Firewood theives getting to close

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stihly dan

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
On the news tonight there have been more firewood stealing cases, this one only 1 1/2 miles away. They took a cord in the middle of the day on a main street. A little ways down they took 7 cord during the night. Police believe its the same people that where stealing a town over. They also think it's for resale not a freezing homeowner. This is a little to close for comfort.

Scum bags stealing wood. You would think that fire wood is too much like work for lazy thieves. But right now I bet you could get 300.00 a cord for dry hardwood.

Scum bags stealing wood. You would think that fire wood is too much like work for lazy thieves. But right now I bet you could get 300.00 a cord for dry hardwood.

Wow, the situation up north is a lot different from here in TN. I regularly see cords advertised on Craigslist here for $100. I'll be selling wood next winter, but don't expect to make much, if anything, doing it. I'm clearing land and getting rid of the byproducts by converting unwanted trees to firewood. Otherwise, I'll have to spend money and time hauling tree trunks off to the dump (where I get charged fees) or chipping them. I hate seeing wood being wasted so that's my plan right now. By the end of the year, I hope to be in top notch physical condition, ready to take on anything or anybody, including firewood thieves.

On the news tonight there have been more firewood stealing cases, this one only 1 1/2 miles away. They took a cord in the middle of the day on a main street. A little ways down they took 7 cord during the night. Police believe its the same people that where stealing a town over. They also think it's for resale not a freezing homeowner. This is a little to close for comfort.
Interesting how you've managed to post pics to a heat pump thread, but are unable to post pics to your threads on your new husky and the big ash.

I call hooey. :popcorn: You're about to join a select few in the Iggy (ignore) list. Chow.

7 cords is a heckuva lot of wood to steal! Did they bring a semi?! Back in '08 when the economy took a dump and there were a lot less free handouts(then!), I was really worried about my woodstacks being raided by thieves. My older brother had a good comment that did put my mind at ease:
"They're too lazy to feed a woodburner, and besides they'll steal the change out of your car first for more drug money."

The ironic part is that his truck was stolen a year or so later(yep he left the keys in it), after they went through his house and took only money and left guns,jewelry, etc.!!!

It has been a hard winter though and the fuel prices are high too. Maybe the druggies are getting smarter. Or more desperate. Sad.

Due to our bleeding heart liberals any thing you do proactive wise puts your tail in the ringer so a bunch of trail cams( well hidden) some high some low( low ones to try and pick plate numbers) are your best resource. The leo's around here won't do squat unless I can hand them a silver platter of info. Weather warming up now so the stealing cycle will be on the up swing. I the past I have set up bait stacks well covered by cams for these type of problems.

You know how roaches scurry when lights come one?

I would flood light your firewood area up like the 4th of july and install those driveway dingers. Maybe some trip flares for that special touch.

I agree with the flood light. Hook a few 10 million candle power helicopter search lights and a few train horns to a motion sensor, that should take care of the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes I did forget. You can also install a siren onto the floodlight waterproof mounting box, that is activated at the same time as the light. Might not make the neighbors too happy but it has proven to be quite effective.

I installed this same thing on our property 40 miles north of us. We have a pole barn up there with a camper, boat and a few ATV's up there. I installed a motion sensor light and horn "inside" the pole barn. I have it set on "Test" so it will only go off for 5 min and then resets. Between that and the cameras, it sure keeps pople honest.

Motion sensor floodlights are very effective, and quite the shock factor when blinding light suddenly floods the whole area.

Back