firewood processer advice on building one

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buzz

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi Everyone looking for pro and cons on your processers. Starting to put together ideas like I think hydraulic chainsaw driven bar what size motor? I what a machine that can handle at least 20 inches in diameter. This is just a few ?? I hope for Ideas from you guys. I looked but in NY I can find any to rent or try out to get and feel for what opions to build. thanks

Most wood processors I have seen have log cap. of 12" to 16" dia..I believe the reason for staying with the smaller dia. is that when the size increases the cost jumps drastically. Machines with 12" cap. use 3 1/2" or 4" cylinders, 16" cap. machines will use a 4" or 5" cylinder, a 20" cap. machine will probably require a 6" bore cylinder.

Every time the cylinder size increases the pump-engine combo, the saw size, and structural stiffness must increase driving up cost to a point where it is not cost effective.

I lack first hand knowledge but I heard that circular saws are more durable and require less maintenance than chain saws.

Bailey.net can probably help with the hyd, motor size. After some research on the subject, I devised a plan to use an ratary harvester saw to slice peices. The teeth are superduty tough. and powered also by a hydralic motor. This in combination with an adjustable 4 and six way blade. I'm sure you know the he@@ashous cost of this project would be. Here's a tip. To build yourself a cheaper platform for the logs(to be processed) find an old grain truck bed, remove the sides, mount it up about two steps above the op. platform. Then you can fab up a simple two stair to the platform from the op plat. you can then step up walk around and roll the logs down onto the conveyer by hand easily by using a cant tool. It would help keep the hydro cost, chain cost,and over all complication down. I suppose it could also be made out of a haywagon bed also, if using wood was your passion. Could be even cheaper. Processors are cool, I just never got into that straight of wood or the machine to move it.

Buzz, my advise would be to check out what all the manufactured ones are using - They've "been there & done that" until they get a [hopefully] good working unit. Try to get specs on engine hp, pump sizes, cyl. sizes, etc. Mistakes & re-builds with hydraulic parts is really $$$$$$$$$.

wood processors

Ive been studying wood processors for about three years now, and I think the best, most cost effecent one out there is the Built Rite, The model 24 scp is a real machine, but needs a biger engine, I called every manufacture co I could find, and ordered there free demo tape, Ive spent hours studying their tapes, the one thing that I really like about the Built Rite is the unique wedge dezign, the best in the bissness, In my opinion, The cord master uses a 60 in circular carbide blade, with replacable teeth, It dont get any better than that, as chain maintence is an issue for sure, I dont do enough wood to warrent the extra cost of building a circular saw machine It wood probably ad about $10.000 more, Do a search on wood processors and order tapes from every manufacture you can find, Warning|| they will make you druel, TIP, eat lots of popcorn and no will notice, LOLOLOL T,C, E,J,

thanks guys for your ideas. I have a farm show coming up in a month.A see timberwolf and few other companies are going to be their.I going to go check them out.

Show time

thanks guys for your ideas. I have a farm show coming up in a month.A see timberwolf and few other companies are going to be their.I going to go check them out.

If timber wolf is going to be there, with a full sized booth, or not, check every booth, there will probably be others there, that will gladly hand you imfo on bars, chains , maybe even saw moters/hyd, and take a digital camera, get every piece of littature you can,.saves time when your (borrowing) ideas ,..T,C, E,J,

hydralic shear like the chomper IMO is the only way to design a new system...

I have a unit that can take 14" diamter logs...I would love to build a larger unit that can take 20"+ logs...

the design is bullet proof it just has to be upscaled...

Buzz, see if there are any reps from Rainer Hydrulics at the show. They make the Chomper processors. Very unique machine that uses a guilotine style tempered steel blade too shear and ram the piece through an adjustable splitter wedge. No wood chips from the shearing process and they claim the wood seasons faster than sawn wood. Worth a look. There's a few guys here that have them also. Redprospector, AdamH, have them and maybe cmetalbend too? Really nice proecessor.:cheers:

processer in the making

this is going to be a very low budget processer
DSCF0004.jpg

hydralic shear like the chomper IMO is the only way to design a new system...

I have a unit that can take 14" diamter logs...I would love to build a larger unit that can take 20"+ logs...

the design is bullet proof it just has to be upscaled...

I have the super 16PDA with the 125hp john deer Diesel and if it had a larger sheer blade no-one could ever touch the machine.16'"is still a big log as far as firewood goes. aprox 4 cord per hr not bad , It Eats Wood!

Back