Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah you're right Bob, I am pretty loveable. I hate the label arborist. I consider myself a tree worker. I take em down, any way I can. Arborists are more the nip plucking crab apple and magnolia types. BTW, my hand has swollen even more, looks like a ****ing catchers mitt.
Yeah I don't think of you as an arborist Brett, your way too humble and down to earth for that. Damn good work yesterday by the way! I still feel ****** about letting that limb yank so hard. It did pull me off the ground a few feet! Maybe some Jack Daniels will calm that swelling?

yep ol Clintons back home in arkysaw falling like a mad man lol. that dude has crazy energy.......wish i had half as much.
he seemed like he really enjoyed his trip west.........i hope that he did.

The wood is always harder and gnarlier low too.

Hence why I don't mind cut'n a long butt of a tree. Better scale fir the log at the mill, & butts make the worlds best firewood! It's always denser and more figured in the butt, best damn burn'n wood you'll find!

Not to mention, at this point in my area, firewood pays better than some logs or pulp.

That load of fir I helped cut off my buddies, the mill took $375 in deductions. . . We have yet to be told why. That's ridiculous.

He'll have $400 in his pocket for all that hard work. When he can get $1,100 a load, all day long for firewood, and walk away with $800 in his pocket. Hell, he'd be doubling his money.

Everything was exactly to their log sheet specs, & the majority bucked at preferred length. They're not monster fir, but there were some good'ns buried in there.

He's supposed to find out why the ridonkulous deductions soon.

00eada5280f087d423cfabcddf39524d.jpg

Best price around here I'm hearin' is red cedar. It's up over a $1000 per thousand, they were supposed to give my buddy 80 bucks a ton for this fir.

Douglas fir does have a red hue, so sometimes it's called "red fir", especially in Idaho. They also call ponderosa pine "bull pine" in Idaho. It's a real pretty wood with a red hue and kind of a white sapwood.

Our Montana fir grows a lot slower and is a lot more dense than coastal Douglas fir. It's been used for flooring here for years.

Hence why I don't mind cut'n a long butt of a tree. Better scale fir the log at the mill, & butts make the worlds best firewood! It's always denser and more figured in the butt, best damn burn'n wood you'll find!

Not to mention, at this point in my area, firewood pays better than some logs or pulp.

That load of fir I helped cut off my buddies, the mill took $375 in deductions. . . We have yet to be told why. That's ridiculous.

He'll have $400 in his pocket for all that hard work. When he can get $1,100 a load, all day long for firewood, and walk away with $800 in his pocket. Hell, he'd be doubling his money.

I'm a think'n yer buddy just got ripped off, only reason I can think of is not leaving enough trim wood, but they don't deduct as defect that way usually just scale at the next lower length.

Doug and hemlock are going for 550-700 per 1k (the weird thing is they are priced about even?), and ceder is around 1200. Prices have been floating a bit but they are still better than they have been in the last 5 years.

so i tried to take a vid of me falling a belly leaning, limb heavy, doug fir today... camera only had 9 minutes of film... took an hour to get it on the ground, jacking wedging, jacking wedging some more, stacking wedges... bending jack handle doing chin ups on it... probably should of had both jacks, but noooo I didn't think I needed it so I left it at home...

any way only fell two trees in 4 hours, but its better then half a load... isn't it a holiday or something?

I'm a think'n yer buddy just got ripped off, only reason I can think of is not leaving enough trim wood, but they don't deduct as defect that way usually just scale at the next lower length.

Doug and hemlock are going for 550-700 per 1k (the weird thing is they are priced about even?), and ceder is around 1200. Prices have been floating a bit but they are still better than they have been in the last 5 years.
Wow 550-700 is great. Hemlock here is going around 250. It about pays the same as log length firewood here but takes three times the work to limb

Western Hemlock is very different then eastern hemlock, much harder and more tensile strength, its also very heavy...
I didn't know that. Stuff must be some strong and heavy cause the stuff we got here weighs more than a lot of the hardwoods and is pretty stringy tough stuff. I learn something new every day :)

Yeah I don't think of you as an arborist Brett, your way too humble and down to earth for that. Damn good work yesterday by the way! I still feel ****** about letting that limb yank so hard. It did pull me off the ground a few feet! Maybe some Jack Daniels will calm that swelling?
It's all good, I didn't exactly explain anything in roping to you, just told ya to grab it, i'm ready! It went pretty good though, cept for the ceramic rabbit that I decapitated!

a few recent pictures to share....
morning numbers, the time to add up.
a fellow on a nice poplar
stemming a road full. logger gravy
view from the face, hazy August day, nice view though.

Need some help out this way.....

Oh, and the anchovies were and experiment. Which will NOT be repeated. I'm not that tough!

Attachments

• IMG_0452.JPG
    IMG_0452.JPG
    103.5 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_0644.JPG
    IMG_0644.JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_0646.JPG
    IMG_0646.JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_0650.JPG
    IMG_0650.JPG