First post and first chainsaw, I'll be needing help, I'm sure!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Parts ordered and collecting tomorrow can rebuild the chain brake, Hoorah!

7201233-51 Pin to secure Chain Brake Spring
5037044-01 Chain Brake Spring
5037049-01 Brake Spring
5018747-01 Spring
5037045-01 Dust Guard

I'm intending to grease and lub where required and obvious.

Would you use hi-temp grease or any general purpose grease?

I just use bearing grease and sometimes light oil but not sure what parts you are lubricating. Remember oil and grease collect dust/dirt

Yeah,
Always been a problem, I use silicone spray to lub a lot of tools and surfaces as it doesn't attract the dust. But there's times when good old grease is the only answer. Ordered a new dust shield as the old one was snapped at the bottom, this should help keep the muck out.

Bring something over here, I need to hit it!

Hello all,
Collected the parts for the Chain Brake Assembly and got some advice from the agent regarding the handle and the double spring.

If you look at the IPL....... (I've removed the numbers and some graphics that don't relate to make the image less busy and easier to see)

attachment.php

The double spring is placed up inside the handle, in the same orientation as the IPL. I've then secured the spring through the small hole using the pin and circlip through the handle. Have to say that wasn't as straight forward as it seem as it's a tight squeeze up there, but with some jiggery pokery it came through and the circlip applied.

This isn't the bast image but gives an idea of the positioning of this spring and having tried all the various ways it will fit inside the handle (i.e. 2) this appears the correct one, could do with confirmation thought?

attachment.php

I think this is correct?

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Onto the Chain Brake Assembly.

Here's the IPL again I've removed the clutter to show the pieces better.

attachment.php

The left hand spring is fitted, pretty obvious and easy, as is the Dust Cover bottom right.

The drawing is actually incorrect, but it's pretty easy to follow (they've actually used the same drawing as the 262 but this is the 261 assembly, the following pictures will make it clearer).

The Chain Brake Band is secured to the Flexible Knee Joint and anchored at it's other end.

The Activating Spring, the one that goes over the plastic part of the Flexible Knee Joint is fitted, and the Flexible Knee Joint is secured with an anchor pin as shown on the drawing.

Assembled with Activating Spring Not Located.

attachment.php

Assembled with Activating Spring Located.

attachment.php

Can anyone confirm this is correct?
________________________________________________________________________________________________

Now try as I might I cannot get the hole in the handle to present itself anywhere close to the securing hole. I realise there are some strong forces involved but it just won't go on. So I'm stuck, which makes me think something isn't assembled correctly, or I'm just not using the right 'hammer' :laugh: or technique.

One thing that I have noticed, when the handle is presented to the assembly the curved part of the double spring (that's inside the handle) seems to foul the spring left hand side of picture 3. Maybe I should have numbered the pieces too?

Any questions, please ask as I may not have explained or given enough details here. If you need anything clearer let me know. If you'd like another image from a different angle again, let me know.

Hope someone can steer me right on this as I hate defeat! The problem I have is that the Chain Brake was broken when I bought the saw so don't know what it looked like correctly assembled.

Your brake band installation looks fine. Pretty sure you will have to manually uncock the lever that is making the brake band engaged. The brake band should be in the open position. I would install the black plastic cover with screws over the spring assembly so nothing can go flying out. The preceeding will take some ingenuity and patience to accomplish

Last edited:
Cool that it has a mag clutch cover - most of them has a plastic one!

Sadly it has a small crack/fracture at the bottom, but not too noticeable.

Have successfully rebuilt the brake and have had the starter off and rewound :biggrin: which was fun, will update later with my findings, as it will keep everything in one place if anyone else needs the info.

I reckon it weighs about 3 to 4 pounds lighter now, after clearing all the crud off the poor sweet. It hadn't seen an air line ever.
Some of the parts became metal or coloured once it was blown and scrubbed.

Sadly that's all hidden now with outer covers but I know I have a shiny heat shield behind the exhaust/muffler!

Latest posts

Back