Fire

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A friend sent me this one today (you know who you are). It give me a sinking feeling in my stomach to look ahead the next few years at WUI versus Wildland versus The Public. There will be some Lessons Learned locally this year, as well.

I read the link. What's your take on it? If you're not comfortable with sharing that here we can talk about it at the next GTG.

I'm on a fire now and there are decisions being made that I don't understand.

In the very grand scheme of things, I think that what will come of this will be a policy of wildland firefighters being encouraged to let houses burn along WUI margins more often. I think this policy will be very unpopular. My hope is that local communities will take it upon themselves to fund and maintain Firesafe standards, which will require thinning and pruning forested areas adjacent to them. I also hope to see less fear of prescribed burning. I want to see both a broader understanding of fire-dependent ecologies and a greater willingness to be proactive about local assets' safety. I want to see communities empowered to be less dependent on state and federal agencies for their own well-being. This argument could seem to be contrary to the discussion regarding "why does Prescott have a Hotshot crew, anyway?" It's not, though -- a Hotshot crew is a nationally-deployable asset which has no business milling around a single town. Prescott would have been better off spending that same money (I realize that it wouldn't be the SAME "same" money) on thinning and RX burning fire-prone areas in their own back yards.

Meanwhile, closer to home, I do definitely have some things I'd rather not speak about publicly. Once the fire season is over and the dust has settled, I'll see if I can't summarize our Lessons Learned.

Not to be a smartass here Nate, and I don't at all disagree with your thinking, BUT it would require the general public and our elected officials to think ahead and plan. Something that I personally feel they are failing miserably at.

It is kind of a Back To The Future thing. When I went to Fire School, back in 1970 something, they told us that we never were to fight structure fires. That was a job for the municipal depts. Then I read more and more about protecting structures by FS crews even. Will things go back the way they were?

I'm glad to see some stuff other than "they were heroes" coming out of the investigation. When a crew is killed, somebody made a mistake and it needs to come out.

I disagree with was it their boss? saying that firefighters want to be in the thick of things instead of waiting it out. I would much rather be safe in a safety area than be having to try out my fire shelter. His line of thinking is dangerous.

Is Arizona the new Colorado? Colorado used to have a reputation for getting folks killed. AZ is catching up. Remember the Dude fire?

Hey Bob, just be sure to have a safe place to retreat to. That's the number one way to survive. A nice, big clearing. It's OK to make one if you need to.

Not to be a smartass here Nate, and I don't at all disagree with your thinking, BUT it would require the general public and our elected officials to think ahead and plan. Something that I personally feel they are failing miserably at.

Agreed 100%. That's why I'm so careful to use words like "I think" and "I hope" -- I know that I'm farting in the wind, even though I think we have real opportunities for growth.

In other news: my sources tell me that there was a fatality today on a fire called "Na Bob". I think it's in California but that's all I know right now.

Hey Bob, just be sure to have a safe place to retreat to. That's the number one way to survive. A nice, big clearing. It's OK to make one if you need to.

Yup. That's one of the reasons I like running Cat on a fire versus falling. If things get flaky I have a lot more options.

I don't run as fast as I used to but that D-6 is as fast as it ever was. :laugh:

Agreed 100%. That's why I'm so careful to use words like "I think" and "I hope" -- I know that I'm farting in the wind, even though I think we have real opportunities for growth.

In other news: my sources tell me that there was a fatality today on a fire called "Na Bob". I think it's in California but that's all I know right now.

I looked at CalFire's website and couldn't find a fire with a name like that.

This was a tough fire.

Had a crew out of Michigan tramp within 30 minutes. They said it was too dangerous, too steep, etc. Rollout was always a concern, as well as slop over.

The crew pictured is a squad that was part of a Native crew. We nicknamed them the "A-Team", they were fast and hard workers. We had just cut in the line and they were putting in cup-trench. This mountainside was thick as a jungle. Most days we didn't have any sun on us all day, except when you would cut out a hole.

attachment.php

Latest posts

Back