Finally got a good deal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleddude5

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've been looking for a good deal on a larger used saw for almost a year, and finally it popped up.

While on Craigslist.com I spotted this used MS460 with a 25" bar that was for sale in my area. So I contacted the guy, and the next morning I made the 45 minute trip to his house with cash in my pocket.

When I got there he dug the saw out from a pile of stuff in the garage pulled the ripcord twice and it started right up. I cut a couple logs with it, and noticed a funky sour gas smell, most of you all know what I'm talking about, but the saw ran perfect.

I gave the guy 325 bucks for the saw and an Alaskan 3 milling attachment, then turned tail and headed for home before he changed his mind.

I don't think this saw was ever cleaned, so when I got home I started tearing the 460 down and spent a couple hours clearing crap out of all the crevices, drained the funky gas and gave the carb a good cleaning. Compression is a solid 140#, and the piston looks good from what I can see through the exhaust.

So here is a pic of my new workhorse:

saw.jpg

This is my first Alaskan mill, any advice on what chain to use, setting it up, etc?

Thanks,
Jerry C

Last edited:
good stuff - can't really comment on the deal as I'm in the UK (Althouh would be over twice the price without the mill here) but looks pretty good. 140's on the slightly low side, you may want to consider new rings sometime soon...

cool deal...they are good saws..

one thing i have noticed about compression #'s is that it is highly dependent on the tester ive tried 2 testers side by side and seen 10-15lbs difference in them

With my nephew's Snap On compression tester I got 160# cold and 155# hot.

The numbers were about 10-15# higher than what my Craftsman compression gauge reads.

Just an FYI...

Jerry C

Very sweet deal! The Alaskan Mill is worth $125 as is so figure you got the 460 for $200! Nice! May she run ya out :cheers:

Latest posts

Back