Favorite Chainsaws for Firewood Cutting and What is Your Woods Like?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use an old 039 I acquired a few years ago, along with my splitter and some tools. It does the job but I would like to get a new saw and keep it for backup while it still runs good. Probably will be a 361. My woods are typical for NNY, lots of soft maple, oak, some cherry, pine and hemlock. Stands of spruce which were planted by the state 50 years or so ago and are mostly junk. They were planted close to be used for Xmas trees, but I guess my grandma couldn't deal with 40,000 Xmas trees all at once. Mostly either dead or deformed or sick with fungus. I also have this stand of trees which I believe to be big tooth aspen. I also believe they are not good for much. Can anyone confirm for me? Thanks.
attachment.php

attachment.php

CbaileyBG said:
I personally dont cut firewood for myself but I do for some elderly folks (Free of Charge). But its not habit forming so dont anyone get any ideas..lol. But my preference of saws are the 029 Farm Boss for downing the tree and the 026 for cutting the blocks.

Curt

I love this. You read my mind. If a tree falls on your saw I would also prefer to lose the 029 to the 026.

026 is a good small saw.

Fred

I use an 044 for firewood.

I have an old Stihl 030 which I use once in awhile and a Husky 353 with an 18
bar. I cut a good bit of firewood each year and I love the 353. I just hope it holds up half as well as the 30 some year old Stihl.

My firewood is the tops of logs we cut. I use a 385XP Husky to fall, a Stihl MS 250 to block and , here we go, a couple of little Poulans to limb. The Poulans are good running and cheap. Our limbers are good workers, but not necessarily kind to equipment so the chain store saws work well.
We cut oak, hickory, cottonwood, red cedar, maple, black walnut, elm, and lynn (basswood). The not so good firewood is chipped and cured. I let local firewooders pick through the slab wood at the mill and cut their firewood. That is where the most fun begins, watching the week end professionals demostrate their sawing abilities. I guess I've got a weird sense of humor.:laugh: :dizzy:

dingo said:
My firewood is the tops of logs we cut. I use a 385XP Husky to fall, a Stihl MS 250 to block and , here we go, a couple of little Poulans to limb. The Poulans are good running and cheap. Our limbers are good workers, but not necessarily kind to equipment so the chain store saws work well.
We cut oak, hickory, cottonwood, red cedar, maple, black walnut, elm, and lynn (basswood). The not so good firewood is chipped and cured. I let local firewooders pick through the slab wood at the mill and cut their firewood. That is where the most fun begins, watching the week end professionals demostrate their sawing abilities. I guess I've got a weird sense of humor.:laugh: :dizzy:
I only cut firewood and I am not a logger, but I am sure that it entertaining to watch. ;)

hydro2 said:
I only cut firewood and I am not a logger, but I am sure that it entertaining to watch. ;)
These guys are lawyers and city boys that want a little fire place wood and no pun intended to firewooders but some of the stunts they pull are hillarious, hey a 60,000 dollar Mercedes Benz isn't the best wood hauling vehichle, but it has got to be the classiest.:laugh: :laugh:

Got this new digital camera and am really enjoying it. Here's a shot of one of my red pine stands looking downhill towards the creek and river valley.

Here is my woods..

I started clearing with a Poulan 2150 but after researching here got the MS260 which has been a joy to clear with.

The lot is 5.3 acres and mostly balsam, spruce and birch. The problem is most of the cutting wood is up the hill and it is a lot of work to bring it down.

attachment.php

Started off with lots of wild roses and you could not hardly walk through it without the thorns tearing you apart.

attachment.php

Of the woods are nice as they across from ocean, beside a pond and have a nice little creek running through them.

attachment.php

favorite saw & wood

i have ms280 which is a nice saw but my favorite is 046bb this saw is a'ripper' favorite wood to cut red oak, white oak and cherry

Back