Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Run away! Don't stand around the stump gawking! Get the hell out of there especially with big dead stuff. Looks like you had plenty of time to retreat to a safe distance. Never plant your feet when timber cutting. The tree didn't even come off the stump. I've had em come back off the stump 30-40 feet. Thats scary.

Glad you weren't hurt. I'm no pro, but I have to ask why you stood so close once it was committed to falling. It squirted your wedges a considerable distance. I'm glad it wasn't your head.

Thanks for posting the video. Sometimes there seems to be too many sterile posts that tend to understate the danger.

Ron

There is always the urge to stop short and watch the fall, but it isn't worth it even in a clear spot like you had. Below is one of the above my pay grade trees I have cut (and the ugliest stump). Once it committed, I was out of there. Left the saw running at the stump. No close call. Though I have had plenty of close calls with nice straight healthy trees.
IMG_2749.JPG IMG_2750.JPG IMG_2752.JPG IMG_2754.JPG IMG_2755.JPG

Once again I am glad you didn't get hurt. Ron

There is always the urge to stop short and watch the fall, but it isn't worth it even in a clear spot like you had. Below is one of the above my pay grade trees I have cut (and the ugliest stump). Once it committed, I was out of there. Left the saw running at the stump. No close call. Though I have had plenty of close calls with nice straight healthy trees.
View attachment 519034 View attachment 519035 View attachment 519036 View attachment 519037 View attachment 519038

Looks good Ron but like stated if you're commercially cutting on high dollar sticks on steep ground there's no where to go, now another place I've seen guys killed getting out of the road of widow makers but still got hit by them in thinning doug fir.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Run away! Don't stand around the stump gawking! Get the hell out of there especially with big dead stuff. Looks like you had plenty of time to retreat to a safe distance. Never plant your feet when timber cutting. The tree didn't even come off the stump. I've had em come back off the stump 30-40 feet. Thats scary.
And still chase you matching zig for zag and ya think well this is it then just like that it's done, spend a half hour pickin up **** you yard saled on the retreat

View attachment 519034 View attachment 519035 View attachment 519036 View attachment 519037 View attachment 519038

Looks like that white oak had a lot going on Ron. I guess the danger is implied for those that are used to it. That doesn't mean awareness of the situation is lost. The more you do it, the sharper your awareness gets. Every day is a learning experience.

Looks good Ron but like stated if you're commercially cutting on high dollar sticks on steep ground there's no where to go, now another place I've seen guys killed getting out of the road of widow makers but still got hit by them in thinning doug fir.

Not much run room when you are standing on a stick or tied to the tree. I've done neither. However, I have been in places where for some reason or the other you don't have the room you would want - that is why I asked about his standing so close, there may be something we can't see.

Looks like that white oak had a lot going on Ron. I guess the danger is implied for those that are used to it. That doesn't mean awareness of the situation is lost. The more you do it, the sharper your awareness gets. Every day is a learning experience.

Don't cut for a living or for necessity, nor am I an adrenaline junky, but if there were no danger I would do little cutting. Maybe take up boar hunting.

Ron

Not much run room when you are standing on a stick or tied to the tree. I've done neither. However, I have been in places where for some reason or the other you don't have the room you would want - that is why I asked about his standing so close, there may be something we can't see.

Don't cut for a living or for necessity, nor am I an adrenaline junky, but if there were no danger I would do little cutting. Maybe take up boar hunting.

Ron
There's times and places, I don't climb much at all I may fall oversize with that you're talking high dollar logs you sit on the stump.

There's times and places, I don't climb much at all I may fall oversize with that you're talking high dollar logs you sit on the stump.

Yep sometimes you need to stick around to saw it up, but definitely not in that situation. Maybe there is something we can't see. Just doesnt look like it.

Understood. Typically, I'm not trying to save any wood.* Not sure whether or not our Aussie friend was. I also understand that it is easier for me to dump my saw and run since my livelihood doesn't depend upon the tree or the saw. Ron

* And as bitzer can attest, I have inadvertently made firewood of trees that could have been cut for logs.

Understood. Typically, I'm not trying to save any wood.* Not sure whether or not our Aussie friend was. I also understand that it is easier for me to dump my saw and run since my livelihood doesn't depending upon the tree or the saw. Ron

* And as bitzer can attest, I have inadvertently made firewood of trees that could have been cut for logs.
Trust me I've made lots of tp pulp out of saw logs learning sometimes everything is perfect but you just can't get avoid the invetable.

True and sad fact so it's a "like" for past and present timber cutters not a worker gettin smacked

Running wasn't really an option as I would most likely have tripped and fallen in the bracken, the ground was littered with holes also.
I don't like to turn my back on a tree, if I can't see it I don't know where to go.
When standing in the centre of that stump I couldn't touch the sides so was approximately 1.8m diameter inside the hollow

Running wasn't really an option as I would most likely have tripped and fallen in the bracken, the ground was littered with holes also.
I don't like to turn my back on a tree, if I can't see it I don't know where to go.
When standing in the centre of that stump I couldn't touch the sides so was approximately 1.8m diameter inside the hollow
Next time have an escape path or two cleared. Otherwise there may not be a next time. Timber fallers 101. Sometimes you need to run like hell and believe me you won't care if you have your back to the tree once you turn around and see the mess piled up right where you were standing. I'm being extra critical because guys get hurt or killed near the stump. I had a guy cutting for me who always stood and watched and I repeatedly told him not to. He got lucky and only had minor injuries to his leg. A few more inches his way and I'd hate to think how bad it could have been. Butt slipped off another tree, back over the stump and side swiped his leg. He was 8-9 ft from the stump. Another cutter I know got killed last summer by a branch tossed back at him. He was less than 10 ft from the stump. You need to know when it's safe to stand and watch the fun and know when to run. My guess is you thought it was safe to stand around until it wasn't and then you froze. It happens. I've seen it.

took a couple dead ones down yesterday bout 1/4mile down my property road, one of them poped sideways on me to the right was a 18-19" spruce that was in bad shape. started the fall nice, kerf opened up perect then she went over to yhe right. scared the bejesus out of me when it cracked 6" inches up from the back cut and dropped.

i had set it up to fall away from the road into the field, when it broke it dropped beside the road. it dont take much sometimes for things to go sideways on you. had the wind been blowing east ro west instead of nor to south id not be typing today. always set up 2 escape paths and watch the top as often as the kerf

these pics arnt of the tree that acted up but in the same state a littlw further up the road.

Attachments

• IMG_20160811_135951.jpg
    IMG_20160811_135951.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20160811_155343.jpg
    IMG_20160811_155343.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20160811_155347.jpg
    IMG_20160811_155347.jpg
    950.6 KB · Views: 28
Back