Firewood saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I skunked you

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Looking at either stihl 261-cm or 362-cm this will be a one and done saw. Was going to look at an updated husky 562xp but dealer didn't recommend as he had 5 of them blown up in his shop. This is just a firewood saw and trail clearing saw. Any opinions. Would like to stick to pro grade saws.

i wouldn't pay those prices new, they're approximately $1,500 a piece here
but if you must buy new .. you might as well pay a little extra for the 362

Always amazed that trail clearing done by hobbyfirewood guys require the ultimate of pro saws. For me a Husqvarna 545 or 555 or Stihl 251 or 271 would be more than sufficient. And I am quite sure that I would only be at max. a few minutesb ehind at the end of the day.

Always amazed that trail clearing done by hobbyfirewood guys require the ultimate of pro saws. For me a Husqvarna 545 or 555 or Stihl 251 or 271 would be more than sufficient. And I am quite sure that I would only be at max. a few minutesb ehind at the end of the day.

You make a valid point but I find people often want to buy something once and not have to worry about it. Quite often I have someone come in and tell me they have a large property and want to do some clean up, maintain their hiking/riding trails and cut up the odd fallen tree. I suggest the MS 271 or the MS 261 and they always ask whats the difference. MS 271 is a great firewood saw, a little bit heavier mid grade saw. MS 261 pro saw, best saw in its class, number 1 choice of the pros . They then ask if we take AMEX. :D

OP there is also the MS 241 great saw in its own right.

You guys both have good points.

There are some really good HO saws that many forum users overlook because of the stigma of owning a lowly HO saw that is projected by some folks around here (many of which cut very little wood themselves lol). Not every HO saw is an overweight, underpowered cinder block.

At the same point, spending an extra 200 bucks to get the pro model and then planning to use it for the next 20-30 years also has merit.

My vote is for the 261. For an all around one saw does everything it will be better than the 362. You won't have quite as much capacity but you won't need it. You can choose the size tree you drop based on the saws capability. If the need for a larger saw should arise you can always add a 70cc to compliment the 50cc 261.

I see a lot of recommendations for 261 and not very many for 362 . Seems like a 362 would have extra power when needed. I guess the 261 seems like the best for limbing. I not going to be able to afford 2 saws. Was hoping for something more concrete on the 362. Maybe the the 362 is going away as stihl doesn't list it as one of their lineups this year.

Also if this makes any difference I have 160 acres and
75% is woods about 45 year growth timber. Lot of red and white oak,hickory and poplar. Of course I have poplar with trunks as large or larger than the hood of my full size ram truck.

Absolutely correct guys, what I see is that most overlook that these ho saws will easily last 20 years in a homeowner/firewood setting.

I always think the 55 fit this bill perfectly, good quality affordable homeowner saw with decent power. Still a good number of them still going strong around here.

Hey Skunk. Why did you sell your almost new 562? I'm guessing running issues. It's probably time to switch to Stihl.

Hey Skunk. Why did you sell your almost new 562? I'm guessing running issues. It's probably time to switch to Stihl.
No running issues at all, I was just selling it to get a newer 562xp that had all the bugs worked out of it. Went in to buy one and the dealer said they still had problems and had 5 in the service department now that had blown up. They said their not stocking no more autotune saws. They also said if it is carberator problem they have to replace ignition module and electronics. They had their last 562 on the shelf and said I could have it for 500.00

Back