Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those are 24" bars I agree makes for more work but most of the timber is around 24". The biggest bar I own is 36" and wouldn't be worth putting on for the few biggens. Come on now! 16" were short barred over here but not that short, the 372 is at a angle facing away so the bar looks really short:laugh:

I was kinda joking about 16", but I would have never guessed it was a 24". The angle did make it look much shorter. I've used that line many times myself with the young ladies. But somewhat less convincingly:cry:

Its a butt grapple, I'll have to save some coin and get a bypass. Nothing like picking up a hand full of pulp sticks that don't pinch tight and tumble out and you have to play pickup sticks. Its reassuring to hear that it boosted production, so i'll put it on the "must have list". It was about 4 years ago that I got set up with Alhborn. I had a little chainsaw shop then, they didn't ask me for a tax ID number then. I wasn't aware that you had to be dealer. So I'll consider myself lucky. I would use the phase " I would like to set up a little chainsaw shop and try your product ..............lol see if that gets you a account. Im in central Michigan, the forwarder came out of the UP in Wakefield from Deliches. There was a nice looking 132 in lady smith I was temped to look at, but got them talked down enough on this one. My brother tipped the tree over with the wedges, I assume they were in the same spot. The double stack in the back looks a little to deep, so they may have been moved. He's a wedge pounding SOB! I like the notch and flop method.

I bought a Valby 55" bypass. It was $4000. They priced out a lot better than the sure grips. A new sure grip was like 6-8 grand. I think I saw an add for a bypass for sale in the Logger's Shopper for like $1500 bucks. If you don't get that monthly newspaper, PM me and I'll give you the phone number to subscribe. Its free and its distribution is all of WI and the U.P. I believe. Most of the major equipment dealers post listings on there as well as individual want adds. I saw your machine either in the shopper or on Delichs website.

Yeah there is nothing more frustrating than hand bunching all your pulp only to come back around to pick it up and it all drops out of the grapple. Then its pinch every little stick and try again. My guess is that grapple is a Prentice since it is red. Its also heavy as hell compared to my new one. A typical bunk full of pulp with the butt grapple was a 45-60 min skid. Sawlogs like 30 to 40 mins. All depending on skid distance and size of wood of course. With the bypass its like 30 min on the pulp and 15 to 20 min on sawlogs. I've got a single bunk roof mount 132 and I can get about 2.5 cords or 1300bf on er. My old butt grapple is cleaning up landings right now in northern Warshington. I hope its treatin its new owner well. I never hand bunch pulp anymore either. Screwed up my shoulder tryin to tip over and bunch red oak pulp. I could barely hold the saw for a week or too. Let the machine do the work.

Also that wedge near the hinge business just puts extra pressure on the hinge which can cause it to break. If you can't get it to tip with a double stack in the back something else is wrong. Either the tree is not cut up right, not cut up all the way, or you bit off more than you could chew (your bro in that circumstance). The nice thing about a forwarder is It doesn't really matter if you cross your lay as long as you don't bury a bunch of logs with tops. Its just as easy to pick up either way. Swing em into the holes and be done with them!

Last edited:
If you are going to be in the market for a bypass euro style bucket, take a good look at the cranab/valmet line. Considerably cheaper than hultdins and built just as good or better. Last one was a 1/4 cord and I think it was 3200 bucks. The 1/3 cord was 3800. I've never had the chance to see a val by like bitzer picked up. I'm sure they re decent too

Good enough on the bypass guys, I appreciate it. That and tire chains are on the list. Your correct it is a prentice grapple.. I agree bitz, hand bunching oak pulp sticks is a b####. If I can avoid it with a bypass it will be the best money I every spent. PM sent on the phone number.

Pretty awesome Handsome Mike. This makes me even sadder about your crap internet connection. I'd love to see a video of you turning that pine.:cheers:

If you own or get something that takes digital movies, pretty much all new phones for example, and make a video of you falling. I will drive to your house, show you how to upload them to youtube and put them on here

Latest posts

Back