First ever Negative feedback on an MS660.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottWojo

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
This is the story of a saw sale gone bad. Guess the guy was short fused?

Three weeks after the saw was received the guy sends me an email saying the saw was a POS and won't run. I knew the saw ran well when it left, so I told him it can not be anything major. "Take it to the local dealer and let me know, I will take care of everything."

Well, the guy emails me back a week later and says the saw won't run because of a stripped cylinder bolt. And the Biggest baddest dealership in SC wants over $250 to but a "Heli Coil" in it to repair it.

"Whoa horsey," I said. several options were here. What do you want to do? I can repair the saw and add a upgraded muffler , give a full refund, or anything else other than paying for you to be ripped off with a substandard repair.

He chose to send the saw back for repair. I took the saw to my local Stihl dealer and had them add a time sert to the engine and add the upgraded muffler and tune it. Also had them clean the snot out of the saw.

So with the repair and shipping it was $125. Then $20 for the Stihl OEM front muffler cover that was upgraded.

So at least I know its done right, and its the same repair I would want on my saw. Saw back and I do not hear from the guy for like 2 weeks. Then....

I send an eMail saying that I hope he was happy with the saw and the muffler. And if there was anything I could help him out with in the future...to just ask.

The return email stated the saw still did not run and I ripped him off blah blah blah....Then I looked at the feedback, smacked me in the head with a first ever Neg.

After the sale has been over and feedback left, I still offered a full refund and to take the saw back with no response.

Even after all that I did to try and help him out, I still gave him the benefit of doubt and trusted him. But, he never once returned the effort and good will that was shown to him.

Last edited:
i consider feedback only part of the equation when i am buying. i think many of you guys put too much effort into keeping a perfect score. when i buy, i look at the score, read a little feedback, and mostly let my gut tell me if the description matches with my experience and what i see. a negative ding is not necessarily a deterent to keep me from bidding on an item. i know that with the protections afforded by ebay and PP, if i have a problem i can probably get it resolved in my favor. unfortunantly for many sellers, many unscrupulous buyers take advantage of that same protection. i say if you have done a good job of checking out a saw and disclosing any problems, then i would post a response to any negative feedback and let the prospective buyers decide for themselves.

The few things I sell on ebay I am now trying to go over with a fine tooth comb to expel any doubts about what I am listing.

I think people get caught up in the auction sometimes and end up paying more than they wanted and then take it out on the seller when they find something else cheaper after the sale goes through and they take it out on you.

I got a negative feedback for an a lot of kids clothes I listed that sold for $0.01. I sent the clothes for less than my listed shipping cost and the lady gave me a negative for shipping to high on an auction she won for $0.01 you can't please everyone.

Im actually in the process of trying to get a seller to take a saw back. he said it ran great but could benefit from a carb kit. But I cant get it to start and the p/c are scored bad with 115psi. All he has done to help was send me a link for a new aftermarket p/c. All I can say is I wish I bought my saw from you and not him!! Haha! So I guess there are bad apples on both sides of the fence and you did what you could and most decent people would have been pleased with your help even if in the end the saw didnt run. But some A-holes are just never pleased!

the one thing I have learned from this place is that I will never as long as I breathe sell anything on ebay.

Yes. I have sold quite a few things on ebay but its getting harder and harder to cover yourself. It's not worth it anymore IMO. Craigslist is the way to go.

Also, if you're buying on ebay, in particular a saw, expect worse case scenario regardless of pics/description.

You can't and wont make everyone happy, some people are just jerks from the day they are born. No way to get around it at all! It sucks, but it's life!
I look at a sellers rep, if it's 90% or better, it's a good seller and I'm not afraid. I know there is going to be some jerk that pisses and moans about some crap, no matter how hard the seller tries!

E-Bay is just like any auction,you are taking a chance when you buy. At a regular auction usually the auctioneer states that all items are sold as is where is unless other wise stated. Usually they will start a Chain saw,at least you know it will start and run. But you are taking a chance on any action purchase. So I bid accordingly. Sometimes people really make me wonder,I have sold lots of items at auction. There are times when I have lost money,there are other times when the item brings more then I paid retail.I sold an air compressor I bought new and used hard for 8 years. It brought $65.00 more then I paid for it new.
Always research before you buy. If that saw is worth say $200.00 used in perfect shape. Look it over good and deduct the value of repairs to make it perfect. Then subtract the unknown,The saw may look great but mechanically you may be taking a chance. So stop at $100 or $125.especially if the seller says it runs good but he is selling it as is where is with no guarantee. You may not get the saw,but you also may not get the head aches that the guy that bought it and paid $250.00 to own a $200.00 saw. And finds out he has problems.

i consider feedback only part of the equation when i am buying. i think many of you guys put too much effort into keeping a perfect score. when i buy, i look at the score, read a little feedback, and mostly let my gut tell me if the description matches with my experience and what i see. a negative ding is not necessarily a deterent to keep me from bidding on an item. i know that with the protections afforded by ebay and PP, if i have a problem i can probably get it resolved in my favor. unfortunantly for many sellers, many unscrupulous buyers take advantage of that same protection. i say if you have done a good job of checking out a saw and disclosing any problems, then i would post a response to any negative feedback and let the prospective buyers decide for themselves.

So far I have 100% feedback, but I'm not going toi take any crap from anybody over it. If you study eBay for a while you will notice that a rare negative feedback has little or no effect on price. I think everybody understands that there is a moron or three out there buying.

This is the story of a saw sale gone bad. Guess the guy was short fused?

Three weeks after the saw was received the guy sends me an email saying the saw was a POS and won't run. I knew the saw ran well when it left, so I told him it can not be anything major. "Take it to the local dealer and let me know, I will take care of everything."

Well, the guy emails me back a week later and says the saw won't run because of a stripped cylinder bolt. And the Biggest baddest dealership in SC wants over $250 to but a "Heli Coil" in it to repair it.

"Whoa horsey," I said. several options were here. What do you want to do? I can repair the saw and add a upgraded muffler , give a full refund, or anything else other than paying for you to be ripped off with a substandard repair.

He chose to send the saw back for repair. I took the saw to my local Stihl dealer and had them add a time sert to the engine and add the upgraded muffler and tune it. Also had them clean the snot out of the saw.

So with the repair and shipping it was $125. Then $20 for the Stihl OEM front muffler cover that was upgraded.

So at least I know its done right, and its the same repair I would want on my saw. Saw back and I do not hear from the guy for like 2 weeks. Then....

I send an eMail saying that I hope he was happy with the saw and the muffler. And if there was anything I could help him out with in the future...to just ask.

The return email stated the saw still did not run and I ripped him off blah blah blah....Then I looked at the feedback, smacked me in the head with a first ever Neg.

After the sale has been over and feedback left, I still offered a full refund and to take the saw back with no response.

Even after all that I did to try and help him out, I still gave him the benefit of doubt and trusted him. But, he never once returned the effort and good will that was shown to him.

Heck with all that, I wanna know how you stripped out the cylinder screw hole, don't you use a torque wrench?, guess not, oh well high time ya start....

I don't address a problem until it becomes a problem!! Ebay is a problem and never will I look there or do business with them..problem solved!!

Smart man. I had a e-bay bought 034 come in the shop this past Friday, what a joke. Pieced together with 036 parts and best of all was the fuel hose, talk about a jerry rig, it leaked more fuel than the Valdez, it was pouring. Guy paid $204.00 for that hunk of junk. I told him thats whatcha get for being cheap, he actually agreed with me, oh well...

Heck with all that, I wanna know how you stripped out the cylinder screw hole, don't you use a torque wrench?, guess not, oh well high time ya start....

You know I would like to know that too. I have never even come close to stripping out a cylinder thread. And prior to this, I have never seen one stripped out.

i've been wanting to buy a small torque wrench for some time now. well, it's on the way!

Good idea. Nothing worse than overtightening a screw and then ut ohhhhhhh threads gone. Many don't realize just how soft those mag cases are and how easy it is to strip the threads out of one by overtightening. The torque wrench prevents all that non-sense..

The 1/4" torque wrenches are handy, started using one years ago on bedding rifle actions and scope mounts, they save a lot of headaches and provide consistency.

You know I would like to know that too. I have never even come close to stripping out a cylinder thread. And prior to this, I have never seen one stripped out.

Ya saying it stripped out on its own or the buyer stripped it? Granted when a screw comes loose and works it way out it will sometimes rock back and forth and will take some thread with it. A cylinder bolt on a MS660 isn't such a screw that will do that though, its fairly large. I've seen some back completely out and be gone but the threads were fine in the case. I actually had one 066 come in one time with only one screw holding the cylinder head on, two were gone and one had the head snapped off. Four new screws and she was purring again, surprized me it didn't fry before it quit running. Regadless though the torque wrench is the best medicine for making sure things stay put and not do any damage....

Last edited:
Back