famous stihl saw above 70cc

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodcutter69

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
i feel my cad flaring up again and would like to know the world famous stihl saw that everyone talks. the one saw that stihl did right on. Is there such a beast out there.

I would think that it would be the 10 cube 090. The 044/440 is one of their best saws.

2101xp

:jawdrop:

Just kidding, 056 MAG if vintage, 066/660 if new.

Anytime anyone has something 90cc to talk about, they almost always compare it to how an 066 runs.

The 07/07S is the coolest of all times.

270595583_4243u-M-1.jpg

270595639_aCSpa-M-1.jpg

270595686_xQk58-M-1.jpg

270999612_jYd99-M-1.jpg

270999743_5t2z4-M-1.jpg

Last edited:
i feel my cad flaring up again and would like to know the world famous stihl saw that everyone talks. the one saw that stihl did right on. Is there such a beast out there.

the saw you seek is the 1106 series. 106cc and 137cc.

first sold in 1959 and called the lightning-contra 070-090

sold in the us market till around 1985.

After 85 it was still sold in other countrys
and is now being cloned in china

rs.jpg

74stihl.jpg

1980stihlman.jpg

chicks dig the 1106 series too. :D

twin090girlz.jpg

the saw you seek is the 1106 series. 106cc and 137cc.

first sold in 1959 and called the lightning-contra 070-090

sold in the us market till around 1985.

After 85 it was still sold in other countrys
and is now being cloned in china

rs.jpg

74stihl.jpg

1980stihlman.jpg

chicks dig the 1106 series too. :D

twin090girlz.jpg

ohhhhhhh....ahhhhhhh.....saw#### !!! mmmmmmm

090 Too heavy. Points. Poor anti-vibe. Crappy air filter. Governor kicks in to soon. Poor setup for the fuel line. Clutch shoes prone to falling off. Decomp leaks almost from new (not much but it leaks). The starter is weak and needs attention all the time. Hard to change rim
084/088 Heavy but better. Weak ignitions. Run hot on hot days and long pulls. Muffler restriction on 088. Poor gas mileage. Starter and top handle marginal. Leaks oil after every use.
045/056 Real weak ignition. Handlebar not the best. Oil pump drive on 045 two little pins, 056 not much better with plastic parts. Tiny E clips on throttle and choke linkage east to lose. Long plastic in back handle/top cover prone to break. Oil pump area behind clutch fills with junk and wrecks pump drive. Tin muffler cracks like crazy.
046/044 weak in the rod big end bearing. Rev high but set lean from factory and will smoke piston if not corrected by limiter cap removal. Wire drive for oil pump is weak and failure prone at the worst time. chain brake handle prone to crack/break. Top inside dawg breaks out case right where the serial number is located. Bottom muffler bolts strip on early models in the case. Head bolts loosen on early models.
064/066 The one by which all others are compared. The others come up short.
Early cylinder base not thick enough. To many different ignitions. Wire drive on oil pump but seems to outlast the 044/046 series. The darn saws cut all day every day and don't quit until you do. Easy to get parts around logging towns.

Probably not going to find a perfect saw. There are compromises on all of them. Earlier designs had flaws because of the technology at the time. Later saws have flaws because of the environmental laws today.

It really depends on what you want. Big saw - lots of grunt; try a 090G with a 137cc piston and cylinder ( no the 090G is not native as a 137cc saw). The 880 that Bard Snelling built for me is a blend of the old and the new - might be what you are looking for. The 075 or 076 could be the one you are looking for.

The ultimate for many is the HOLY GRAIL of saws - the 10 Cubic Inch 090. There are only a few out there. There is a thread on here about it. One or two of our members have one. Masdens in Washington has one. Very hard to get.

Have fun looking. Go to some Get Together gatherings and try out some of the saws there. You might find the one that flips your switch.

Hal

great info sawbones

Thanks Sawbones....I love the advertisement for the old Stihls. I just picked up a BLK58 and did not know it had a 2:1 gear reduction. I plan on restoring it so if you have any info on it. ie. paint color (red), CC's, parts availability etc. would be great. Or even a manual. It's complete but have not even tried to turn it over. Thanks

Back