Fire

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Word is Avenza is Beta testing a pro version, the free will only let you keep 3-4 self imported maps and unlimited Avenza store bought maps.

I'll probably buy the pro version then, with only a bit of grumbling, because I have really come to depend on that app. Good tools are worth money.

Hey Hatte. I met with the branch director for our branch and we talked maps. Everyone is using Avenza but with a very cool addition (which I did not see). The IAP each morning has a QR code on it that allows the current fire map, from an IR flight the night before, to overwrite Avenza and show the current fire's hot spots and/or boundary. This along with the large format paper map really allows for a much safer and faster attack. (At least once Cal Fire has left their motel and had breakfast, but that's a story for another time.)

The IAP each morning has a QR code on it that allows the current fire map, from an IR flight the night before, to overwrite Avenza and show the current fire's hot spots and/or boundary.

THAT IS SO COOL and I know how to do it and holy crap we live in the future. Thank you for the idea and link!

I have been called four times this year. That last call was for the Chimney fire at 02:30 Saturday morning. I used the excuse that my swamper Cody has drill this weekend, which is true. My contract is still valid but me safety training cert is expired. Besides I'm too busy to work. I would have liked to work the fire near Coalinga though.

Goose fire fresno county a few weeks ag .
20160730_150203.jpg 20160730_171820.jpg
Spots that started it's run up black mountain.
20160730_180123.jpg
20160730_190804.jpg
Patrol trucks barely visible nearly got roasted
20160730_195657.jpg
Run up black mountain.
20160730_203800.jpg 15 minutes into blow up the next afternoon the fire wasn't doing much until it jumped the retardant line. The fire was heading for the base camp at the base of the mountain. 20160731_155031.jpg 20160731_155943.jpg

There is a pretty cool pic making the rounds of a Fresno engine that suffered fire damage being towed by IIRC two dozers. I don't know the story of the pic, I just like it.

I'll be back to the Soberanes fire on Thursday to meet up with the forester and inspect trees for damage/soundness. Big Sur businesses have really taken a hit. Hwy 1 has been closed off and on for three weeks now. There is a short section of county road leading to our road that actually caught fire because of the logs supporting some fill caught fire. Of course the yellow jackets, everyone of them I think, are pissed off and looking for trouble. I just bought some more sting ease yesterday.

There is a pretty cool pic making the rounds of a Fresno engine that suffered fire damage being towed by IIRC two dozers. I don't know the story of the pic, I just like it.

I'll be back to the Soberanes fire on Thursday to meet up with the forester and inspect trees for damage/soundness. Big Sur businesses have really taken a hit. Hwy 1 has been closed off and on for three weeks now. There is a short section of county road leading to our road that actually caught fire because of the logs supporting some fill caught fire. Of course the yellow jackets, everyone of them I think, are pissed off and looking for trouble. I just bought some more sting ease yesterday.

Kern County
aa80eabc0fe3128e3ca02db54253308b.jpg
2e58d218e7b1646ca6465710830b3034.jpg

Parked in the black, left rear wheels heated up and ignited, spotted by air attack.

Update on Clear Lake Fire:

Suspect in custody, 17 counts arson

CA-LNU-Clayton

Clayton Fire Incident Information:

Last Updated:August 15, 2016 1:15 pm

Date/Time Started:August 13,2016 6:03 pm

Administrative Unit:CALFIRE Sonoma-Lake-Napa Unit

County:Lake County

Location:eek:ff Hwy 29 and Clayton Creek south of Lower Lake

Acres Burned - Containment:4,000 acres - 5% contained

Structures Threatened:1500

Structures Destroyed:175+

Structures Evacuated

Cause:Under Investigation, suspect in custody

Cooperating Agencies:CAL FIRE, Multiple local government fire departments, USFS, Department of Fish & Game, CA State Parks, Lake County Sheriffs, CHP, PG&E, CDCR and BLM.

Total Fire Personnel:1,044

total Fire Engines:122

Total Fire Crews:24

Total Airtankers:6

Total Helicopters:7

Total Dozers:22

Total Water Tenders:22

Long/Lat:-122.60664/38.89741

The fire continued to burning aggressively through the night. The communities impacted were Lower Lake and Clearlake. Additional resources arrived throughout the night. The fire behavior remains intense. Structures are threatened and currently mandatory evacuations are in place. Structure defense continues. Terrain is grassy oak woodland, heavy brush with difficult access.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...&share_fid=7911&share_type=t&share_pid=218012

Back