Favorite Firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like to burn Hickory.
But Oak is much better for hand splitting.

So my stacks are about 75% Oak (all kinds) and 25% Hickory.

David

As has been said, if I had to choose based on ease of forest to stove it would be white ash. It's the only wood I hand split exclusively. Very little to no(in a pinch) css time, and very respectable heat, coaling, ease of burning. Red oak is close behind but the css time drops it from the top. Next year and beyond I'll be burning a good mess of shag and shellbark hickory. Toughest wood I've handled on chains and hydraulics and the bugs do seem to like it. I've already chunked some and smoked some butts, ribs, and whole chickens with some shagbark. Fantastic smoking wood. It may have replaced apple as my favorite.

I have red oak, paper birch, shag hickory, elm,locust, with my favorite being DRY firewood, whatever that me be.

If i put 6 logs in the stove perfect would be 1 red oak for coals 1 ash 2 white oak 2 hedge

well last winter was my first year using the stove only to heat the house. Learned a lot that is forsure but it hasnt givin me a lot of time to try different wood as we mainly burned white pine. This year is going to be completly different as i have a lot more hardwood stacked since last fall and its paying off big time.

wood types
Ironwood, White oak, Red oak, Yellow / White birch, Sugar / Red maple, Beech, White/ Green Ash, Basswood, White Pine, some spruce,cedar

1.yellow birch - lots of it around and long burn times.
2.red maple - most common forest tree around and makes great coals
3. Basswood / White Pine - great for getting a fire back to temp in the morning.
4.Ironwood - throws really good heat and lasts but isnt overy common
5.Red oak- i bet will move up the list this year but only burned a little last year and it wasnt dry enough.

cheers.

1) Elm is my all around favorite. The splitting sucks though.

2) Locust honey or black doesn't matter. Black locust back has a nasty smell.

3) Hickory

4) Oak of any type.

5) Sugar maple with Norway maple not too far behind.

With that said I'm cutting a lot of dead ash lately and there is always lots of cherry around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oak and ash is my favorite dont get much ash though plenty of red oak and a few whites my main scores too!

Next teir would be maulberry and suger maple good all around wood

Hickory is good but the shagbark is a real pain to split and the butternut is great heat too but just doesnt last like the oak heats well!!!

Worst has gotta be the dang box eider i took down for a buddy after that is any "yard tree" all the knots and branches just make a mess of things stick to the woods!! I really really hate silver maple ton of ash and cherry leaves a good bit ash as well!

I dont mind the poplar and pine splits ans cuts good and splits dries great!

Great replies. Here in Nevada not many trees availe. Just lots of pine and mesquite, mulberry.
The Oak ect comes from calif. heres were I buy mine allied.JPG

Any thing I can get into the stove. I let the outside weather conditions determine what species to burn. Red Oak, Locust, Cherry, Ash for cold weather. Maple, Popular, Pine for the shoulder seasons.

Latest posts

Back