Fill er Up-1800 gallons please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice pics!!
My bro is near you at a new oilsands site,, burning that fuel off on those and the big Cat D11's and the Cat 24 graders,, he is not allowed to take pictures!!!
Some do escape and are awesome!!!

So Jumper, how do you prevent fuel theft? If only a handful of guys were doing it, you'd never notice in an 1,800 gallon tank.

Each truck, dozer etc has a fuel key. No key, no fuel. Computer keeps track of what each vehicle burns. Plus the mine is a restricted secured area, not many light vehicles allowed in, like mine is. In any event most with access get their fuel from us via key as there are no stations unless you drive back to town, about 50 miles one way.

Last edited:
Seems like I read somewhere that the cats have a normal drive train. Other brands though use electric generators and the wheels are driven by electric motors. I may be mistaken though.

I have the fuel consumption figures in my office somewhere....twin V-12 diesels in tandem on the same drive shaft......the German competition as I recall uses electric motors on each wheel, the Cat a conventional style drivetrain.

So how many gallons an hour does that truck burn, and how often for a fill??
Whats in it for power and drive line??:popcorn:

I worked for a short and miserable time in a quarry that had smaller 50 ton trucks, 773B I think.
They had a single V12 that looked like two V6's bolted together. The drive shaft came off the back of the motor and went to the transmission that was bolted on to the front of the back axle. The back axle had some kind of electronic traction control.
The brake system was redundant. It had a foot brake that could be set for all four corners, front brakes only and rear brakes only. It had a primary hand operated trans brake on the right and a secondary one on the left.
The front suspension had no springs or pivot arms, the front hub rode on and was located by what looked like a big hydrualic cylinder that was a load carrying shock absorber.

Last edited:
I work in a mine also and we only have 775 haul trucks. It's a granite mine in Georgia. Those 797-360 ton haul trucks are HUGE:jawdrop:! We load ours with a 990 series II. Our haul trucks burn about 100+/- gallons in 8-9 hours. The loader burns about 200+/- in the same time. It's amazing that Cat can build an automatic trans. that holds up to that and The big 3 (Ford, Chevy, Dodge)can't.

Last edited:
I work in a mine also and we only have 775 haul trucks. It's a granite mine in Georgia. Those 797-360 ton haul trucks are HUGE:jawdrop:! We load ours with a 990 series II. Our haul trucks burn about 100+/- gallons in 8-9 hours. The loader burns about 200+/- in the same time. It's amazing that Cat can build an automatic trans. that holds up to that and The big 3 (Ford, Chevy, Dodge)can't.

Correct me if Im wrong...but dont the larger mining trucks have electric motor drives?

The engines spin a generator that powers electric motors at the wheels.

i work for the caterpillar plant that assembles and tests the engines in the largest cat equip. a 797 w/ v24(two twelves coupled at crank)makes almost 3400hp. I cant remember the exact fuel consumtion rate at full load, but if I recall correctly, it uses 125 gallons per hour...

Latest posts

Back