Fire

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm teaching my first full S-212 Wildland Fire Chainsaw Operations this week. Monday was classroom/shop, Tuesday first field day, Wednesday looks to be second field day to finish leaving the stand as required. I'm awaiting approval from higher up to be ICT4 so I can't sign off the certificates yet but I did all the hard work. The ICT4 red card should be board approved in the next few weeks. Gonna try to teach S-130 Pump Operations next week. Finally have support for training and you best believe I'm gonna jump on that opportunity!

Be safe out there on the lines

Always [emoji16][emoji16]
2d95c7b4562b2ca9b05e1084a2a956d3.jpg
c6c9b744208eaf5d8b9b57b89df23e2e.jpg

@catbuster A little bed time Iron for ya
24fc89afb649d166e7c175d9fd753f52.jpg
163c46fae6e6bf5e8ef8533d1957c5e2.jpg
a2836460412aa3b268baff00cc0a3e70.jpg
22f6acd59032027c424de20dd831d91a.jpg

And an impromptu lesson
a46136f907c3db1fea81e0a64ac48cc0.jpg
these are Bad-Ass [emoji13]

If you guys added a couple excavators you could finally catch up to the amount of iron I've got on my two sites right now.;)

Seriously though, it's been really quiet, and really wet in the east lately. We haven't had any calls to assist any agencies yet.

Serious question though, is there a reason you guys are using such small cats out there? I usually take one of my D8s to fires. I'd be scared to take a smaller dozer. But, it's not rare for me (or one of my employees) to be the only iron on scene for quite a while.

Small cats are narrow cats. They fit into smaller spaces, and can fit on transporter trucks smaller than lowboys. Faster turnaround, lower ecological impact. Keeps the hippies happier.

Makes sense. I usually just thrown an oversize load sign and some amber flashers on the lowboy, tilt the angle blade as far as it'll go and people just seem to get the hell out of the way:D

But **** man, I even used D7/8s on the Ft. Mac fire this spring. There's a level of speed a 5 or 6 just can't match in comparison to the heavier machine with more horsepower.

Also I had a Gradall push over a burning tree the other day; have to remember that I can do that. It's not in the book.

It's not, and the Gradall style machines are probably nice to have... They're pretty mobile in comparison to the big tracked machines. But I'm always good with a piece of the big yellow stuff make my day easier... Ha

Serious question though, is there a reason you guys are using such small cats out there? I usually take one of my D8s to fires. I'd be scared to take a smaller dozer. But, it's not rare for me (or one of my employees) to be the only iron on scene for quite a while.

4-5-6's up north. Easier to get in and out , and move quickly.
Pvt contractors a lot of 7-8's

Pair up 4-5's with 6-7's for agility and strait push

LaCo 8-9-10's
bcd73fad5b9c60e5b59595dfbfbd1180.jpg

Makes sense. I usually just thrown an oversize load sign and some amber flashers on the lowboy, tilt the angle blade as far as it'll go and people just seem to get the hell out of the way:D

But **** man, I even used D7/8s on the Ft. Mac fire this spring. There's a level of speed a 5 or 6 just can't match in comparison to the heavier machine with more horsepower.

Parts of the Plumas, Klamath and Six Rivers Forests they dangle winch the cats over the edge .
Had killer photos , but on Broken phone

Back