First 372xp Muffler Mod

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt J Leppek

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Was running my 372 and noticed it was over revving and idling hard. Shut it off and scratched my head for a couple minutes, and noticed the muffler was loose. 2 screws fell right out, and the only thing holding it in place was the bottom screws.

So while the muffler is off, I figured it would be a good time to tackle a muffler mod. Checked out some of the threads on here and got to work with a tungsten dremel bit.
image.jpg
After a bit of cutting with the tungsten bit, things get jagged and it starts catching, so I took a small sanding bit and cleaned the edges up, and switched back to the tungsten cutter.
image.jpg
Here is where I stopped. That doesn't look like to much does it? I couldn't find a pair of calipers so I estimated.

Need to run to the hardware store tomorrow and get screws to put the muffler back on. I can't wait to adjust the carb and bury the saw in some wood. :rock:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    719.2 KB · Views: 54
You may have to elongate that deflector a bit. It might melt the plastic above the muffler

You think so? I straightened it back out after I took the picture (I pried it open with a screw driver to fit the dremel in). Will the increased air flow push out of the deflector hard enough to make its way above it and into the plastic more than it did stock?

I was going to put some aluminum foil tape on the plastic above the muffler for added protection, I saw murph did that to the 346xp I bought from him a few years ago, and it has held up for 2 years with minimal wear.

I don't know for sure, but from my phone screen it looks like a plastic melter. For reference, the screw that holds in the spark arrestor fell out of my muffler, and the plastic above the screw hole melted before I realized. The protective tape sounds like a good idea.

Some test cuts after I opened up the muffler. Strange thing is I didn't have to adjust the carb at all, and it sounds about right. Maybe I need to open it up more!?

Some test cuts after I opened up the muffler. Strange thing is I didn't have to adjust the carb at all, and it sounds about right. Maybe I need to open it up more!?

Sounds good to me.

I don't know for sure, but from my phone screen it looks like a plastic melter. For reference, the screw that holds in the spark arrestor fell out of my muffler, and the plastic above the screw hole melted before I realized. The protective tape sounds like a good idea.
I tape the bottom of the top cover (above the muffler) on most of my saws. This one is a brand new cover for a 288, and I'd like to keep it nice.
image.jpg

I think any aluminum tape will work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is that a 20" bar on there? That thing is rippin.

I bought a brand new 372XP X-torq in 2012 and so far no muffler bolts loosening hope that doesn't become a trend for that saw. I run 24" bar all the time and love it.

I check all bolts quick before going out -- the A/V mount ones sometimes snug up a little... when the saw was new I had a top cover bolt come out and get lost but I think those are more common. Friend of mine w/ the same saw had 2 of the top cover bolts rattle out...

Just keep checkin 'em... If that's the biggest issue with the saw I'm a happy camper -- minor details!

Run the saw in a couple cuts then tighten the screws, they shouldn't come off. Mine only came out because I took the muffler off when I got it, and when I put it back on I didn't tighten it while warm.

Yeah, 20" bar. I rarely need to put a 28" bar on it for most trees around here. I've been thinking about getting a 16" bar for it just because :rock:

Latest posts

Back