First post and first chainsaw, I'll be needing help, I'm sure!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaeger_S2k

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Great warm helpful site. Have been a licensed listener for a few weeks and have gleaned a lot of good info and advice (mostly overheard from others questions).

I'm a lover of profession equipment and have most of my everyday tools in the professional range, I'm a plumber/Gas fitter to trade and was trading as a handyman for a couple of years, so have an appreciation of prof equipment and rarely would buy anything else.

Like the style of Husky's and have a dealer within 50 miles. Looked at the 240, 240E, 236 and a lot of other saws only to find on searching here, they aren't in the pro league, not that thay aren't good saws. However I walked the line and was persuaded by the unanimous opinions of the 262XP and managed to find one, so I bought it. It's going to give me the option of running a larger chain for anything offered that needs the muscle but due to it's weight isn't a heavy lump. From memory I think it'll handle a 28" with relative ease (now that's a big chain to me!) It's currently sporting a 15" but that needs replacing.

So we're planning on a wood burning stove and that'll be installed sometime next year.

Planning ahead we're going to start getting wood and stocking up. Initially we've got access to 300 Lodge Pole Christmas trees (my friend supplies them to shops and offices for the outside of their buildings) that will be coming down in the next 2 weeks. I know a 262XP is a bit over kill for the C/T's but I've also got hold of a new electric 2.4Kw chainsaw that'll deal with them quite well. My few on the 262 was that it's a great one saw plan till others are affordable and available.

It's second hand and has a busted chain Brake Band - 503512101, I've already sourced that in the UK for around £8 plus delivery, so that'll be the first thing to do. I'll be cleaning and inspecting and lubing as I go and was wondering if there's anything you'd recommend in the process?

I've taken pictures, so far, haven't yet fired it up.
Was intending checking the piston via the muffler/exhaust and looking at the spark plug for discolouration. The saw was bought as a runner requiring chain brake repair and new chain, but it looks in reasonable condition and not particularly abused.

I'm hoping someone will identify the age etc from the plate (photo) and based on that what would others plan of attack be to freshen it up, carb kit? And what would you be looking for to prevent any future failure.

So here she is, and many thanks for everything so far.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Looks like a 2000 model saw made the 26th week of the year and the 105th saw that week. If thats what your asking?

well you posted pictures successfully in your first post, and you picked a pretty derned good saw. Hit the ground running why don't ya?

well you posted pictures successfully in your first post, and you picked a pretty derned good saw. Hit the ground running why don't ya?

The pictures, much the same as other forums, just used to it.

The saw, picking a good one is really credit to the forum. It's a mine field out there for those new to chainsaws. I used the info from here to make the decision, I'll keep the thread updated with progress, should get a chance to work on it tomorrow.

Allan

Like the style of Husky's and have a dealer within 50 miles.

Hi Allan,

Welcome to the forum. Just picking up on this as you are the nearest to me that I've ever found in the UK, is this the guy in Burscough Bridge?

Dan

Hi Allan,

Welcome to the forum. Just picking up on this as you are the nearest to me that I've ever found in the UK, is this the guy in Burscough Bridge?

Dan

Hello DAn,
Where are you?
I found the guy in Burscough through a search for parts, there are a couple more around this general area although no coverage really local to me. There are Stihl places but they're hire shops with little expertise in the area. Good for oil and chains.

As you can see my real first venture into chain saws, although I have used them before but never my own, but I'm no fool, well I don't think so?:msp_biggrin:

Muffler has to come off to know what you have to work with. Picture of the actual piston/cylinder would be nice. If the top end is good, then start buying the fix it parts. 262xp is an excellent choice for a chainsaw

Great saw and first post!

Thanks sunfish.

that is truely a fine saw ,well balanced,powerful. my oldest son had one and sold it before I knew it. Love to have it back.:bang:

thanks eat a peach, looks like the info I got from here worked, well so far!

Muffler has to come off to know what you have to work with. Picture of the actual piston/cylinder would be nice. If the top end is good, then start buying the fix it parts. 262xp is an excellent choice for a chainsaw

That'll be real soon, before I bought it I was told the saw ran fine but the chain brake spring was busted and it needed a new chain, it came at a good price so I bought it.
I've started with the chain brake as I'm not keen to leave it busted, don't want it to be lying working without a brake as it'll end up being used and used!

Got the Clutch/brake side panel off, cleaned it, it was full of dust and oil and discovered the brake spring isn't as per the schematic I have for the assembly on the 262, looks different and it's got me thinking the panel has been swapped out for another that fitted.

Wonder if anyone can help with this and then an assembly problem I've got (which may be because the panels different).

So here's the panel I have, the broken chain brake spring and the 'problem spring' that appears to have no where to go.

attachment.php

Panel A fits over the Chain Brake Spring tensioner, you can see the Chain Brake Spring is, what I would call a wrap over as it passes below itself to get to the retainer on the right side of the cover. So there the first problem.

attachment.php

attachment.php

The Chain Brake Spring listed as for the 262XP looks like this ...

attachment.php

As you can see it's different from my panel and that spring # 503 51 21-01 wouldn't fit.

From what I have located I also need...

Spring 501 87 54-01 (this is missing) and Spring 501 87 47-01 (one of the legs is broken off)

So my project is causing me to halt with ignorance at an early stage :redface:

I then thought I'll check if everything else fits back ok, and I cannot for the life of me work out where the (sexy looking) spring with the double twist (marked as B in the photo's) goes.

I found it stuffed up inside the chain brake handle, surely not it's living quarters?

As you can see from the last photo

attachment.php

There doesn't seem to be any space for that spring to fit with the handle onto the locators on the panel.

Hope this makes sense.

B spring does indeed fit inside the handle. It has been quite a while so I don't remember how the B spring fits in there but there are only two ways obviously. The spring just tucks up inside the black brake handle. If the brake cover is made of metal it is from a Husqvarna 261 model.

Last edited:
Nice looking 262, Im sure it will clean up real well too. And..... welcome aboard! I lurked for quite a while. I broke down and signed up about two and half years ago. I have learned quite a bit, and met quite a few good dudes along the way.

B spring does indeed fit inside the handle. It has been quite a while so I don't remember how the B spring fits in there but there are only two ways obviously. The spring just tucks up inside the black brake handle. If the brake cover is made of metal it is from a Husqvarna 261 model.

It looks like metal, it feels like metal and it sounds like metal, I guess it's metal!

I'll check out the details on the 261's brake chain spring and let others know. Oh Bugger, just checked the 261 and it's the same as the 262?

Thanks for that and thanks and a hello to procarbine2k1.

Tonight I removed the muffler/silencer and checked out the piston and cylinder, they are both lovely and clean.

Sadly the photo's are poor in flash and will post some better ones with daylight hopefully tomorrow.

Anyone any further ideas on the Chain Brake Spring needed and what model this plate has come from?

I checked the Husqvarna 261 IPL and I come up with 503704401 for the brake band/spring.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...Jt5FOf&sig=AHIEtbTKqdJVOe_pKg0D-yHQVeaWIC4zvA

Hi almondgt,
That's the same as the 262 IPL the casing I have uses a 'wrap under' spring.

Look at the image and you'll see the anchor for the spring is to the right and under the activation white plastic thingy where the other end of the spring goes?

See the Circles on both images and you'll see the anchor points are different.

262 and 261 IPL

attachment.php

The plate/housing that I have

attachment.php

Latest posts

Back