Fire

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It depends on where you are. The Vancouver metro get's crazy, it's an all hands on deck kind of thing. Out in the rural areas it's less so. Gotta say, with it being a weekend this year, and the way the fine fuel moistures are expected to be, I am concerned. I won't be taking a day off, that's for sure. Most holidays I get on a different day, anyway.

I am one of the few fire administrators I know that don't profess to hate the day, though.

We're supposed to get the same temps as y'all, which will probably come close to recordbreaking for this time of year.

Should? I carry 3 radios pretty much all the time. My daily use 800 radio, a VHF Kenwood and a BK. I also have a spare BK and an extension mag mount antenna in my briefcase. Turn one on at 5:30, turn it off when I go to bed. I consider it a vacation day to leave them off...

My wife has come to loath the sound of static crackling, but she gets to leave hers at work...

Growing season is jacked here this year. We got grass seeding out already, vegetables seeding out. Waaay early for any of that. That also means we'll probably brown-out early too.

We've already finished one cutting. Garden is plumb stuffed with berries. Even our cherry trees are ripe.

I can see both sides of the argument. It's a huge investment to purchase the planes, and there isn't much off season work for a purpose built air tanker. I think a combination of a government owned contractor operated model and longer term private contracts makes the most sense to me. I think that it would make a lot of sense for a military agency to help the USFS set up the program.

Maybe they need to study it some more...

Back