Firewood saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started with a 30 year old stihl 041, 72'-73' model. I gave $200 for it and paid for pretty quick. It took care of anything I ran across Im just sayin I got respect for the old saws. my newist is an 036. I think a good 45-55cc saw will do the job for most wood burners. The only reason stuck with the stihls is because it was the first thing I bought and ran. Kinda like I like chevys and toyotas. I never drove anything else and I probably wont. Think about it if somebody can make a living selling and servicing all these different saws the must be good enough.:cheers:

If the size and type saw for firewood is still in question read Spike 60's thread #32 agin. If That doesn't work go to you Family Doctor and have him check you testrosterone. Use the following as a guide line---- Low end of testrosterone scale = 45/50cc saw, Hi end=60cc and above. When you don't have much to spend buy yourself an Echo.

Kurf

Actually I bought my 385XP because I could afford it. (no children yet)I wanted something bigger then my 55 rancher for what I cut, about 70+ cord a year.20 of it is for myself, 50 + for my parents.At $45-50 a cord.I figured it will pay itself off in one season.Now if my back will just hold up. What it really comes down to, is buy the best saw you can afford.If you don't need something so big than don't get it.I know people who only use the old WILD THING,and they are happy.Use it for 2 or 3 years buy another one and they are still ahead on cost

about 70+ cord a year.20 of it is for myself, 50 + for my parents

What on earth are your parents burning in? Or are they heating 10 houses? That's like 237 cubic yards of wood, or like 20 full concrete truck loads! A pile 8 feet high, 8 feet deep and 100 feet long, that's a lotta wood man.

What on earth are your parents burning in? Or are they heating 10 houses? That's like 237 cubic yards of wood, or like 20 full concrete truck loads! A pile 8 feet high, 8 feet deep and 100 feet long, that's a lotta wood man.

When I say cord i mean face cord they heat a 3500 sq ft home with a 21 ft cathedral ceiling about 20 miles from the canadian boarder.gets cold up here.they use a OWB.actually they go thru closer to 60 face cord.and they are in their 60's...My Dad says it keeps my mom young getting all of the exercise:jawdrop:

Last edited:
When I say cord i mean face cord they heat a 3500 sq ft home with a 21 ft cathedral ceiling about 20 miles from the canadian boarder.gets cold up here.they use a OWB.actually they go thru closer to 60 face cord.and they are in their 60's...My Dad says it keeps my mom young getting all of the exercise:jawdrop:

About what I was guessing when I read that - face cords, so it translates to more like 15-20 real cords, of which at least five is totally wasted by sending it up the stack of an OWB. Glad I don't live downwind. (a gasifier boiler like a Tarm or an EKO will typically burn 30% less wood than a "highly efficient" design OWB that is properly operated...)

Gooserider

About what I was guessing when I read that - face cords, so it translates to more like 15-20 real cords, of which at least five is totally wasted by sending it up the stack of an OWB. Glad I don't live downwind. (a gasifier boiler like a Tarm or an EKO will typically burn 30% less wood than a "highly efficient" design OWB that is properly operated...)

Gooserider

I'm glad YOU don't live down wind too:chainsaw:

I thought 10 cords was a lot. Well, it is a lot if you cut with a 141 like I used to! I'm constantly amazed at the amount of wood my uncle cuts for his OWB, probably 3 times what I burn, and his house is about 120 years newer than mine and much better insulated. Tried to explain to him that even a 20% efficiency increase means much less wood to haul, but he's still in "OWB denial".

I would rather go through more cords of wood and have a house left. Too many chimney fires with inside units.

I would rather go through more cords of wood and have a house left. Too many chimney fires with inside units.

Only because of improper installation and/or operation. Creosote doesn't just "magically" form, you have to provide the proper conditions, i.e. cold outside unlined masonry flue, wet/green wood, smoldering fire, etc. And personally, I've never seen a chimney fire in a properly installed, maintained and operated stove, period. And that's being a firefighter for 20+ years and working at 911.

Firewood Saw

Hopefully I don't alienate everyone from the start but sometimes it is best to cast your personal brand preference aside and just recommend a certain class of saw. The best saw for getting firewood is one that runs. There are too many other factors such as: how much? how big? what species? ect, ect, ect of wood are you going to be cutting.

At first, I only cut my own firewood. A 55 was enough. I had to pay for chains, fuel wood etc. After that I cut some more, to get the money back, and burn wood with profit, I needed a 70 cc at least. Now, i cut enough wood to fire up half the village, and needed a bigfoot. At the end, I still heat my home for free, the other wood pays my saws and other costs, and have money left to buy more trees.
Before getting a saw, find out where you gonna end up. now i have a nice sawline, but sold a few to get there.

:chainsaw:
GET the right saw(line) matched to your future needs!!!!
(and know your wants to get your needs!)
:chainsaw:

Well I'd second the earlier comments about the lack of chimney fires in properly maintained inside units, either stoves or boilers. But I would also point out that there are also high efficiency gasification boilers out there that are designed as outdoor units, not to mention the many folks that put some of the "indoor design" units in a shed or detached outbuilding and run them the same way that an OWB would be, except burning a lot less wood and making a lot less pollution...

Gooserider

One of my favorite firewood saws, Husky PP357XP

p1010034jd0.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Do you use it? Or take pictures of it?

Latest posts

Back