Favorite Skidder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whats your favorite skidder to use and what model

• Cat cable/grapple

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Timberjack cable/grapple

Votes: 12 33.3%
  • John Deere cable/grapple

Votes: 14 38.9%
  • Tigercat cable/grapple

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Clark cable

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Franklin/Treefarmer cable/grapple

Votes: 2 5.6%

• Total voters
I have run a 640JD Cable quite a bit, guy i work for has 2 of em.
No problems other than tires..

I got a TJ 205 i think, cable. Its in the back of the barn in pieces

Anyone know where i can get info on the older TJ's? Prior to JD buying them.

JimL,

I'll get back to you on the TJ info I might know where I can get some for ya..

Ryan,

NO Bobcats allowed I should have said REAL skidders

Later Rob...

Re: JD 1758

Originally posted by bwalker
Its not a skidder, but I would love to own one.

Ya know i just cant see having one of them around here. Time we get a yard setup and get a road back, we just have the truck drivers pull back in the woods. Sometimes it might be a road miles back along the top of a ridge or just a few hundred yards...

Drag the logs to the landing/yard, cut to length or what ever needs to be done, load them and off they go.

In my area the guys who still use saws are are going to forwarders. Most of the logging activity is pulp logging and veneer. In many of the areas the terain is so nasty road building is anightmare. Add to that the fact that the winters in the UP can dump 300"+ of snow a year makeing road maintenance a nightmare and its easy to see why they are using forwarders. All of the easy terrain gets picked off by the harvester guys.

I used to have a Timberjack forwarder but I found myself skidding more than using it so I ended up selling it last year to buy my 748G.There are'nt very many loggers at least around where I work that have forwarders but there are a few,if I need one I will usually borrow one from a friend if it's not in use on a job..

Later Rob..

Ya forwarders are popular here in 2nd thinning plantations, the 548johndeere is pretty popular here, lots of dealers too.

Around here in NH it's mostly JD 648's or 748's I have'nt seen to many 548's and if it's not a Deere it's a 525 Cat grapple you don't really see all that many cable skidders at least not in southern NH.

Later Rob...

Originally posted by bwalker
What do you goes know about Valmet equipment? Seems to be alot of Valmet in my area.

I have never even heard of it haha!

We work alot of forest service timber here, try to have the lightest medium sized skidders and be able to work, big skidders are nice but with a no rut policy we can't use the big ones much.

Ben,

I personally like the Cat 525 grapple skidder I know a couple of my friends here in NH thats all they'll buy is Cat's.They are a very comfortable machine to run I have borrowed my friends when I broke my JD in my opinion they are a very good machine.As far as the Valmet equipment I don't know a whole lot about them but I'm sure someone here does..

Later Rob...

The guy i cut for bought a 518 grapple new in 95, its got over 11000 hrs. on it without many brake downs,cat quality but you pay for it, but i guess their all high $ these days, don't know much about valmet do know a guy that had a small cutting machine, had pretty good luck with it.

Your right there are quite a few pics of the Valmet equipment in there I just got this months issue yesterday afternoon.

Later Rob..

I myself am partial to Franklin-Treefarmer. Made right here in Franklin Va. My half-witted father worked there as a welder:( when he wasn't home recovering from flash burns to his eyes. My Great Uncle designed the originals. and my half Great-Grandfather
helped start the company. Just don't take my opinion to heart! Use whatever skidders you prefer.

I like Cat because they last. I drive a 1996 525 that I drove when it was new. It has the original motor that only recently blew a head gasket. This is the first time any part of the motor has been gone into. Before we bought the 525 I drove a 1993 Cat 518C that our logging company still uses daily (we have 2-525's and the 518C). I've driven a couple of JD 648's that had good power but they were always coming unglued.

logcutter429 said:
cat quality but you pay for it

This is true. You get what you pay for "if you can". JMO :)

Back