First impressions of my New 346xp NE

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hammer0419

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just reciently sold my 372xp as it was just too big for strictly my firewood needs. I purchased a new 346xp with an 18" bar and 3 loops of 20BPX (semi-chisel) chain. I first noticed it was pretty much the same size and weight of my old 350. Much nicer to carry and use all day cutting firewood. Once I fired her up and started cutting I quickly realized this was not my old 350! HOLY *#*# THIS SAW KICKS BUTT!!!! I was kind of scared letting my 372xp go for a much small saw. Obviously this is not a 372 ,but for a small dog it sure has some BITE!!. Truely and awesome saw. I could not be happier with my decision and choice of saw. I plan on porting the muffler in the next week or two so we will see what that adds? 346xp HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

I just reciently sold my 372xp as it was just too big for strictly my firewood needs. I purchased a new 346xp with an 18" bar and 3 loops of 20BPX (semi-chisel) chain. I first noticed it was pretty much the same size and weight of my old 350. Much nicer to carry and use all day cutting firewood. Once I fired her up and started cutting I quickly realized this was not my old 350! HOLY *#*# THIS SAW KICKS BUTT!!!! I was kind of scared letting my 372xp go for a much small saw. Obviously this is not a 372 ,but for a small dog it sure has some BITE!!. Truely and awesome saw. I could not be happier with my decision and choice of saw. I plan on porting the muffler in the next week or two so we will see what that adds? 346xp HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Nothing like a new saw, sounds like you made a great choice. New saw rep sent!

Congratulations and I fully agree with you.

Just wait until it gets broken in (8-12 tanks), you will really be impressed! :msp_biggrin:

Congrats on the new saw! I myself bought a 346 XP this spring mainly because of what I read here, cannot say I am in any way disapointed with my choice! One word...SWEET!

Another new 346xp here........

Congrats on the new saw! I've only had mine for a month or so.........it's not past the 8-12 tank break in either so there's something to look forward to.

Did you sell your 372 on here (classifieds) by chance? I remember a like new 372 that was listed for a good price. It only had like 3-4 tanks of fuel through it. If so I wish I had bought it to go with the 346.

Congrats on the new saw! I've only had mine for a month or so.........it's not past the 8-12 tank break in either so there's something to look forward to.

Did you sell your 372 on here (classifieds) by chance? I remember a like new 372 that was listed for a good price. It only had like 3-4 tanks of fuel through it. If so I wish I had bought it to go with the 346.

Yes that was mine. She was barely used.

Probably the all time best two saw combo ever. :msp_biggrin:

346's stomp 260's......I know, I have both.

OP, MM and put an unlimited coil on it. It will really shine. You will be surprised how close to you dearly departed 372 it is in logs <10" .

Congrats on your choise! :cheers:

Now, get a loop of 20LPX to try on the saw, for clean wood! :msp_smile:

Imagine how good a MS260 would have felt in your hands, especially since you like the 346XP so much.

Like a relict from the 80s with lots of vibes, mediocre performance and an air filter cover that gets loose and falls off with hard use?

And a bigger hole in his wallet?

[flinging that poo today like there's no tomorrow!]

Last edited:
Congratulations. I just myself a 346xp last week. So far I love it. What does the NE stand for or signify (as in 346xp NE)? Is it New Edition? When did that come into play? Mine has a gray clutch cover instead of orange, which I don't recall seeing on older saws. The dealer told me that is a 2011 change. I'm curious what else may be different than previous models as well.

Last edited:
Congratulations. I just myself a 346xp last week. So far I love it. What does the NE stand for or signify (as in 346xp NE)? Is it New Edition? When did that come into play? Mine has a gray clutch cover instead of orange, which I don't recall seeing on older saws. The dealer told me that is a 2011 change. I'm curious what else may be different than previous models as well.

New edition. The cc's on the model were increased from ~45cc to ~50cc a few years back. All the new edition ones have the silver clutch cover.

NE stands for New Edition. I.e the 50 cc version of the saw. The Old Edition (OE for short) was 46 cc if I'm not mistaken.

Edit: Seems I was mistaken, it's 45cc's (See mike's post). Also, beaten to the punch.

Last edited:
FC, you need a new dealer. He obviously hasn't sold many 346's. The grey cover came with the conversion from 45cc to 50cc. The OE and NE are not official designations, but as you correctly deduced, NE is for new edition (and OE is used for old edition). I believe the change happened in '08.

Last edited:
FC, you need a new dealer. He obviously hasn't sold many 346's. The grey cover came with the conversion from 45cc to 50cc. The OE and NE are not official designations, but as you correctly deduced, NE is for new edition (and OE is used for old edition). I believe the change happened in '08.

Right, except the NE hit the market here in sept 2007, a month or so later in the US. Production of the NE started earlier that year.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back