Finally bought me a Dolmar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So did I and here it is.

I messed with the 5100 some and timed it again in the 10" oak log and it was about 12 seconds through it. (stopwatch in my hand while cutting)

attachment.php

Nice review. Thanks Mark! Your chain is loose
And I believe that your conclusion is very good, that it is as good/bad as any other saw in it's class. That is also my belief and the reason why I donot believe that the saws of the major players are that much better to pay for those pretty steep price increases.

.. if a new saw is really that big of an improvement over what Dad could buy at my age. I think the answer is always a maybe. Newer saws: less upkeep, easier to find parts, more money. Old saws: more maintenance, sometimes hard to find parts for, but always (for me) less money. The weight thing comes into play, ease of starting does not for me because if its running right it should start easy enough. Most of us on here know that its not usually the saws, its the users and that any given saw on any given day will embarrass either its self or the user, sometimes both.

Very good question! :clap: I think you answered most questions yourself. But the same question applies to many other areas. One of my favorites is Fashion, always trying to reinvent the style of the last decades. :laugh:

I don't know where you thought I was comparing it to a 306A, apples and oranges and it will smoke a 306A. But...my old 306A will grudingly pull a 24" bar with full .375 chain through some bigger hardwoods, the 5100? I doubt it.

LOL, Didn't think you were......I was just pointing out that my 50cc 5100 would whip a 59cc green saw from yesteryear, that I know you're fond of.

A tree guy at the local Dolly dealer claims he runs 24" bars on his 5100s and says they'll pull it. I laughed but the dealer said he does, even though he doesn't agree with it. Thought about giving it a whirl, with skip chain, just for ####s and giggles. :laugh:

My 5100-S comes out at a tad over 200psi cold compression and is a tough little sucker to pull over without a decomp. My Husky 3120 is easier to start!
Seriously though the only downfall I've seen with the 5100-S is the marginal standard filtration, just like it's bigger brothers except you can at least get a HD filter kit for the 6400-7900's. If Dolmar released a similar kit for the 5100's I'd have no complaints at all.
Best bit is it'll thrash the pants off every 55cc Stihl 029 that I've used.

(sorry, gotta rub it into the Stihl guys when I can) :cheers:

Most of the Poulan/Echo D176 18" bars were 66 dl bars and I thought the Homelites were as well.

Thanks for the 5100 review Mark. Good stuff. Don't mind the BS.

The Carlton 18" sprocket nose on my XL12 is wearing 65DL of 3/8" (that's the length Baileys recomended when I ordered the loop and the bar at the same time). With a brand new loop of Woodland Pro 30RC it is right at the outside edge of adjustment when I run a 7 pin rim (which is stock). It'd be happier with 64DL, although I'm gonna try an 8-pin rim soon for poops and giggles. Should take up the slack perfectly, and I believe that XL12 (which now has an SXL P/C) can pull it.

The original 16" Homelite hardnose I had on that saw before the Carlton had 59DL on it. The 20" Oregon sprocket nose on my SXL-AO runs 70DL loops. Also have a 24" Homelite hardnose with a 81DL loop stashed away........although that will go on an XL700/800/900 series saw someday.

Here you go buttwipe, I'm back here now. WTF has got into you? Someone piss in your cheerios while I was gone? Jeeze I just said I wasn't that impressed with what must be your favorite saw.

You would have thought I said I seen your mother and sister working in a whore house.

You think I said that I was shill bidding do you? Your full of bullsh*t.

I said and I quote

"Been thinking about trying one for some time. Just curious I guess but don't really need one as I have been more then happy with a Husky 350 or 353 for firewood cutting.

Ran across this one from a most upstanding member selling it on ebay. On a whim I placed a bid on it, mostly just trying to help the member get his reserve met and figured for sure I would be outbid anyway.

You can see how that turned out."

Read it again and use that feeble biased mind to understand what I said. I said that I had been thinking for sometime about buying one to try for myself didn't I?

Looking up the sale on ebay? Big deal.

I never mentioned who the seller was because it's irrelevant and no ones business really. I did feel good about buying it from Mike because I knew it would be in the shape that he said it was and mark my word it was.

Mike never mentioned to me that he was selling that saw, and I never talked to Mike about it before I bid on it. I really don't have to explain or defend myself to you either as again, it's really no ones bussiness, but since you think it is everyones business, there is the real story.

You want to play detective do you? Why don't you look up some of my post from last winter when I was hear asking about the deal my local dealer had on them then.

You will see I was thinking about buying one then but wondered if it would be that much better then the saws I had here to be worth the money spent on one.

I also said I put the bid on it mostly to get the reserve broke on it to help Mike out.

At $250 I thought that would be a good deal on it and I would be surprised if I didn't get outbid on it. I never said no way no how that I would not be taking it myself if I did not get outbid on it. I did not get stuck with it.

I had every intention to buy that saw if I won it and I did. I also didn't have to ask my wife if it was ok or have to take out a loan to pay for it.

I just didn't want to spend the full price on a new one just to see for myself if it lived up to the hype it gets around here from biased fanatics like you.

I don't expect anyone to take credence in my reviews, just like I take others from a Internet board with caution.

That's also why I open up my wallet to put my money where my mouth is to see for myself if what a dill rod like you says is true.

So if you don't believe what I say about it, I really could care less, because I now know first hand about a Dolmar 5100s.

Just because I didn't rave up your saw, you wish me a fried saw? Very nice of you and shows the world what kind of guy you really are. Your proud of that too I'm sure.

Oh and I did compare the saw today with some others. Don't look if you don't want too or can't stand it.

Dude you bought a "USED" saw, how do we know for sure this thing is "LIKE NEW" It looks new, yeah give me a break! I aint a sweatin' my saw cause big boy, you ain't never ran it.

I really have no dog in this fight, just hate to see some dude get his big ole cow kitty in bunch cause I pointed out the obvious

My words are of steel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yours and moped mans words are of DUNG_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________-

Been thinking about trying one for some time. Just curious I guess but don't really need one as I have been more then happy with a Husky 350 or 353 for firewood cutting.

Ran across this one from a most upstanding member selling it on ebay. On a whim I placed a bid on it, mostly just trying to help the member get his reserve met and figured for sure I would be outbid anyway.

You can see how that turned out. :)

I wasn't sure if I would keep it. Thought I might flip it as I have had quite a few local people looking for saws but I had another fella talk me into selling my 353 so it looks like this is staying awhile.

I'm having second thoughts on selling the 353. LOL

Just as I thought this saw is in excellent conditon, looks like a real low hour saw and seems to run really well. Just a small L and idle adjustment to suit me and a quick check on the tach shows its running 14,300 rpm.

I made a about 16 cuts in a 12" piece of hard white oak just to get a feel for it. I think its going to take some getting used to for me to quit missing my Husky as far as comfort and feel go.

The main thing I don't like so far is this bar and chain. It's setup with a 18" 3/8's setup which is actually a 17" bar with a odd to me 64DL chain. The other thing is I don't care much for that choke/switch setup that reminds me too much of a Sthil setup.

My first impression in this hardwood is that I'm not that impressed.

I think the 3/8's setup will get changed out for a 18" .325 since I have one here to try. I can try it with some 20LP as well as the 95VP that I like so well in the brush piles.

I also have 16" and 20" 3/8's bars and chains to try on it as well.

Also I still have the 353 and will try it side by side tomorrow also.

I'm going to give it a fair trial, and it's not only a speed test, as that's not that important to me.

Will take any suggestions you guy who have these have to give.

attachment.php

attachment.php

That saw looks to be in great shape there. I have one of those. Mine is a mean lil huzzy, it will boogie. I know nothing about a 353 but I have a 346NE and in wood over 10 inches my 5100 gives it a minor spanking everytime but not by much, second or less. You will have alot of fun with that saw, the 5100 is an amazing little saw. Put a 23RS Stihl chain on yours and watch the chips fly,:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Oh I think it is not better but it is a much better bargain. A professional saw 30 years ago of that size would have cost you $300+ My 4200 was around $439 without a bar and chain. Gas had just gone up to 50 cents a gallon...you do the math...

The new saws are a bargain....the biggest bargain of all time was the Poulan 330's for $179 at Tractor supply last year....that would be like buying it for $30, 30 years ago.

Thats fuzzy math, not because you're wrong, but because you can grab any set of numbers and go. Fact is, your new saw is put together by people making in a month what people in LA and Shreveport made in a week. Materials were better for the most part, and way less plastic. And as for gas, the taxes on it have increased, but the actual price for oil has only doubled, sometimes tripled.

Assembled here? I'd like to see that, I mean I don't think they come in bags of parts, prolly pretty much together and the German and Swedish saws are being made in other places now also. Brazil and china, and carbs mostly in china also. Such is life now. I hope you are around a long time yet, and still don't wear out your Poulan. But try hard while you're at it!

Perhaps I'm a little old fashioned, but when I first read the post It seemed you were just bidding up your buds saw so the reserve would be met and he would get a "higher bid" anyway.

In my book shilling is; "bidding on an item to bump the price up"

If it so happens to be an "most upstanding member" I guess in all of your eyes, a little bump would do no harm.

What's a little bump between friends?

We are upstanding members here and are above reproach.

Well I still think the best thing that could of happened is that Mark ended up with a fried saw.

Harsh? Yes!

I believe that what goes around, comes around.

Have a good day.

I

Perhaps I'm a little old fashioned, but when I first read the post It seemed you were just bidding up your buds saw so the reserve would be met and he would get a "higher bid" anyway.

If it so happens to be an "most upstanding member" I guess in all of your eyes, a little bump would do no harm.

Well I still think the best thing that could of happened is that Mark ended up with a fried saw.

Harsh? Yes!

Have a good day.

I

Since we are all trying to play nice i will begin my post with Sir, you are an idiot!
The entire reason that ebay exists is for people to be able to purchase things at a cheaper price than what they ordinarily could. When Mark encountered this saw for sale he admittedly went on a "fishing trip". I have done the same thing, I bid very cheap on an item and if i win it good for me if someone out bids me oh well maybe next time. In MHO the saw sold cheap enough that if I had stumbled across it I would have also bid in hopes of catching the "fish". I personally know both Mark and Mike and it offends me (pisses me off) that you would have the gall to accuse either one of these two men of shill bidding. I know for a fact that $250.00 is not enough to buy either one of those guys honor. Also when you listed the ebay link did you notice that Mark was the FIRST bidder that broke the reserve? So how was he running up the bid to benefit Mike? If case you have a short memory, you Sir, are an idiot!

Any way you slice it, $250 for a running 5100 is a total fluke on ebay. Im sure Mark thought "well, if i can get one for that price..." and bid accordingly.

I nearly bought another 262 the other day because it was a good price. Didnt need it, wouldnt have probably kept it, but for that price, I didnt want to let it pass by. My friend wanted it too though (local pawn shop) so I let him have it.

Harsh? Yes!
Have a good day.
I

I wasnt going to comment on this at all but it seems you wont let it be.
Man,i can understand your consternation with the situation but i think you may be missing something..
Shill bidding requires the seller and bidder to be in cohorts to "artificcially" bump up the price.
it seems to me the winning bidder figured bumping up the bid would result in a higher price for the seller,YES,and if he won the auction he would get the seller more money but HE would end up with a nice saw cheap..it is not "shill" bidding if you fully intend to purchase even if it IS on a whim..
i think you may be reading to much mal-intent into this situation..
if "I" knew he was selling the saw,and the bid was that low,i also would have put in a bid figuring if i got it great,if i got out bid let the market decide the price..
looks like the market decided the price eh ??
and pretty darn LOW price at that !!

"

must be getting old

I have a 4200 I recall giving $300 for NOS back in the early 80's, never
heard of a Dolmar in those days, now I have a teal green version of 520.

Mo,just looked at your profile,,"grouchy old fart" ?? at your age you shouldnt be !!! :) not old enuf yet !!..
looks like you got enuf goin fer ya,,ya can let this one go and regroup man..
havin an off spell aint unussuall and i'm layin off this subject now,as i think all should..

Harsh? Yes!

Have a good day.

I

I see your still wishing me a fried saw! For what? Telling my true opinion of a 5100s?

Any way you slice it, $250 for a running 5100 is a total fluke on ebay. Im sure Mark thought "well, if i can get one for that price..." and bid accordingly.

Justin, that is exactly what the deal was! You at least "get it".

Yep, I got a good deal on a nice saw from a seller that I highly trusted!

The seller who just happened to be a friend of mine also got his reserve met, the saw sold and is as happy with the deal as I am.

Yep ole Mark really put the screws to a bunch of people didn't he?

Read that again you trouble making fool. Read the part where it says "mostly"!

Look it up if you have to, but mostly does not mean only..

Well said,

I apologize to all.

Good day.

Too late to apologize now, you had too much time to think it through between each post.

I also caught your feeble attempts to slam me by referring to me as a "big boy" on more then a couple occasion's.

Your a really cool cat ain't you?

You forget that your picture is also posted on this site as well. When I look at it I can't help to feel sorry for you as I think that when you were born you were only 10 seconds away from being born a full blown mongoloid, but still to late to keep the brain from being damaged.

Now just try to remember at all times how your state of the art Dolmar hot rod got outrun by a 20 year old Poulan.

Now I guess that I will apologize and all will be fine and dandy... :ices_rofl:

Back