FIREWOOD..50cc,60cc,70cc???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everyone is different but I used a 50cc Echo for three years and got buy ok. If I could only get one saw it would be 60cc. I don't think you can have enough saws, tractors, guns, banjos or guitars. Buy the best you can afford at the time.

v/r

Mike

Everyone is different but I used a 50cc Echo for three years and got buy ok. If I could only get one saw it would be 60cc. I don't think you can have enough saws, tractors, guns, banjos or guitars. Buy the best you can afford at the time.

v/r

Mike

x2 on the banjos and guitars:rock::rock:

"What saw do I need?" can only be answered by "What are you cutting down (up)?"

I ran a 16" bar on a 55 cc saw for a long time. I could take a 30" tree down with that. But where I live, that's unusual. Nobody goes into the woods to cut down a 20" pine with a 90cc saw because it's totally unnecessary.

So I guess my answer is, get a good 50cc saw and it will do a lot of wood for you with an 18" bar on it. But it totally depends on what you are chopping.

50cc, 70cc, and 90cc for me too.

I know everyone has their own likes and opinions, But for me the only place I see a need for a 60cc saw is if its the biggest saw you need to do the work. JMO though. Im sure 40,60,and 80cc work just as well as 50,70, and 90. Thats just what I chose :laugh:.

I do have 2 local guys I ported 60cc saws for, They absolutely love them. They both told me they were light enough to use all day everyday, and big enough to handle all their firewood cutting needs. They both run a 20'' bars and both of them have one smaller top handle saw,,,,,and thats it! Guys cut a lot of wood too.....

I ran my 029 super for 10 years, then this summer, got a ms441. The 029 stays in the trailer most of the day now. The 70cc may be heavier, but it rips through that ash a LOT faster:bowdown:

Ms 460,461

Just get a MS460 or even better the MS461 with a 25-28" bar! You won't quit smiling after you do!!!!! I guarantee it!!

I pretty much use 70cc all the time. Ported you will need to change your undies. Will run up to 28" bar very easily, and I still use it for limbing, just like a light sabre going through limbs. Go with what you can get good support local. Though I highly recommend Husky.

+1 on the 460 with 28" lightweight bar. I used to run an 066 with a 24" bar but the 460 does everything it would do, and just as fast plus it's easier on me.

With a 28" bar I find I save my back by not bending over near as much.

I also run a 372 with a 28" light bar and an 044 with a 20" bar

I only use my 200t, 346NE, and 026 for limbing and under 8" stuff. The 70cc saws are so much faster that even though they are heavier, you spend 1/3 of the time cutting. And I really don't want to chew on wood any longer than I need to.

I have much bigger saws and bars if needed for breaking down the monsters.

When I am cutting with my brother, we use them all! I spend most of my time with my my 260, and he uses his 362-but we will break out his 460 for the bigger stuff over 18" or so. i give my Husky 66 a little work now and then-and for nostalgia and fun, we break out our late father's Pro Mac 850 once in a while.
Will

MS361 with 18' bar is all the saw a person needs to produce cords and cords of firewood...light weight, lots of performance and smooth as all get out...:rock:

Keep going back to the 026 - 18" bar and the 441 - 24/25" bar.

Had a kindly southern fella give me a bit of help with some soup'n up of one of the little 026 saws. I'm guess'n it'll see a lot more duty in the coming years.

If I'm trying to make time to get things done; 20" bar on a 70+ cc saw is a haymaker.

My two go-to's are my 038 Super (67cc) 24" and my Jonsered 2054 (54cc) 18". If I cant cut it with either of those, I come back the next day with my 372xp (72cc) 24" and my son limbs with my 011av. I've never had a problem filling my truck and trailer or tractor with any of those.. :biggrin:

Just get a MS460 or even better the MS461 with a 25-28" bar! You won't quit smiling after you do!!!!! I guarantee it!!

I think even the saw has a smile on it:

attachment.php

View attachment 256555

Latest posts

Back