First complete carve....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What do you guys think is a fair price on this? Its eucalyptus, and is about 20 inches or so tall...

I plan to mount a tiki torch in the top of it...

I can't base it on time spent because it took me longer being an amateur...

This msg was sent using my EVO 4G using Tapatalk.

Very cool carvings I cannot believe that you carved that well and that large on your first carving. I really hope that I can carve that well as well. What can you suggest on first time carvers? any word of advise that can help me successfully complete my first work? thank you very much!

take your time. HOLD THAT SAW!!! until you know more of what you're doing, you will have the tendency to have a little kick-back... if you're holding tight and have the right amount of throttle on it, it will happen a lot less...

get the right equipment! seriously, get chaps. get the FINE mesh bug eye goggles (#30) (i love mine)... don't even attempt to carve anything until you get a hard-nose carving bar... i tried making a simple bench with my stock 20" stihl bar on my ms280 and it was not a very good experience.

i've made 2 more tiki heads and mounted tiki torches in them :-D the local restaurant is going to let me display them with a price tag there. still don't really know what to ask for them... the last one probably took me 2.5 hours start to finish w/ burning and glazing.

another tip, watch the pros, get patterns, etc.

Pricing is a very hard topic which has been discussed here before by some who make a very good living doing it. I think the general theory is prices vary greatly from place to place. You have to feel out the local market. Check out the merchandise of other local carvers and their prices for comparable work. If you undercut them you won't make many friends especially if they are making a living doing it and you are just at the hobby stage. Selling to the County Club and selling at the local flea market will also dictate 2 different prices so you have to look at the target salary brackets. Good luck.

Two more done

4768d343-028b-ff31.jpg

I'll put up a better pictures with the tiki torches soon...

I finished my bear finally too

This msg was sent using my EVO 4G using Tapatalk.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back