FIREWOOD..50cc,60cc,70cc???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's my new 3 saw = 5 saws plan

MS 260 with 20" .325 chain will handle most of my fire wood
MS 361 with 28" light bar and full skip chain for 3-4' logs
That's for easy on the back, light saws

For faster cutting and heavier weight;
MS 260 with 18" bar
MS 361 with 20" bar
MS 461 with 28" light bar
Full compliment chain for these

I could easily accomplish everything I need to accomplish with a stout 70-80cc saw and a light 50cc saw. Cellphone pics from earlier today, 7900/28" 3/8" full comp, 346NE 16" 3/8":

photo3-2Medium.jpg

photo-2Medium.jpg

husqvarna 365sp. i swear best firewood saw i know of. i'm used to carrying around a bigger saw so the 365 feels like a toy to me. i like the 60cc class for firewood cutting for 2 reasons. one the 50cc class are just dinky toys and i always feel ripped off of power when using them. of coarse thats not the case for all but when yer used to a bigger saw it's hard to downgrade. although i used a buddies 353 that did quiet well but still prefer the 365. i know the second reason is stupid but my 372 likes gas more then my 365. sure they are just saws and they burn nothing to begin with but i like to be able to fill the truck with wood on one tank of gas. the 372 needs a fill up in between. only reason i own a 365 is mine was free. i would have never bought one before because i already had a 372. now that i have a 365 i would most likely go buy another if mine bit the dust.

MS 250 and MS 261 cut alot of firewood for me (my two brothers; couple friends and Aunt) this year ;)

I really cant go below a 361/2. anything else is the equivalent of standing in front of the microwave saying hurry up.
Bigger better more
I would rather be overpowered in small wood than underpowered in big wood

Last edited:
Makita DCS6401 20" and Stihl 046 28" bar. When I make a run up the mountain for wood I take the truck and a 14foot trailer. i can cut and load, and be on the road by 1:30pm. That would never happen with a 50cc saw. Up until a few weeks ago I didn't have a light 50cc saw. Then I had to reduce a tree I have due to borers and quickly saw the need for a light limbing saw again. Now I have an 026 on the bench that needs a good used OEM top end but none available that look good to me even on ebay. So I'll have to wait and watch. :bang:

Well-tuned, stock ms 260 Pro 16" bar & really sharp chain for everything w/ms 210c as backup. Average tree dia.: 10-18" on 10 wooded acres. Dealer recommended the smallest pro saw that would get the job done and just get through the larger stuff as it comes along. Above 24" dia. is a chore, though. I touch up the chain w/ every tank refill and like not having to deal with a bigger chain. I'm 5'-9", 160 lbs, 63 years old so saw weight and age are issues, but I can run the 260 all day when I need to. I feel this is an efficient and satisfying setup for me. Anyway, the felling, limbing and bucking work is pretty easy and takes a fraction of the time compared to hauling, splitting and stacking the wood.

But, I go to sleep every night thinking about how much better it would be with a 60-70cc saw. :msp_smile: ms 362, ms 441c, or 562xp would be sooo nice. My 2 neighbors have 100 acres of land between them and we're working on a deal where I cut the wood, they split it and we divide the firewood equitably. If this comes to pass, there are Stihl and Husqvarna factory-trained dealers within 1 mile of where I live, so I got great choices. Checked out the 562 and my wallet almost jumped onto the checkout counter on its own... Stihl dealer has been great, though, and has performed a number of adjustments on my saws at no charge.

Last edited:
Before I ate it with the Bush Hog, my 359 with an18" was really nice for firewood. 385 with an 18" and an 8 pin was lightning, but the low back would get balky after a while

husqvarna 365sp. i swear best firewood saw i know of. i'm used to carrying around a bigger saw so the 365 feels like a toy to me. i like the 60cc class for firewood cutting for 2 reasons. one the 50cc class are just dinky toys and i always feel ripped off of power when using them. of coarse thats not the case for all but when yer used to a bigger saw it's hard to downgrade. although i used a buddies 353 that did quiet well but still prefer the 365. i know the second reason is stupid but my 372 likes gas more then my 365. sure they are just saws and they burn nothing to begin with but i like to be able to fill the truck with wood on one tank of gas. the 372 needs a fill up in between. only reason i own a 365 is mine was free. i would have never bought one before because i already had a 372. now that i have a 365 i would most likely go buy another if mine bit the dust.

I like a 60 for a one saw plan as well, have a 365 , its very nice, will do small stuff or tackle larger wood.

But...I usually go out with like a four saw plan....30 something to 80 to 90, I take it all, big and small. Half my stacks require no splitting. And I like saw trigger time, so like running small saws just as much.

But, one saw..around a 60

Never really needed more than my 346xp. However I just purchased a 562xp and HOLY ****! I think the 562xp brings the ONE SAW concept to a whole new level!!

Sometimes it takes 5+cube to whittle down the small rounds to keep the maul from bouncing.

[video=youtube;CZs6wB4eOxs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZs6wB4eOxs[/video]

While some folks are touting no need for biggger , over 70 cc saws, your right, you don't need too. It is my preference, or WANT to run bigger saws. :msp_biggrin: bigger saws are heavier, right, bigger better more

50 cc and 60cc saws fix me just fine. a 70cc is sometimes needed, but not much.

I cut hundreds of cord a year. 80cc is never needed for the woods, unless you're on a TV loggers show.

It's hard to beat the ole 50cc and 70cc combo for cutting firewood IMO. No matter which brands you go with, a good 50cc and 70cc will cut most of what needs to be cut in a firewood operation. I use a Stihl 260 and either my 372xpw, 441CM or Dolly 7900.

Yea, I have 3 70cc saws. :D I have a little CAD and I rarely use my 260 since I mostly fall trees now and hardly ever cut them up or limb them. I only cut firewood on the side for my parents. I do enjoy cutting firewood. A 60cc saw could do a firewood guy good, but a 70cc and 50cc combo covers alot more ground.

For just falling timber of average size, a good ported 70cc saw is hard to beat. It's plenty light enough to carry all day and has plenty of power in the cut. I hav'ent ran into a tree in a long time that I could'nt cut with a ported 70cc saw and a 28" bar.

I use a husky 365sp for the small logs,a sachs dolmar 166 mostly .The 365sp is a great saw,I will buy another one when this one dies.The 166 is a giant killer,I love it.We have big timber up here so this is the prefered saw, I sold my 066 magnum because it just wasnt big enough for the big stuff, although it was a useful firewood saw:chainsawguy::cheers:

50cc, mainly for my back. 70cc, for falling. A 90cc for stumping and the occasional BIG stick.

I've got 40, Ported 60 and autotune 70.

The 576at gets the most use :msp_biggrin: but then I cut big stuff as a rule now. Interesting to use the 576 with 24" on small branches :msp_sleep:

Back