Few simple questions about what Pro saw for my needs. (researched first)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ex Umbra

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey Gang,
Been researching here for some time... but this is my first post.

I have been running saws for years for my own fire wood & for a few local grading & excavating companies. When I worked for others, I just fired up their whatever "pro" saw and went to work. My own saws- I have ran the hound out of a couple of 455 Ranchers.
Yeah a bit on the heavy side coupled with a bit on the weak side but the least headache to own/operate of all the various saws I have exposure to. Can;t say enough about them- they are in their job as reliable and headache free as an anvil in it's job.

However I need more saw now. Time to step up. What saw for me??? I'm thinking a good used 036 pro. Whatta ya think? Here are my parameters:

I have a TOTAL budget of $500, for the saw to be in top shape, good bar a few chains, etc. can spend no more than $500 by the time the saw is in the woods ready to work. I can not go one cent over that.

I'm cutting small to medium diameter (relative terms around here I imagine) [rarely bigger than 20" diameter] hard and soft wood. Mostly on the smaller side and now where I moved to mostly soft wood. I need/use fire every or nearly everyday, (see my profile) so I need fire wood year round. Fire wood, and clearing jeep trails will be the role of this saw.

My 455 Rancher is easily an adequate saw except I'm a BIG LAD. I guess with my torso size and weight of my arms- I tend to be really heavy handed on a saw compared to a regular sized 'Jack. Like I said my 455 Rancher is fine for the job but unless I actually think "lift a little" when the saw is in the cut or I bog the saw. I have to be mindful to hold the weight of my arms up instead of letting them rest on the saw handles. I'm tired of this and have a little money.

Per my research my 455 is about 3.5 hp with a chain speed on 60ish f/s. I run a 20" bar almost exclusively.

I have a list of about 10 saws between Huskies and Stihl's that are true pro saws, up around 4.5 hp. I don't want a saw that is over 13lbs flat as I hike with my saw a good bit here and there.

So what would you guys recommend within my parameters?

< or = $500
13 lbs or lighter
max power I can get in the above limits.

I'm looking at a 036 pro that looks like it's in nice shape for $300, bar is so-so, needs a few chains.
Also, I have built a few truck motors. I can rebuild the top end of a saw if need be.....

Thanks so much. This site is a treasure. Any body have a deal on a saw please let me know.

-Umbra

Thanks.

I do not know much about other brands, but I would say a good used 036 would do real well for your purpose. or an 044/046 (somewhat heaver). if you take your time you can find them in the classifieds or Craigslist or ebay. I have an 036 that is a really good saw. PM me if interested

Since you mentioned your profile, I just can't resist -

How about a stone axe? Plenty primitive! :D

I am not very impressed with 036 or MS361 or MS360. They run good after they've had some mods, for sure! The non-pro 036 is my favorite go to saw:msp_thumbsup:

After reading your needs the only thing that comes to mind is a used 70cc saw.

372 440 046 460 maybe even 441 461 if you find a used one that falls within your budget.

I had a ported 359 ported 034 and rarely cut with them always grab a 440 or 044 first now a 046.

Good luck with your decision

You say yoyl rebuild it well #### man themes project saws are cheap. Often inside 100 bucks.

500 bucks will get you in the 70cc range wearing a Oregon light weight 28". And some lgx or skip chain

I don't care if its over your 13lb limit you'll be better off for it.

Last edited:
After reading your needs the only thing that comes to mind is a used 70cc saw.

372 440 046 460 maybe even 441 461 if you find a used one that falls within your budget.

I had a ported 359 ported 034 and rarely cut with them always grab a 440 or 044 first now a 046.

Good luck with your decision

Wow, 70cc? I need that much saw? Cool, please educate me as to why you think. I'm listening.

I am not very impressed with 036 or MS361 or MS360. They run good after they've had some mods, for sure! The non-pro 036 is my favorite go to saw:msp_thumbsup:

I know where there is a deal on a NON-pro 036. What is the difference and why do you prefer the non pro model? Also like the address in your signature line!

Since you mentioned your profile, I just can't resist -

How about a stone axe? Plenty primitive! :D
Believe it or not I have one I made!! I wish I could be nostalgic and use stone tools and old world tools (cross cut saws- which I'm a heck of a sawyer with) However I do not have time to live it purely AND teach folk. I wish I could live it purely, but them folk- students they are called are my income and lively hood!

Thanks All!!!!!!

Cause if 60 is good then 70 is better.also save money since youl most likely end up with a 70cc saw anyways

I prefer non-pro 036 because of the air inlet, a comp release is not needed, and it has a neater cleaner profile and the price and availability is better.

Cause if 60 is good then 70 is better.also save money since youl most likely end up with a 70cc saw anyways

Thanks, but thats nearly in the 15 lb range. Thats a lot of saw to hike off trail with carrying it or yur back with your lunch,water, gas & earl, sqwrench, file, etc.

357xp'd fit the bill, as would an 036/361.

yeah I'd take a lead on a good used 357XP. A 567XP is my dream saw(!!!), but my wallet has not the muscle.

I prefer non-pro 036 because of the air inlet, a comp release is not needed, and it has a neater cleaner profile and the price and availability is better.

Cool. Same power?? Chain speed? Same-same as far as the wood cut is concerned except no compression release?

Also everyone- since I'm "heavy handed" on a saw, should I go to a skip-tooth chain? I run pro chains, but have never ran a skip-tooth which per my studies on the net keeps Rpm's up.... ?

Thanks everyone. I'm keeping a close eye here on this post this weekend & on your feedback as I hope to pay for a saw monday and have it in the truck or in the mail same day.... I appreciate you taking me serious.
-Umbra

Last edited:
...what would you guys recommend within my parameters?

< or = $500
13 lbs or lighter
max power I can get in the above limits...

With 3.5 hp, assuming a sharp chain, a 455 Rancher in good shape and well-tuned should be able to cut 20" dia. softwood without much fuss. Also, a 16" bar w/ .325 pitch chain might work better on that saw. A 20" bar is 60-70cc territory. Getting the 455 to cut better might take the pressure off finding a new saw right away.

AFAIK, no 70cc saw weighs 13 lbs or less; a pro 60cc saw is what you want. I saw a clean stock MS361 in the local CL for $425 a couple of months ago. Husky 357xp would be another candidate.

A properly modded 036 is a wood eating monster, heavy handed, no problem! Full comp 20" 3/8 is FAST, also a 24" full skip works real good.

I think the bottom line is High power per weight is what makes a saw GOOD. The sponsor porters know their stuff and the $$$ goes. Do the mods yourself and the satisfaction soars!

359/357xp fits what you want and is what I'd get if in your shoes.

Save a little money and get it ported down the road. Now that'd put a huge smile on your face!

I'd put the question to the guys here w repair shops to see what 60cc-ish saw they can ship you w bar and sharp chains.

Latest posts

Back