First chainsaw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Logan76

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy my first chain saw, I'm going to use it for small stuff around the house and to cut firewood for heating the garage and camp...

I would like to spend in the 400$ range...Think an 18" bar would be best for my needs...

any opinions and helpful hints that you guys can give someone looking to get into firewood cutting.

I've got a few saws in mind, not really particular to one or the other:

Stihl ms290 farmboss

Jonsered 2250

Echo 590 timberwold

Echo 450

Husqvarna 450

I have dealers for all 4 within 30 minutes of my house.

Both the ms290 and Husqvarna 450 have cut thousands of cord across the country and have a pretty good track record considering what they are. Have you considered a lightly used pro saw?

I have, but I've looked around craigslist and the local papers and cant find much that interests me, I drive truck over the road, so I thought that buying new from a dealer was my best option since I'm so pressed for time on my weekends.

if you paid a little more for like 570 you could get a stihl ms 261 that has more power than the others and is gonna last longer

I think a 290 would last a lifetime for what you want, if its looked after properly. Any of those saws would do what you want, buy the one you like the best.

Invest in some chaps and safety glasses. You might look goofy but they are definitely worth it. Chaps in case of kick back they will save your legs. And glasses to keep the chips out of your eyes. They can be a pain to get out of your eyes, Take it from a guy who knows.

Both the ms290 and Husqvarna 450 have cut thousands of cord across the country and have a pretty good track record considering what they are. Have you considered a lightly used pro saw?

X2 on this; these are probably going to be your best two options from your list based on the opinions/experience of the masses. For the 'normal' homeowner who isn't making a living off of his saw nor is he doing 100% of the actual house heating you won't find much performance difference between the two.

To each his own, but my vote between these two would be the MS290. Time tested, Stihl's most popular saw, and parts are easy to get and affordable.

if you paid a little more for like 570 you could get a stihl ms 261 that has more power than the others and is gonna last longer

Well, yes & no. Here's the thing; pro grade saws are built tougher and make more power for their weight, but unless you're exceedingly hard on your equipment they won't last longer. Keep a saw clean & tuned, keep the the air filter clean, and feed it a good quality appropriate fuel mix and it'll last a lifetime.

That said, I have an MS261 and it's an awesome saw to run. Necessary? No. If you want a hot rod get a pro saw. If you want to keep the budget and have a saw that will get the job done and put wood in the rack, get one of the saws on your list.

Boils down to your choice,

I'm not familiar with the Echo line, that said, Echo has a reputation for building somewhat dated but very reliable equipment.

As to the Stihl and Husky, both of the saws under consideration are manufactured, marketed directly to, and in use by thousands and thousands with an application the same as yours. Either should provide years of service if properly maintained.

The choice probably should depend on which dealer you're most comfortable with and what promotions, (ie , extended warranty, accessories, etc.) are available at time of purchase. By the way, good on you for choosing to support a local dealer and not a big box. That decision will reap additional rewards in the future.

Take Care

Well, Like has been said, I would first handle some saw's in your price range, I then would find a dealer that you like that sells the saws that you like. Good dealers are important if you ever have a issue.

I have a Husky 450 and it is my most used saw out of the saw's I have, It is lighter and seems to handle better then my Rancher and power seems on par. It doesn't have the power that my 562 XP has but once again it is lighter. My 450 starts everytime and just cuts real smooth and will cut fire wood with no problem.

If I was you though I would prob look into buying a Husky 346 XP or the new 550 XP Husky. If you are planning on having just one saw. If you may add a bigger saw down the road then go ahead and grab the 450 it will do prob everything that you will ask of it and do it well.

The 290 and the 590 would be the heaviest saws of your choices. I have a 350 which the 450 husky replaced and it has been a good saw to use around my property. I have an 18" bar on it and have cut down some 20" hardwood trees with it. I believe with the saws you have selected I would check out the different dealers and see which one you like best, and base my choice on that.

I started out with a Poulan, and quickly replaced it with a Stihl MS 290 and absolutly love it. But it's preference. I got a local Stihl shop that are great people to deal with and that's why I went with a Sthil. I was kind of turned off that you can buy a Huska from Home Depot or anywhere. Also when I bought my saw, I got an additional year of warranty for buying a six pack of synthetic oil instead of conventional, for a couple of bucks more. No brainer.

I think a ms 290 is more saw than you need for what you have described. Unless you'll be moving on to bigger wood, an ms250 or the husky 450 should be enough. I have no experience with the others, so I'll defer. I will say the likelihood of you wearing out any of these saws with your expected cutting is near zero

Any of Husky or stihl you mention will do the job for ya. As for pro saws yes they will deliver more grunt and will work all day everyday .....however for the job you require the extra cost I'd say isn't really worth it.

If your looking at more power then there is the Husky 460 rancher which will run 3/8th as opposed to .325 (just a better cut imo but I use saws for a living again)

As the guys have said and it all good advice please do invest in ppe

best of luck in your cutting and above all be safe and enjoy it

I myself got my 1st saw 2 years ago and had absolutely no experience. 20+ years as a rock climber (5.11 Trad) taught me that I am responsible when I pick up that saw and I have chosen to invest many hours learning how to safely run and maintain it. Great investment of my time.

You Tube has proven to be a great tool for my knowledge base. Check out these links:

Cut Down a Tree Safely - YouTube

Tree Cutting Safety, Part 2: Bucking and Cutting - YouTube

Spring pole safety - YouTube

How to Work with Chainsaws - Limbing - YouTube

using ladders for tree work - YouTube

I know you asked for beta on which saw to get, but I'm hoping this may be helpful in increasing your ability to make it to the dinner bell...

Knowledge is power. :)

Thanks for the replys fella's, It looks like I'll be going with the stihl farmboss and an 18" bar...

I lucked out and my father used to cut trees for a living when he was younger so I can have him show me the ropes. (he used a Jonsered, in the 80s)

my friend has a whole bunch of property with alot of trees that he needs cleared out so i'll have alot of practice.

Back