Farmyard cleanup/a little cutting (pics)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve NW WI

Unwanted Riff Raff.
Reaction score
Little bro and a couple of his friends want to raise some pigs this summer. It's been about 5 years since we had any, so there's a bunch of cleanup and fencing to do in the old pig lot. They got started yesterday fixing up the fence and clearing out some junk wood and stuff that's laying around there. There's still lots to do, but it's starting to look like something again.

attachment.php

There was some box elder laying in there that was still good enough for bonfire wood, so I blocked it up and hauled it out, next time the splitter's hooked up, it'll go on the fire pit stack:

attachment.php

One of the big box elders in there had some big limbs hanging over the fence, so I got up in the loader and took them down, also blocked the bigger stuff for warm season firewood or future use in the pit, but didn't get a pic of that:

attachment.php

Got a lot of chips in the bucket, it made a nice "bed" for the 5100 to rest in.

attachment.php

As long as I was playing in the bucket, I got an aerial view of my '10-'11 season wood stacks. That birch on the right looks awful lonely, think I'll get some more next week after work. Currently about 7+ full cords stacked there, from L-R, Elm, Oak, Ironwood, Maple, and Birch:

attachment.php

I'll get some more pics as the cleanup and fencing project continues.

Last edited:
I got about half of what you got there Steve but with these temps I'm definately heading up to G-Burg next weekend to do something about that!!

Do you ever raise chickens? I think they are easier than pigs and take 8 weeks and they are done. I think pigs are going so cheap it doesn't pay, does it?

Do you ever raise chickens? I think they are easier than pigs and take 8 weeks and they are done. I think pigs are going so cheap it doesn't pay, does it?

Nothing I hate more than chickens.

Fresh farm raised and running around out in an open lot pork tastes better than the crap coming out of confinement barns, and I have plenty of neighbors and friends that will pay a premium for it.

Besides, the dang things almost get to be like pets after a while. Another side benefit is that they'll root up all the box elder shoots out in that yard, and that's probably worth more to me than the bug control that the feathered buzzards offer.

Nice Steve! I wuz up purty close to yore neck of woods a couple weeks ago. Went to my wife's nephew's wedding in Milwaukee and then went up to see a guy's ginseng farm near Marathon. Turned his old dairy farm into an artificial-shade grown ginseng operation. That shore is some nice farming country you're in there!

Nice Steve! I wuz up purty close to yore neck of woods a couple weeks ago. Went to my wife's nephew's wedding in Milwaukee and then went up to see a guy's ginseng farm near Marathon. Turned his old dairy farm into an artificial-shade grown ginseng operation. That shore is some nice farming country you're in there!

You were still +-150 miles east of me in Marathon. It's still nice country, just a few thousand more neighbors - I'm 45 minutes from downtown Minneapolis. There's a ginseng operation on Hwy 8 about a 1/2 hour east of me, but I don't know a lot about it.

wat, it's a 180. It was bought new by my Dad in 1973, and I learned to drive on it, so it's as much sentimental as it is useful.

Beefie, I've got a ways to go to make it A-1, but it's back up and running anyhow. I'm doing a complete rewiring on the M today, tired of chasing down bare wires, bad grounds, and such. Tractors will keep your wrenches from rusting, that's for sure.

Steve, my wife and kids love those cute little things. The first week anyhow. They make perfect pets. Cute the first 2 weeks and 6 weeks after their done being cute their food! I understand your pigs tasting better. We won't eat store bought chickens.

Latest posts

Back