Felling a leaning tree.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You could also use a throw line if there are any branches left on the dead standing... Aim high on the side opposite that which you want to to fell toward, run a "fishing line" type system down to the base of the tree and tie it off. Then you can put a man or machine on the loose end. This will ensure that the tree doesn't tip the wrong way and still gives you the advantage of having a "directional anchor" on the loose end of the rope. Of course, notch and cut accordingly... A throw line allows you to get a rope high into the tree without climbing it, which is nice if the tree is dead.

Whats nice is when you go out to a job that the tree is dead and snapped and barely lodged toward the house! I have had several like this. I sometime hook my 20000 snatch block up into a good spot then set the winch line in sound wood near the top and tighten up a little. I then start cutting from the butt until it stands and then a block at a time and lower making sure it stays butt heavy.
It has amazed a few homeowners to watch!

You could also use a throw line if there are any branches left on the dead standing... Aim high on the side opposite that which you want to to fell toward, run a "fishing line" type system down to the base of the tree and tie it off. Then you can put a man or machine on the loose end. This will ensure that the tree doesn't tip the wrong way and still gives you the advantage of having a "directional anchor" on the loose end of the rope. Of course, notch and cut accordingly... A throw line allows you to get a rope high into the tree without climbing it, which is nice if the tree is dead.

Ehh climbing my winch is attached to a 23000lb bucket truck mang!:monkey:

What kind of bucket truck weighs that much? What do you have, a tandem axle truck with front wheel drive?

We have a 60' Hi-Ranger on a single axle F750 chasis, it weighs 24,000 empty and has a gvw of 36,000. The weight adds up fast on those trucks.

My old F-700 had a hi-ranger 55' bucket, and it only weighed about 18K.

My Mack trash truck (single axle) with 20' dumping trash compactor bed, big diesel engine and automatic transmission, air brakes, 14,000lb front axle with oversized tires only weighs 24,500.

My c-6000 crane/chipper truck (single axle) with 12,000 lb capacity IMT crane, extra man-cab, and 13' dump bed with removable metal roof only weighs 22,000.

I guess I just haven't seen enough trucks yet.

What kind of bucket truck weighs that much? What do you have, a tandem axle truck with front wheel drive?

No It is 2wd f800 diesel 33000 gvw large pto winch with bumper
no headache rack but has bin body. I weighed it loaded with all my
gear! It probably weighs 21000 empty if that helps.

Last edited:
You guys and your heavy equipment... Sure, it's nice to have a 20,000 lb. anchor at times, but what if there's a fence, or garage, or a garden... Does your 10 ton truck grow wings and fly over them? Does it put on ballerina slippers and dance around the garden? I'm not saying I wouldn't love to have a boom truck, but what do you do in tight quarters?... Climbing is forever. Like a diamond.

You guys and your heavy equipment... Sure, it's nice to have a 20,000 lb. anchor at times, but what if there's a fence, or garage, or a garden... Does your 10 ton truck grow wings and fly over them? Does it put on ballerina slippers and dance around the garden? I'm not saying I wouldn't love to have a boom truck, but what do you do in tight quarters?... Climbing is forever. Like a diamond.

Good question I will just say this, there are the few that I don't get to yes. 1 of 10 that I can't get in and I charge what its worth when I can't. I do dance a truck well though and with plywood or mats you would be extremely surprised at my ability to put that truck into tight quarters! I have many times had one inch each side and made out fine so consider it dueling truckos :hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:
hey rope if you got one inch of clearance on both sides how do you get out of the truck lmao???? is that when the ol lady gets to run the bigger stuff???

Yeah I think it is, I know it's a Big Mack!

Nah that is the grapple it weighs 29500 empty, so I can only legally
haul seven tons with the tandems. I want to get a pusher axle some day,
because I know I have run overloaded a time or two :laugh: I can usually
fit a forty inch dbh on in one load brush wood and all, the truck will handle
it fine but tagged 44000 is all they allow for tandems. Question; what would
a 40 dbh oak weigh the whole thing brush wood etc?

hey rope if you got one inch of clearance on both sides how do you get out of the truck lmao???? is that when the ol lady gets to run the bigger stuff???

I have had to crawl out the windows before, dukes of hazard style!
My point was depending on experiance level of an operator many times
you can get in where other people believe it impossible. My mack is
a little harder sometimes but I love the five reverse gears it has.
Lowest reverse gear I can walk twice as fast it creeps very slow
allows you time to check mirrors and get aligned. If ya don't want tfa
just kick it in fifth reverse but better have some room and talent cause
you will be booking!

oh im just givin ya sh@t lol. ive backed some trailers and dumps into some nasty stuff before. had a gmc 5500 with a chipper top. i manuevered that little bugger thru quite a few backyards. the cab over engines are extremely nice to have.

did you hear that Mack started doing away with the bulldog hood ornament? apparently two @$$holes staring at each other all day makes for cracnky truck drivers lol

oh im just givin ya sh@t lol. ive backed some trailers and dumps into some nasty stuff before. had a gmc 5500 with a chipper top. i manuevered that little bugger thru quite a few backyards. the cab over engines are extremely nice to have.

did you hear that Mack started doing away with the bulldog hood ornament? apparently two @$$holes staring at each other all day makes for cracnky truck drivers lol

Like my dawg is hungry fer some action:laugh: R models are cool mad max! No one wants to play chicken:cry:

I'm with you on that!

I did a leaner just yesterday...in a nature reserve, culling invasives.
About a 45-50' casuarina leaning back quite a bit towards all the native plantings, only clear spot was directly opposite the lean and downhill.
Got a throwline up about 2/3 height, not a very big branch it went over, so I lead the rope down the back side and tied it off just above where I was going to cut it. This helps distribute the pulling load somewhat, so all the force is not concentrated in one spot.

Set up a 3:1 pull with pulleys and friction hitches (Z rig) anchored into the baygrapes, the guys took up slack off to one side.
Split level back cut...half a back cut at horizontal, bang in a high lift wedge, go round the other side, (carefully cause there was a big hanger in it too) finish the other half of the backcut angled and slightly below, set the hinge, step away, the guys pulled it over no problem.

Back