First chainsaw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What made you choose the farm boss.

So far just reviews, I need to get out and visit some dealers yet!

You know my impatience and the want to get out and cut some wood is leading me towards an impromptu decision...

I was looking at the Husqvarna 346xp and then I read some reviews and they said it was underpowered...

there's alot of choices out there ya know...tough decision, I think next weekend I'll make a few visits around here to dealers and then buy my saw...

So far just reviews, I need to get out and visit some dealers yet!

You know my impatience and the want to get out and cut some wood is leading me towards an impromptu decision...

I was looking at the Husqvarna 346xp and then I read some reviews and they said it was underpowered...

there's alot of choices out there ya know...tough decision, I think next weekend I'll make a few visits around here to dealers and then buy my saw...

Good idea on the visits.

290 is a reliable saw and will serve you well...until you run a pro saw, and then it's disappointing. Note that there are two 346XP saws. Old = 45cc. New Edition (NE) = 50cc (silver clutch cover) I'll take a NE346XP-18" over a 290-18" every time. 290 has a much lower power-to-weight ratio than many saws in the 50-60cc region. This makes a big difference when cutting treetops and during long cutting sessions.

Last edited:
I believe you will be much happier running a 346 XP then a 290. My buddy has some Farm bosses on his farm, besides the name I don't like much more about that saw.

I'd try saws and see what you like

Pro saws will out cut the others but it really does depend on how much ya gonna use it (re cost)

I plan on using it alot, I'm hoping to try to do some cutting every weekend...

there's alot of strip jobs, gas wells, and old logging jobs around my buddies property and my parents property, I plan to get out there and cut up alot of what they knocked over and left in piles...

there's alot of strip jobs, gas wells, and old logging jobs around my buddies property and my parents property, I plan to get out there and cut up alot of what they knocked over and left in piles...

just a thought.......would a good used pro saw not be the way to go poss a 372 ......that'll cope with I'd guess anything ya throw at it. and It'll give ya the scope to drop sticks if ya want. It'll also handle whatever bar ya wanna run (ok not huge bars lol) it's also a 3/8th which in tougher timber will not grumble. It's also the same or nearly the same weight as the farm boss and it'll crap over both it and a 346 lol

only suggesting this as you seem to wanna cut lol .......there also a 357 and 365 too

Maybe you should think about getting two saw's, Every time I go out I take at least two with me, it sucks being out in the woods and pinch a saw and have to go home to get another.

I still do think you would be happy with the 450. and then save and pick up a bigger saw. IF you want a decent size saw and don't want to spend a lot have you thought about maybe a Husky Rancher 455 or 460? They are coming with auto tune these days also.

There is a Member on here that goes by nmurph and he sells rebuilt and modded 346XP at good prices and I have heard nothing but good things about his saws so that is another option.

I always think it is better to get a it more saw then you need, Not saying you should get a MS880 to limb with but a touch bigger then you need.

Last edited:
Tell Nmurph you think the 346 xp is underpowered for a 50 cc saw and your in for it.

For your needs or anyone for that matter he can put you into a 346 that will outcut a 290 and the other saws on your list, it will last longer weigh less and make you feel meaner while your cutting a 1/4 cord or 14 cords of firewood. I have a stable of saws, most of which are pro saws, but there is something about the screaming waaaaaaahhhhhhh a 346 makes while its slinging chips.

There might be better saws for cutting firewood than a 346, but nothing out there will make you happier for your $400 dollars than a Nmurphed 346 and your glasses, gloves, and maybe a set of used chaps off the bay.

Underpowered for a 50 cc saw......... Ohh that's comical the damn things have as much work in them as most 60 cc saws if not all of the ones from the big box stores.

I'm not a paypal member, I used to get into GA some, but not anymore...

That's what a bunch of the reviews I've read said about the 346, not my personal opinion...

I wasn't fussing at you, just letting you know those reviews are bogus. The 346 is arguably the best 50 cc saw ever made. I think many people agree the best when modded.
They are just so fast and so light weight and the Sideways balance Ohh! The saw thinks its a 70 cc saw it really does.

I just don't understand why husky stopped making it. At least they are still out there since they were produced in such large numbers.

no one ever mentions earmuffs, I can slit my eyes or cut with the chain aimed away from my legs but I can't saw with both fingers in my ears :)

The 346xp was discontinued because it was replaced by the 550xp, a saw with even more power and autotune. As for the 346 vs the 290, even half blown up the 346 will completely humiliate the 290. I have run both and there really is no comparison. They're not even in the same class. The 346xp is a pro saw and the 290 is the epitomy of a homeowner saw.

Now mind you, I mean no disrespect to the 290, it is very good at doing what it's designed to. However, I still think a 450 or 455 is a better choice in that class.

I have listed a stihl ms360 for $400 a few times in the Toledo ohio craigslist and I should have kept some of the replies I got..will you take $100? will you trade for a go cart? got a call from a local stump grinder that said they are common and I shouldn't be asking so much..I asked him why he called me? he hung up. a pro saw is more user friendly as far as vibration is concerned..better parts..umm I dunno..I never wore out a Stihl saw. over the road trucker..coming through I-80 turnpike anytime soon? $350 for a face to face with an AS member..case, scrench, one bottle of Stihl synthetic, and owners manual with original purchase receipt. nuff said

Rural property maintenance. Happened to me when I was a kid. You need a pro grade 50cc w 16" b&c. Limbing and fighting shrub on a regular basis is not farmboss territory.
First job, find dealer with best customer rep.
Check out dealers yourself.
See if dealer will knock something off price of kevlar chaps w saw.
Echo 450 looks good for the money.

Latest posts

Back