Fire

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For those out there who want to see what a fuelbed of mastication burns like take a look at the pics of the Carstens Fire during the backfire operation. I am the district fuels officer so I wanted to see how this stuff burns during a wildfire condition and wow this stuff is something fierce. Not like we did not expect it to burn hot though just when you actually see it in action it is pretty eye opening. View attachment 301764View attachment 301765View attachment 301766View attachment 301767View attachment 301768

What month did the masticator work this area?

Masticated fuels are a heck of a thing. We tried burning a masticated unit in 05 and it was dubbed prescribed suppression. The test fire went ok ( I was on a hand crew, so we were just lighting) and then the first strips went big. We caught it at 10 acres.

There are a few people up at MTDC and CSU trying to work up new fuel models and runs for masticated fuels. The ERC on the fuels doesn't really match up with much that is out there in normal documentation.

They sure are fun to light though.

Might as well photo dump, here's a couple more from High Park last year. First one is the blow up that eventually killed Glacier View subdivision, sorry for gooning the picture up. :rolleyes2: Next is a night burn. Then the pleasures of night shift: Yeah we got to sleep inside, but it was so hot in the CSU dorms that my phone was sweating.

View attachment 301864View attachment 301865View attachment 301866

What month did the masticator work this area?

Hey Dogs this area was masticated with a FECON head in the winter of 2011. The age did not matter though with the fire's first run cranked over a unit that was masticated in 2002. We are currently in the 95th percentile ERC levels right now for fire danger so this fuelbed will be extremely vulnerable during the critical mid to late summer months of August and Sept.

I was working around my house yesterday and I knew it was humid so I spun my psychrometer. Wet bulb 66 degrees, dry bulb 65 degrees, dew point 65 degrees. The air looked like non-fat milk. I hope to dries out.

Since you went to the trouble to get your popcorn out I'll post a couple pictures. No close up fire shots (no time for cell phone), but here's some sittin' around shots. Basically, DC-10s lay down a lot of slurry and Chinook pilots like to blow stuff around with downdraft.

View attachment 301860View attachment 301861View attachment 301862View attachment 301863

I guess by popcorn i ment ready and waiting.... will try to post pisc of type 6 firetruck later this evening. Some have been dispatched already. We are at the bottom of the list,to get resourced that is.

Latest posts

Back