Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, I bought a clark skidder. I want a forwarder next though

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Glad to hear it! So I'm guessing yer at it full time then? It seemed to me you have a bunch of randoms in the pictures. Thats why I guessed forwarder. I could use a skidder as a second machine. Buckin in the woods and spending the afternoon picking wood up is a nice break on the body tho. Not climbing in and out of the machine i mean. So are you cutting for yerself? Subbing?

Yep working for my self as full time as I can be with all the rain were having. This is my first sale cutting and skidding for my self.

On the woods bucking I went back and forth between tree length and log length.

A combination of a long tight curvy skid road with nice leave trees perfectly placed on corners and a incredibly small landing that is on town land made me go for bucking in the woods. There are enough crooks and rot on these trees that there would be alot of chunks on the landing.

The mill wants 16s and 12 most if them are 16s with the occasional 12 top log I hitch up 7 logs on the skidder per turn, would do 8 if I had another choker. So that's about two trees, I figured the cons outweighed the benifits in this case.

It it sure is a lot of choker setting though!

Yep working for my self as full time as I can be with all the rain were having. This is my first sale cutting and skidding for my self.

On the woods bucking I went back and forth between tree length and log length.

A combination of a long tight curvy skid road with nice leave trees perfectly placed on corners and a incredibly small landing that is on town land made me go for bucking in the woods. There are enough crooks and rot on these trees that there would be alot of chunks on the landing.

The mill wants 16s and 12 most if them are 16s with the occasional 12 top log I hitch up 7 logs on the skidder per turn, would do 8 if I had another choker. So that's about two trees, I figured the cons outweighed the benifits in this case.

It it sure is a lot of choker setting though!

Good for you man! Keep at it! Weather will improve and then hammer down! Ask questions here if you need to even if they might seem dumb. Makin the most out of yer time is what its all about and asking from guys who know where the corners are helps.

Merry Christmas Y'all! Heres a holiday quiz. Hopefully Huskstihl gets the first shot. Whats happening in the first and second stumps here? The last one is pretty self explanatory. Just wanted to show that white oak can clean up. Its funny that it cracked on the Dutchman side. I've seen that before in high pressure situations.
whiteoak.jpg

Little leaning white oak.

smallwhite.jpg

Pullin a white oak around.

whiteoakpull2.jpg

Cleaned up

whiteoakpullclean2.jpg

ok, i'll take a stab. that bottom oak don't look like any white oak we have here......different sub species maybe. top one does......i'm not totally sure what you did but looks like ya kept nippin the off side?

ok, i'll take a stab. that bottom oak don't look like any white oak we have here......different sub species maybe. top one does......i'm not totally sure what you did but looks like ya kept nippin the off side?
The bottom tree (last two pics) is a burr oak. The 1st pic is white oak maybe 22 or so inches on the stump. The small stump i took a pic of because of a discussion on here and how to handle small timber(also white oak). The stump in the first pic had a heavy leaning crown. The stem lean itself wasn't much.

I need more in depth then that Mike!

Did you bore in on the left side leaving the right quarter for support, take the lean off with some wedges and finish the cut on the right? Leaning back heavier on the left so needed to keep boring to keep the saw from pinching? I don't see any wedge marks though...

I do that on smaller back leaning trees cut half a coos bay throw some wedges in and finish the cut and pound away till she tips.

Did you bore in on the left side leaving the right quarter for support, take the lean off with some wedges and finish the cut on the right? Leaning back heavier on the left so needed to keep boring to keep the saw from pinching? I don't see any wedge marks though...

I do that on smaller back leaning trees cut half a coos bay throw some wedges in and finish the cut and pound away till she tips.

The only boring i did was the heart from the face. No wedges were needed.

I do that sometimes in small dbh too. If i've miss judged the lean. Not the case here tho.

Oh man, I totally missed this! The second one looks "stump jumped".
The first you set up the face, maybe bored a tiny bit thru the face. It looks like you back barred the near side, setting up you pulling wood, then released from the far side.
If I didn't have a nearly Bitzerian number of children, along with a no-nonsense wife, I would buy some ear plugs (to protect my delicate inner child from Bitz' potty mouth) and a plane ticket to Butt****, Wisconsin and spend a few days getting a ******** timber education.

That is a huge chunk of holding/turning wood in the last one! It must have been wanting to really go the other way to have cracked the far side like that

Latest posts

Back