Fire

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stoopid question time...

IF, and I mean IF... a guy where to hook up a hose and adapta-kit to a hydrant and "test" his "new" equipment, how much, if any, trouble would he be in?

Secondly, if a fire where to break out near his house, and he where to use said new equipment on said fire, how much trouble would he be en then...

Granted I'm aware that if I where to start putting fires out in the neighbor hood, it would look an awful lot like maybe I wanted really bad to put out a fire so that I arranged for one to be started, but I'm not that crazy, I'm just really paranoid about fire...

Ideally I'll have the skid mount fire tank on hand here at the house for July 1-15th, and using the handy hydrant across the street won't be necessary. but if it where?

Before ya all freak out about fire hose and pressure and what not, I have had some very basic but professional instruction, on how to use a hydrant and hose, its not rocket science, its just high pressure water... nearly rocket science... and yes I would totally call 911 first, and it would be purely a control and damage prevention strategy... one moron and one hose does not extinguish a house fire, but it might keep it from spreading long enough for the cavalry to ride in.

I ask because I've heard all sorts of misinformation, not from any reliable sources, also I assume all risks if I'm dumb enough to try this. And no this isn't about stealing water... its a ****ing rain forest there is plenty of water, and the well hasn't gone dry ever... so no worries there.

In all the districts I've ever worked in a position where I had to give a **** about them, and all the ones I've installed and worked on over my time in the two trades, it is not legal for any private entity other than contracted fire crews to use fire hydrants. The penalty if caught by someone who cared was a warning, then $500 fine for the second offense, followed by larger fines, and they can be given out by the acting company commander of a single resource (engine boss, truck Lt./Captain.) It is not a felony in my area. It's not like we have our engine crews out patrolling either. It's pretty rare to see it heavily enforced unless there's a severe drought. I'll usually just ask people to stop. And most of the time people do.

Something else to consider is if the hydrant is private instead of public. You can get charged with theft on a private hydrant. And there's usually nothing to differentiate public and private hydrants.

However... If you're putting out a fire with your rig supplied by water from a public hydrant, chances are it'll get labelled good samaritan and no one will care. You may get a bill if you use a private hydrant.

One last thing about house fires... Chances are, one untrained man with a skid unit and no proper PPE with modern construction and fire loads is looking to killed by any multitude of ways in a hurry. There's a technique called SLICE-RS (a structural tactic developed for 3 man engine crews on buildings <1500 square feet per floor max 3 floors) that I suggest looking into if you're dead set on trying yourself, but just please don't. Just wait.

In all the districts I've ever worked in a position where I had to give a **** about them, and all the ones I've installed and worked on over my time in the two trades, it is not legal for any private entity other than contracted fire crews to use fire hydrants. The penalty if caught by someone who cared was a warning, then $500 fine for the second offense, followed by larger fines, and they can be given out by the acting company commander of a single resource (engine boss, truck Lt./Captain.) It is not a felony in my area. It's not like we have our engine crews out patrolling either. It's pretty rare to see it heavily enforced unless there's a severe drought. I'll usually just ask people to stop. And most of the time people do.

Something else to consider is if the hydrant is private instead of public. You can get charged with theft on a private hydrant. And there's usually nothing to differentiate public and private hydrants.

However... If you're putting out a fire with your rig supplied by water from a public hydrant, chances are it'll get labelled good samaritan and no one will care. You may get a bill if you use a private hydrant.

One last thing about house fires... Chances are, one untrained man with a skid unit and no proper PPE with modern construction and fire loads is looking to killed by any multitude of ways in a hurry. There's a technique called SLICE-RS (a structural tactic developed for 3 man engine crews on buildings <1500 square feet per floor max 3 floors) that I suggest looking into if you're dead set on trying yourself, but just please don't. Just wait.

What little training I have had, was mostly the only mess with small fires, and only if help was a long ways away, stay up wind if possible, and don't be a hero and go in to a burning structure, I'm not a fire fighter and don't pretend to be, though I've considered volunteering, or getting wildland certs, I don't have the spare time to make it work.

Mostly what my skid mount is going to be for is hanging out on logging sites and hoping I don't have to use it. Things have been very dry the last few years. And with luck I'll have it ready before fire works season starts, people in this neighbor hood haven't got a clue what kind of mess they would be in, so they just buy truck loads of aerial stuff, morters, rockets, roman candles, then get super drunk and let the children go nuts. Which don't get me wrong I like a good explosion, but when it hasn't rained in 40 days...

Though I really can't stop thinking about testing... and I know I should stop...

I'm with Bob though, if there is a fire and I can do something about it, and not get killed, there going to have a Hel of a time stopping me. Just in my nature.

I got nuked by poison-oak bossing a dozer on a fire a few days ago; if you have me on FB you've already seen the pics. Not the best start to a fire season, but there is a change that I'm excited about: the Overhead who slowed things where I work just retired. Things are looking up!

We've got another one here in the southern Sierra Nevada called the Chimney fire

It went from this big....
jordan_peak_3-1539.jpg

To this big in two hours.
jordan_peak_3-1759.jpg

Today the fire is pretty calm, calfire and the fed aircraft got an early start today and they had some very well placed drops that took the heat out of the head before nightfall yesterday. Ground crews also have made good progress considering how rough the area is.

I'll make a prediction to my detriment: Just drove across the Idaho panhandle, and if anything is going to explode it's right around Kellogg. The amount of fresh beetle kill there is shocking. It won't take much...

I'll make a prediction to my detriment: Just drove across the Idaho panhandle, and if anything is going to explode it's right around Kellogg. The amount of fresh beetle kill there is shocking. It won't take much...
I was there 16 days last year, just heard there's a 50 acre one on the snake, near Givens Hot Springs.

I worked overnight in a D7R last night... And about an hour in working alone my mind wandered into things more phillsophical than needed, like how cool the internet is, and mathematically and scientifically proving/disproving the existence of god, among other things. Just B.S to stay awake.

And then I got to this: Why the hell did Cat update the D7 to their electric low drive piece of **** offering? It absolutely blows me away. They were really the perfect machine for fire use, or use in the woods in general. They have enough horsepower and weight to do everything we need to do, that a 6 can't while being nearly as nimble, but aren't as heavy and whide as an 8 where the machine has to be broken down for transport and I have to worry about the machine sinking everywhere I go that isn't a hard surface.

Oh well. I'm heading back to the black Friday. I think the guys in Alberta are just going to let the thing burn all summer and make little stabs at it now and try to put a full knock down on it in the fall and early winter when the weather is better.

Stoopid question time...

IF, and I mean IF... a guy where to hook up a hose and adapta-kit to a hydrant and "test" his "new" equipment, how much, if any, trouble would he be in?

Secondly, if a fire where to break out near his house, and he where to use said new equipment on said fire, how much trouble would he be en then...

Granted I'm aware that if I where to start putting fires out in the neighbor hood, it would look an awful lot like maybe I wanted really bad to put out a fire so that I arranged for one to be started, but I'm not that crazy, I'm just really paranoid about fire...

Ideally I'll have the skid mount fire tank on hand here at the house for July 1-15th, and using the handy hydrant across the street won't be necessary. but if it where?

Before ya all freak out about fire hose and pressure and what not, I have had some very basic but professional instruction, on how to use a hydrant and hose, its not rocket science, its just high pressure water... nearly rocket science... and yes I would totally call 911 first, and it would be purely a control and damage prevention strategy... one moron and one hose does not extinguish a house fire, but it might keep it from spreading long enough for the cavalry to ride in.

I ask because I've heard all sorts of misinformation, not from any reliable sources, also I assume all risks if I'm dumb enough to try this. And no this isn't about stealing water... its a ****ing rain forest there is plenty of water, and the well hasn't gone dry ever... so no worries there.
I vote ta hell with em and good on ya for being ready and willin to help.

We had one to the north of us in jerseydale ca that could have got big was kept to 50 acres in bettle killed timber. The Pony fire on the Klamath national forest is about 1000 acres and will probably get much bigger.
Yarnell Arizona is burning again, currently under evacuation order due to the 300 acre tenderfoot fire. I would like when people started calling hotshots elite firefighters?
The fire in jerseydale was the 4 in a week in that area all escaped residential burns, people need to stop burning when the f_€£ing grass is dry, this has 20 times in the last month and had on the property behind our cabin at the mouth of the drainage that runs up the west side of our 20 acres. A 70 foot deep drainage full of dead and down trees is like a huge flame thrower waiting to be lit luckily we have a huge 400 ft fire clearance on that side and over 100 ft on the rest with lot of fire breaks.

http://hotlist.wildlandfire.com/threads/52767-CA-KRN-CND-Erskine?p=209456#post209456

This is a very serious incident going on right now 1500 homes evacuated with immediate life threat because people can't get out of the area fast enough. The fire moved 15 miles in two hours and is not slowing down. Well over 3,000 acres since 4pm.

http://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/18618/web

http://rockyags.cr.usgs.gov/cgi-bin...e=160602&camera=breckenridge_3&lastFrame=true

http://rockyags.cr.usgs.gov/cgi-bin/camHist_movie.pl?date=160602&camera=tobias_peak_1&lastFrame=true

Latest posts

Back