Favorite Firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i split with a maul, and hackberry is hands down the worst splitting timber i've come across....wouldn't take a truckload of bucked up rounds if you gave it to me...lol
Rock Elm is much worse than Hackberry IMHO, I really don't care for either myself. They both do burn clean. Burn what you git I say, right now it's Ash, Ash and more Ash.[emoji6]

I recently was given some split dry wood, but half of it was cedar. The worst junk in the world. I have a hard time giving it away. I could sell it as pine, but that would be just plain dishonest and whoever I sold it to would be very disappointed with me to say the least. It is OK for my wood stove, but a very short term heat producer. So probably will stack it behind my house for fire starting material. Thanks

i split with a maul, and hackberry is hands down the worst splitting timber i've come across....wouldn't take a truckload of bucked up rounds if you gave it to me...lol

Maybe different variety of hack?? The 4 or 5 I've css here have been pretty easy splitters . All I have is a maul too. It's dries out really quickly and burns decent. Not near post oak (my favorite stove wood), but decent enough.

Maybe different variety of hack?? The 4 or 5 I've css here have been pretty easy splitters . All I have is a maul too. It's dries out really quickly and burns decent. Not near post oak (my favorite stove wood), but decent enough.
I burn quite a bit of hackberry. Never had huge issues splitting it but some is fairly stringy. I think it's about the softest hardwood. It does ok by me and not many people around here want it so it's usually mine for the taking

Rock Elm is much worse than Hackberry IMHO, I really don't care for either myself. They both do burn clean. Burn what you git I say, right now it's Ash, Ash and more Ash.[emoji6]
no rock elm around here that i know of but the hackberry i came across were city trees growing between the sidewalk and the street...growing all twisted...maybe trees growing out in the country have a straighter grain or something...but you're right about the ash,ash, and more ash...

have hydraulics.. but,,after splitting and burning a biiiiig hackberry,,no mo..aint much better than cottonwood around here.....loves me locust. thorn or non thorn. me no care...

My fav hasn't changed, it's always hard Sugar Maple which we have lots of in Ontario. Red and White Oak is next and we do have a good amount of Ash, Elm and Ironwood here too.
The Poplar and Aspen is plentiful as well as White Pine, Spruce and Cedar for kindling.
I regularly cut and bag aspen and pine to sell as campfire wood. Its sells out quick.

I have only burned one season, but so far my preferred list is as follows:

Sugar Maple
Red Oak
Ash

I burned some eastern red cedar too, but it is a lackluster firewood. For how pretty it is, and how little I have, I will send those trees to a woodworker in the future, or hatchet them small as starter wood.

My stacks have been growing and include the following in addition to the ones above

American Beech: Pain to split by hand, but supposedly going to be a good heater
Shagbark hickory: tough on the saw, split ok, probably going to give it one more year to dry
Basswood: such a silly tree. Only have a little and it will go up like paper im sure

Out of all of it, my dead fallen Red oaks, and dead ash are the best processing woods out there. I can plow through a stack of rounds in no time with the fiskars and not be tired.

Cedar makes great kindling or campfire wood. And wood carvers love basswood because it's so soft. There is a use for every wood!

Yea, the basswood was a broken and dead tree. by the time I figured out what it was, I had cut it to length. stuff would be super easy to work though, for sure.

Very true. I've only ever found it at a dump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There was a nice cedar swamp near my cabin that was on paper co land but they sold it to a logger through an under the table deal. It's still there but no scrounging dead and downed any more.

Back