Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A couple of pics from the current job. I started a clear cut on Monday. Cutting is pretty fun. Its a hell of lot safer than a selective cut. You really have to watch top placement though cuz it can be a real ***** digging pulp sticks out of the slash.

Heres a HARD forward leaning head leaner that had to be swung from the boundary back into the opening. I only had to bring it around 45 degrees or so, but it was leaning so far ahead I wasn't sure if the wood would hold to the stump. It did. Usually I dutch from the face first until I can't anymore and then start on my Dutchman side in the back and ream and ream and ream to the pull side. It will sit down tighter than **** if you're not carful and mindful of your face. If you **** it up and don't cut all the wood through to the face it will chair like lightning. Also the little red circle is the only plug I lost out of that butt. It measured about 4" x 4" x 4". I made a 10' 6" out of that first log so they should still be able to make some 10 foot boards there. I did not bust the **** out of the butt on the pull side of the stump either. It all sawed off clean except for that little plug. I'm sure some of you guys look at these hard pulled trees and you figure I chewed the **** out of the butt, and yeah it does happen, but more often not. Its all about that face and timing. Sorry for the weird color, it was full sun and the camera is a cheapo.

Hard head lean swing.jpg

These guys had a week to get their stands out. This was the second one. The first one stayed tight on the tree. This one got thumped a little harder and bounced. Both were fine though. I wasn't going to leave two damn trees to come back for. That and they were both in the lead.

Whiteoakdeerstand.jpg

I'm getting a new phone tomorrow. My old one totally craped out so I should be snappin more pics in the near future. The timber on this job is about average. Mostly red and white oak. Some cherry. Not real tall. Decent production wood though. 18-30 inches on the stump kind of stuff.

yep, i see what you did there..........and your right, some may think its a mistake. truth is oak reacts different than other woods so ya got to do it different some times. nice turn. and i get ya on tearing out the stump, but that is acceptible to me although white oak will normally screw itself before that happens, red will do it.

Some whites will hang on cleanly and some will bust all to hell. The biggest thing aside from the cuts is proximity to a root. Thats what I used here to pull. It pulled the root out of the ground instead of damaging the butt log. If there is no root you can use chances are the butt will be affected. I know you've got this Mike just spelling it out for others. I've been playing with swing cuts for 7 or 8 years now in different species. Sometimes they still surprise me. I've figured out what I can get away with. Well most of the time.

Nice pics bitz. I have had mixed results with swinging red oak. Most will go nicely but I will rip into the log on some. I chaired one over the winter, my bar tip got to far into the Dutchman side and pinched up. It let out a pop after a few seconds and chaired about 30ft up. The saw survived so I was happy about that. Ash is one of my favorites to swing. Seems it always pulls from the stump. The pics are from a few that were leaning over fences. I have been cutting mainly aspen for the last couple months. Some stands with 50+ cord per acre. Can't beat it for production wood. The mill I was cutting for over the fall and winter wanted me to drive farther and farther to jobs sites. Back to buying my own timber and working close to home.

Attachments

• ash1.jpg
    ash1.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 44
  • ash2.jpg
    ash2.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 41
It's fun to listen to you guys talk'n about cut'n hardwood (and seeing pics and vids).

Even if I never get to cut very much, I'll have some base knowledge to work with.

Most of ours have the big heart like that, but we do get into some with small hearts.. It is prone to chairing here also. Its not a stringing wood so I think that helps it split down into the stump when swinging them. Most of our ash is eab killed or being killed now so the tops are brittle, really gotta watch wedging on them.

Latest posts

Back