finally after 6 hours

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

o8f150

Tree Freak
Reaction score
my wife and i was out this eve cutting up a big elm that died after the ice storm last year.. been using the 370 a lot the last few days and after about 6 hours of cutting i finally need to change the chain and put a sharp 1 on. it isn't throwing dust yet but it is getting dull. not bad for that much cutting even though it wasn't a lot of oak or hickory. now i know why i like carlton chains.:chainsawguy:

I hope you have some good files. I just found out yesterday how a new woodlandpro (carlton) chain eats files, on new chains.:dizzy:

after about 6 hours of cutting i finally need to change the chain and put a sharp 1 on. it isn't throwing dust yet but it is getting dull.
Bummer. If you had been using one of those miracle chains that comes with chinese chainsaws, you could have gone 40 or so tanks before needing to sharpen.

Or at least, that's what someone said on another thread. :dizzy:

your right

I hope you have some good files. I just found out yesterday how a new woodlandpro (carlton) chain eats files, on new chains.:dizzy:

good chain but have a lot of cleaning up to do the first time. mine always had a nasty hump between cutter and racker. dont know the formal words but you should understand.

Man, if you had been using your big one, you might have been done in three hours!! :clap: REJ2

i did use the big 1 on the 20" logs. but i just had bunches of logs that where 10-12" diameter. that 670 does get heavy after a while

files are to much work. i just pull the chain off and put it on the grinder and touch it up. i used to use files to do touchups and take them to my dealer and do a good sharpening but he would take off so much of the teeth that he would blue it. when i put them on my grinder i just touch them enough to make the metal shiny all the way across the teeth and it is sharp again.

I hate to blow your mind but typically I go a whole firewood season on a sharp chain unless I do something stupid , but then I use Stihl chain .
So I am not sure if you are bragging or complaining.
Or is it about 6 hours to cut up a tree ,
2 years back I cut up 41 elm trees with a 260 and a 361 , and never touched the chains .

I hate to blow your mind but typically I go a whole firewood season on a sharp chain unless I do something stupid , but then I use Stihl chain .
2 years back I cut up 41 elm trees with a 260 and a 361 , and never touched the chains .

:monkey:

I believe this... it says right on page 1 in my chainsaw operator's manual that "it is a bad idea to touch the chain while cutting a tree."

6 hours is a long time to go without sharpening a chain. I have done it before when I was cutting clean wood and was careful took keep the bar out of the dirt. But come on... 41 trees with 2 saws and you never sharpened a chain! If you were cutting those trees into firewood length, then you had two seriously dull chains.

I believe this... it says right on page 1 in my chainsaw operator's manual that "it is a bad idea to touch the chain while cutting a tree."

6 hours is a long time to go without sharpening a chain. I have done it before when I was cutting clean wood and was careful took keep the bar out of the dirt. But come on... 41 trees with 2 saws and you never sharpened a chain! If you were cutting those trees into firewood length, then you had two seriously dull chains.

i am VERY careful txtree not to get the chain in the dirt,. but sometimes it happens and the logs where clean

First I do all my own chains they get the use of a DAF . The chains when they go in service are razor sharp . I can sharpen chains for lenght of use 0r speed of cut .
The ones I had were service chains honestly I do go many tanks on chains before I even look at them .
Really honestly I am not sure what you guys all do but I probably never look at a saw chain till after a couple of days of cutting .
My worse cutting ever was in my home town and it was a street tree . 3 cuts and you sharpened the chain
Oh by the way the biggest elm was maybe 12" :dizzy:

Bummer. If you had been using one of those miracle chains that comes with chinese chainsaws, you could have gone 40 or so tanks before needing to sharpen.

Or at least, that's what someone said on another thread. :dizzy:

I just saw something similar here, too....hoping not to blow our minds no less?:dizzy:

What the hell is in the water up there anyway?

Sheesh.

Poge

still dealing with scrap wood from 2009 ice storm

Also damage from leftover winds from Hurricane Ike the year before, intend
to have some bonfires on the brush piles when weather is cool & damp enough.

Back