Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boy is that ever true !

Day I think I'm done learning is the day something I already "know" kills me.

Great pics ... You didn,t fall the 2nd largest tree in Ok. did u ...????? Your camera man did great also .. Are the stumps going to be pulled .??. It is generally best to get in the clear up and back .. but with nice open solid ground like that and you are young so you can zoom around you look like you were fine .. but , and this varies with tree size , and isn,t absolute . . The death zone is within 15 feet of the stump . . John Clark , a guy I busheled next to in Tolstoy Bay got killed within 15 feet on the stump .Cuttin in Wash. state .. Lots of other guys have also . My partner got his legs broke once and crushed the next time within 15ft. .. In big and tall timber the zone goes out to 25 feet ....... Just something to keep in mind .... Your stumps look very good ..

Great pics ... You didn,t fall the 2nd largest tree in Ok. did u ...????? Your camera man did great also .. Are the stumps going to be pulled .??. It is generally best to get in the clear up and back .. but with nice open solid ground like that and you are young so you can zoom around you look like you were fine .. but , and this varies with tree size , and isn,t absolute . . The death zone is within 15 feet of the stump . . John Clark , a guy I busheled next to in Tolstoy Bay got killed within 15 feet on the stump .Cuttin in Wash. state .. Lots of other guys have also . My partner got his legs broke once and crushed the next time within 15ft. .. In big and tall timber the zone goes out to 25 feet ....... Just something to keep in mind .... Your stumps look very good ..

Nope didn't cut it, just posed by it with my brother.

The stumps will be left. This is more of a cut and run deal.

A Nice Surprise!

I restarted cleaning out a road so the helicopter loggers will not scratch up their nice pickups.:):) Sneezing a bit too, because the alder is pollinating.

attachment.php

I found this. A nice little horn. I haven't found the other one. That's how it goes.
attachment.php

Great Pics Forestry!

Had a rough day at the office today. Snag baggin. Hung one up pretty bad this afternoon. I tried to get this one to walk with a stepping dutch, but the two extra kirf cuts below the gunning kirf weren't enough to keep it moving. That and maybe a little limb lock on the way around, stopped it dead. Maybe two more kirf cuts below that would have done it. I've swung them this bad before and I wish I would have started taking pics at the begining of my debacle, but about halfway through I figured already wasting time mght as well snap some pics.

attachment.php

You can just see the stump to the right. I kicked the first butt log down the hill.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Coming around the Corner.
attachment.php

I restarted cleaning out a road so the helicopter loggers will not scratch up their nice pickups.:):) Sneezing a bit too, because the alder is pollinating.

attachment.php

I found this. A nice little horn. I haven't found the other one. That's how it goes.
attachment.php

nice find, slowp

Heres the rest of them. This tree was a real dandy. About 30 ft up it split into five main beams and they hung and rolled around in the softwoods along that line. The damn thing would not lose its grip. Just had to go limb by limb pretty much and got showered with dead branches as each went until I cold push them by hand. Just kept stepping them down.

attachment.php

The mess I get to clean up later.
attachment.php

About an hour and two tanks later, a chain change and a few adrenaline rushes the top is pointing back at the stump. Not exactly an ideal way to end the day, but I'm still pumped full of piss and vinegar!
attachment.php

At least I saved out the softies! That was the goal anyway. They are no worse for the wear. My snag was nearly to the top of the tallest one and it was hung in all four of those plus a cedar off to the right out of the pic. And I was feeling like a hot shot today. Ha. ha.
attachment.php

Last edited:
Did a trail hazard today. 75ft tall and the trail was 60ft away and of course it leaned for the trail. The nastiest snag I've cut so far.

On the last picture you can just make out the trail if you follow the snag to the first break and then as it zig zags and straightens for the trail. It was all mush up there. I passed it up twice before and spent 30 min. studying it today. No wind and no hikers so I cut it.

I didn't even think twice about wedging it. At first I wanted to cripple it on the stump and let it go where it leaned, but that would have hung it up.

0420001704.jpg

0420001704a.jpg

0420001704b.jpg

Last edited:
Lindsey is in the hospital, have worked 9 weeks, been paid for 1.5, and my clutch just went out. My Dad is towing me to the shop where I am going to spend a few days putting a new one in, and rear main seal. Things have been kinda rough here the last month. Just checking in with ya, keeping the chin up. Be good! - Burv

Back