Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what kind of market do you have for basswood bitz. we ship some sawlogs for door cores or some such. pulp mills dont like it due to the bark
All the sawlogs go to the mill. I'm really not sure what they do with em. I know their trucker peels em with the log truck's grapple rather than runnin em through the de-barker. The pulp stays in the woods. My pulp mill won't take it and trying to sell it for firewood its just not worth the effort. I've heard that some guys sell it to make mulch. I can't imagine there is a lot of money in it. I know it will go for pallet wood. Also great for carving- like duck decoys I've heard.

OK, guyses, I took Bitzer's lecture in the firewood section to heart. I started my thinning project today, after spending time cleaning up brush in the area. I call this the micro-crummy. I can take it over the drainfield to the work area.
Alder Falling Cleanup0001.JPG

Here is today's area of stand improvement. It was afternoon so I didn't intend on getting much done.
Alder Falling Cleanup0001_1.JPG
First job, KILL THE VINE MAPLE. I have a question for you guys. When an vine maple is leaning, are we prone to make a slopping back cut? I am ashamed to admit that I made one on the vine maple. I am too ashamed to post the picture. The maple was bucked up and the alder was next.
Alder Falling Cleanup0001_2.JPG

I concentrated and got it cut without a slopping back cut.
Alder Falling Cleanup0001_3.JPG
Here's the butt log.
Alder Falling Cleanup0001_4.JPG
The lay.
Alder Falling Cleanup0001_5.JPG

And the damage to the residual stand.
Alder Falling Cleanup0001_6.JPG

I stood it back up. Anyway, that's it for today. Most of the afternoon was spent burning brush. I also had to cut my way out. The micro crummy was blocked in!

OK, guyses, I took Bitzer's lecture in the firewood section to heart. I started my thinning project today, after spending time cleaning up brush in the area. I call this the micro-crummy. I can take it over the drainfield to the work area.
View attachment 334683

I like that sticker on your hard hat.

foggy morning.JPG
beautiful foggy morning on the north face timber, last summer
hard maple.JPG
hard maple
hickory butt.JPG
I would bet this was hard as rock and baout 250 years old. hickory
hickory pull.JPG
bored and pulled witht his uphill flare release cut from the under side
hickory savior.JPG
big old cull with higher vale standing, probably 50" at the stump and 140' tall as is. probably a bear, a raccoon, and a possum family all vying for habitation right now
red oak bored offf side.JPG
nice red oak bored through the face to get the far side cut

cross stream uphill.JPG
hickory is a pain for something like this, you need it off the stump when it hits the ground but you need an open face to protect the butt log
fellow topping.JPG
heres a fellow doing a good days work
shadow.JPG
shadow pic
trap.JPG
a "mole trap" I made with the boys for fun, with help from a familiar supplier
widowmaker.JPG
I had a little job dumping about 2 acres of dead hemolock with these hangers all over the place

View attachment 334683

Here is today's area of stand improvement. It was afternoon so I didn't intend on getting much done.
View attachment 334684
First job, KILL THE VINE MAPLE. I have a question for you guys. When an vine maple is leaning, are we prone to make a slopping back cut? I am ashamed to admit that I made one on the vine maple. I am too ashamed to post the picture. The maple was bucked up and the alder was next.
View attachment 334685

I concentrated and got it cut without a slopping back cut.
View attachment 334686
Here's the butt log.
View attachment 334687
The lay.
View attachment 334688

And the damage to the residual stand.
View attachment 334689

I stood it back up. Anyway, that's it for today. Most of the afternoon was spent burning brush. I also had to cut my way out. The micro crummy was blocked in!

Don't forget to park where the fallers park.

Don't forget to park where the fallers park.

That doesn't work. They make you move so more fallers:bowdown: can park there. Then the fallers for one outfit would plug up the road on their way out, which made the rigging crew a bit angry, because they tried to get the yarder walked in and set up while the shovel was on a setting a mile away. Unoriginal language was used. That is a falling faux pas, but that's not what the rigging crew said.

Beautiful pictures Joe! Really great stuff. Makes me want to move south. Man that pine looks like fun! I wish I had some mixed stands around here. Its all plantation. Nothing that tall around here either. Those hangers will keep you on yer toes huh? So you catch the mole?

Latest posts

Back