Fastest cutting STIHL chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WESCOMAN

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
What is the fastest cutting STIHL 3/8 x 72 (20" bar) saw chain? If you could I would like non kick back and kick back. Thanks for any help.

Try the newer types of RS, specifically, RSC for the "kick back", and RSC3 for the "non" kick back... Both of these are pro chains though. If you want a "real non-kick" (no such thing in reality) get an RM...

For a 20 inch bar, depending on the saw you are running (say less then 066), you might want the skip version. All skip versions are more likey to kick back and will give a rougher ride.

For a 20 inch bar, depending on the saw you are running (say less then 066), you might want the skip version. All skip versions are more likey to kick back and will give a rougher ride.
i use RS on my MS440 w/20" bar...no probs, really fast...i really don't see the need for skip chain on a 20 incher that is less than an 066.....unless u are talking waaaaaay less than an 066.

J_Ashley said:
You'd really suggest Skip on a 20" bar?

Justin
\

Yes, if you have a mid hp saw. Most of the 036/361 pro users out here run full skip on 20 inch - lets the chain run fast in deep wood. Depends on the wood you're cutting and the saw you run. In bigger doug fir with a 20 bar it's great.

I run semi-skip and full skip on a 16" - some think I'm mad but it sure is nice to cut unimpeded at 9.5-10k rpm in 8-12 inch wood - you cant believe how many rounds I can cut in a few minutes with the log at waist height (held with trackhoe). Makes firewood cutting a joy.

Here locally, everything, and I mean EVERYTHING is full comp. It's heart breaking to see an 088 leave with a 47" bar and full comp chian.

I agree that anything over 20" should be at least half-skip. I guess I'd consider 20" to be the thresh-hold.

Justin

vince said:
i like the RSK i just bought one and it is unbelievable awsome chains
What makes you think the RSK will be faster than the RS or RSC? :confused:

I would think square ground (ordinary) RS/RSC is fastest as long as ship transport isn't an issue, but have no experience to prove it.
I don't really care either, as RSC is fast enough for me and I don't want to get into square filing.

Latest posts

Back