire log off the ground or hang a skidder up if not careful, figuring the bind on one can be interesting, just cause its arched one way doesn't mean its loaded that way. Local guy few years back misjudged one, took out his lower intestines, the boys, and if memory serves broke his back too, he lived but only just. The scary thing is bucking with yer logs on top of em, its best to cut all the viney maple you can then buck, since if you forget or miss one it can launch you, the log, yer saw, and whatever else is in the way.

not too limby Lots of viney maple on this job, so finding the stumps can be tough. Mostly cotton wood so the evergreens got real tall and limbless, that and doug firs have a habit of delimbing when they hit the ground, same as cotton woods really.

The viney maple is a curse though, tough springy vines 20-30' long, and tangled they can hold an entire log off the ground or hang a skidder up if not careful, figuring the bind on one can be interesting, just cause its arched one way doesn't mean its loaded that way. Local guy few years back misjudged one, took out his lower intestines, the boys, and if memory serves broke his back too, he lived but only just. The scary thing is bucking with yer logs on top of em, its best to cut all the viney maple you can then buck, since if you forget or miss one it can launch you, the log, yer saw, and whatever else is in the way.
Fun. We don't have that here. Plenty of vines to cut on some jobs, but they only cause a problem if you miss one.

4ca997b73b99e145f2e5678965d64da0.jpg

Found this when I was helping my dad do some cleaning of him and his cutting partner in the 90's dropping a small old growth on our place.

Very cool photo of your ol man skeans, big ole sucker fish right here for that kinda stuff. Wish I had more pictures of my dad and family cutting, ain't nothin better than watching a good faller work his magic in my opinion. Can't explain it to the unknowing, but I'm sure the rest of you fallers can relate. When a faller finds his rhythm it's just magic, filthy black magic lol.

Very cool photo of your ol man skeans, big ole sucker fish right here for that kinda stuff. Wish I had more pictures of my dad and family cutting, ain't nothin better than watching a good faller work his magic in my opinion. Can't explain it to the unknowing, but I'm sure the rest of you fallers can relate. When a faller finds his rhythm it's just magic, filthy black magic lol.
I'd have to look around I think we still have some pictures of my grandpa and great grandfather in the woods together, and an old family friend that cut in the old logging camps.

I'd have to look around I think we still have some pictures of my grandpa and great grandfather in the woods together, and an old family friend that cut in the old logging camps.

That's super cool skeans!

06f96ef6f09472f948de8d4063496de8.jpg
e78591e65b53c83d61e7e77d7889d599.jpg

A few shots of my old man running his favorite saw the 562xpw with a 32" Sugihara light weight. On a side note woods logging in Longview is carrying the bars now and keeping them in stock for cheaper then anywhere else I have found.

Back