Finally bought me a Dolmar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know one thing, this is the first time I ever really set about timing saws and it may well be some time till I do it again.

I really won't put much faith in anyones times again either as on a small piece of wood there is just too much room for error with a human hand trying to run a stop watch.

Just don't seem to make much sense for a firewood saw. Is .2 seconds per cut really going to make a difference how much wood gets put in a truck at the end of a day?

The only person you can trust with a stopwatch is yourself vs. yourself :cheers: Everybody has a different technique. What also amazes me that a lot of guys do cutting speed comparos and then start stating this saw is faster than that saw and they're not even using the same chain when doing the comparisons!
You're also correct in the 0.2s bit. Most of the time spent cutting on a normal day is actually not spent cutting, if you know what I mean ;)

After the muffler and filter change my saw ended up being about dead even with his .325 saw. So the saw seems better with the non cat muffler and I'm going to keep it around for some time.

I didn't realize until your second to last post that you had a cat muffler. Things make a bit more sense now. My early 2006 ("vintage" lol) 5100 (non cat) has always ran extremely strong......Speed and grunt. :chainsaw:

I know one thing, this is the first time I ever really set about timing saws and it may well be some time till I do it again.

Just don't seem to make much sense for a firewood saw. Is .2 seconds per cut really going to make a difference how much wood gets put in a truck at the end of a day?

:cheers:

Agreed, I really have no desire to time saws. My 5100 puts my firewood up in short order and is always a thrill to let her rip and that's really all I care about......Sharp chains, fresh fuel, the chips flying and a warm fire! :givebeer:

Back